Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

In all fairness, I have expensive (but certainly not $12k) camera gear, but I still am not the world's best portrait photographer. In fact I consider myself rather subpar right now. Rather than lose a year of pictures of my (hypothetical) children, I'd rather pay you now while I practice.

05-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

A D600 thread has been for more than a week in the Non-Pentax subforum where this discussion should be too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/183802...ff-camera.html
05-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Makes sense from a marketing standpoint, sell people an inexpensive camera then charge them through the neck for the lenses to go with it. It's possible that Nikon is selling this camera pretty close to cost, as I suspect they are doing with the D800, at least closer than traditional full frame cameras, but I agree, the price of full frame sensors must be dropping and manufacturing yields increasing. Come on Pentax, show us some love at Photokina!
05-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Young guy at my company has his first child coming and his first dSLR, too - Stopped in my office last week to let me know he ordered a D3x and 24~70.2.8G and 70~200/2.8G. Because, you know, its for the children. Don't want to miss those precious moments.

SRSLY
ROTFL what an idiot

05-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What about when the children are having a precious moment that's rather panoramic? He should really get a wide angle, too.
Yeah, he goes stupidly pricey and he can't even do it fully
05-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I'm going to laugh when he tries to strap that baby seat in the Cayman. Boy, does he have an education coming.

#toomuchmoney
05-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

You know what, when my son was born, I ran out and bought a K20D, 18-55 II, and FA50. That was my first DSLR.

Is that also idiotic and stupid, only to a lesser magnitude?

Just curious. Because if I had more money at the time, I might have bought more expensive stuff. I'm eager to be judged, so thanks in advance!

05-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

No, it's not. IMO this is a good choice.
But buying such a pricey unit and lenses for your kids pictures is nonsense.
05-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
You know what, when my son was born, I ran out and bought a K20D, 18-55 II, and FA50. That was my first DSLR.

Is that also idiotic and stupid, only to a lesser magnitude?

Just curious. Because if I had more money at the time, I might have bought more expensive stuff. I'm eager to be judged, so thanks in advance!
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No, it's not. IMO this is a good choice.
The point is he could have bought a K-5 and DA* lenses to cover and gotten the same images. But he has to have the most expensive because he has the money.

Hell, my wife got by with a Canon film PnS. I had an MESuper. We're scanning negatives and posting them to my wife's blog. My grandmother had a box camera. My parents had a C3.
05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
Pentaxian

My parents had a C3.
A Mamiya C3? I love my C330 :ugh:
Too bad it is that heavy. I guess I should get a Rolleiflex for street shooting...
05-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Young guy at my company has his first child coming and his first dSLR, too - Stopped in my office last week to let me know he ordered a D3x and 24~70.2.8G and 70~200/2.8G. Because, you know, its for the children. Don't want to miss those precious moments.

SRSLY
That is funny. He should have gotten a 645D! Well a lot of becoming new parents take many irrational descisions, like buying a big van for a child that doesn't even walk, buy a camera, take part in a childrens study found (wich is mostly just an insurreance ripoff that takes your money for 21 years and pays like nothing), stop working to discover how fulltime parenthood will be like.

He doesn't have a flash on that D3x
05-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
QuoteQuote:
ROTFL what an idiot
QuoteQuote:
QuoteQuote:
But he has to have the most expensive because he has the money.

Yep - I hate stupid idiotic guys who somehow manage to make enough money that they can buy top of the line gear simply because they want to.

If I had to gauge my purchasing habits by my skill levels, or on my ability to justify wanting things to other people, I'd never have anything nice (and not be nearly as happy). If I can afford it, when purchasing a camera (or anything else), I too spend what it takes to get EXACTLY what I want - whatever it is. ESPECIALLY if it involves my kids! (or my contentment).

Surprising that some tend to get so hung up on how others spend and enjoy THEIR money.
Life is too short to settle.

Last edited by jmg257; 05-04-2012 at 01:48 PM.
05-04-2012, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Didn't you get the memo?

Effective immediately, all gear purchases need to be approved by a supermajority of PentaxForums users.

I also heard that Pentax is required to file for approval of all new product releases, but I don't think that regulation has gone into effect yet.
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
Pentaxian

SRSLY
Let me guess: He got a pink Nikon J-1 for his wife for free with that purchase. And she will take all the good pictures of the kid.
05-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

SRSLY
Oh, my.

When my first little guy was a few months old, I upgraded from a P&S to a Pentax K100DS, and I had to work hard on that justification.

The D3x just makes no sense whatsoever. $7000 for a camera that's not going to be as useful as the $3000 D800, when even the D800 is overkill for kids shots alone. I would suggest almost any camera, and any entry-level model before the D3x for someone who's never shot before. The $6000 he could have saved could have gone into a college fund or bonds for that kid... If he wants to really get into the hobby outside of kid shooting, or just really, really loves expensive gear, maybe it makes more sense, but still... Makes me wonder if he got guilt-sold into something he doesn't need by an aggressive, less-than-honest camera store employee.