Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #91
Inactive Account

:
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I was basing it on the fact that he was a "young guy" about to have his first child. I doubt he has shot film slr for 20 yrs.
Man...if figuring out how to operate a DSLR is such an issue, just imagine what he's up against when he tries raising kids! They don't even come with instructions!

Maybe he figures he can learn how to work that camera during all his down time...Now THAT is silly!

Last edited by jmg257; 05-06-2012 at 07:09 PM.
05-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Man...if figuring out how to operate a DSLR is such an issue, just imagine what he's up against when he tries raising kids! They don't even come wih instructions!
That's the truth. And each one is a custom unit, one of, if you will. bigthumbsup
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #93
Inactive Account

You ain't kidding! Ya boy...

Think he'll be learning that camera in all his free time? .sucker!

Zzzzzzzzz...

Last edited by jmg257; 05-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.
05-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whoa - I didn't expect to start WWIII here about some 27 year old kid who has inherited money and I think bought more camera than is necessary for the intended purpose. Of course he has the right to buy the camera. Of course the store has the right to sell him the camera. Of course he has the right to buy and drive a German sedan that can accelerate 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds and drive 95% of his miles at a 35mph speed limit.

My point was he knows nothing about dSLR's, went to the store, asked to see their best camera and bought what they sold him. It's legal, it's the American Way, I wouldn't do it. I was pointing out the irony of "needing" a FF camera at all.

Never went to driving school, either. But who knows - he's the kind of guy who will figure out how to use the thing. Maybe he'll get his value out of it.

05-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #95
Inactive Account

On a side note, so much for the D800 & its AF being a better choice...

And the Nikon D800 autofocus saga continues (with some comments on specific lens performance) ? Ming Thein | Photographer
05-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He's describing a QC issue with certain D800s left-side AF points, not a problem with an in-spec D800.

If you don't have one from one of the 'bad' batches, you're golden!

(at least there's one small upside to being way down on the pre-order list... but still, I'd rather get one sooner and take my chances )
05-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #97
Banned

and he says:
QuoteQuote:
AFS 85/1.4 G: Inconsistent. Wide open displays LCA and LoCA at edges. Nowhere near as good as it was on the D700/ D3/ D3s. Stopped down to f2.8, it improves, but only to about the same level as the 70-200/2.8 II wide open. Note T stop is pretty high for this lens though – probably 2/3 stop more than the 70-200/2.8 II, and half a stop more than the 85/1.8 G for the same aperture. Good to very good stopped down. Honestly, I’m not liking this lens very much anymore.
Luckily that isn't an expensive lens

05-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #98

OM-5 & V-One, way of the future?!

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
D3x, first dslr? He might manage to miss those precious moments.
Dear me! A V1 would have been a much better choice, in my book, anyway, of why not a K-r?!

While waiting for a Pentax FF (with screw drive) we've invested in two cameras that I also wish Pentax made versions of: The OM-D E-M5 (stupid name, why not just OM-5?!), and a V1 (like the Buzz Bomb, of the WWII era).

Not perfect cameras, but so much more advanced than anything made by Pentax, till today: The only real fault with the OM-5 is that it is slightly too small to hold securely (unless you buy the grip, a costly add-on) if you have big hands. But it is a technological dream: Already (after less than a week) my wife has managed to take better pictures of birds in flight, than we ever have managed with the Pentax we own/have owned (K-x, K-7, or the K-5), even with the puny Sigma 30!

The lightning fast focus of the V1 works best with native lenses, but I have managed to take supremely sharp shots of birds on the ground, free-hand, with a equivalent focal length of 816mm, using a fairly cheap AF-S G lens. No way I could do the same with my beloved K-5, so from now on our K-5s are more or less restricted to wide angle work, up to short telephoto lenses, say the DA50-135, a superb lens, by the way.

Both the OM-5 and the V-One would do well with longer native lenses (Panasonic makes a fairly long lens for the m4/3, but that is not color-corrected if attached to an Olympus body). Say a 100-400mm for the V1, and something similar for the OM-5. The V1 lacks a wide as well, while the OM-5 has quite a wide selection (but no really wide, like 24 on a FF.

While I would love a FF Pentax, I think it might be time for me to switch to Nikon full time, if the rumored D600 will arrive in the near future. The Aptina guys seem to have a magic touch, at least as far as the V1 & J1 goes!

DPReview recently published their interactive studio shot with the K-01, so we exchanged the gun slingers to K-01, K-5, V-One, and OM-5. Very interesting results, to say the least!

We also tried out the NEX-5N, as we happen to own that, too! Going from JPEG ISO 200, to 3200, and RAW the same way the worst performer, wasn't the puny V1 sensor, as one would think, nor the ugly K-01, but the K-5! This test doesn't stress the cameras dynamic range (an area the K-5 is pretty impressive), but their resolution. Certain subjects, like the wrist watch, at high ISO, isn't the V-One's forte, while it is with relatively high ISO where the K-01 shines. The colors might be a little subdued with the K-01, but resolution seems more than OK. Of the two Pentaxes, the K-5 seems overall loser, to my surprise!
05-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Checking the review it doesn't seem especially complicated - has basic PASM exposure modes and 3 metering modes and 3 focus modes like most DSLRs. Has AF, AE and EV features and settings and controls like many other DSLRs, and apparently some real nice extras too. A solid build. 51 AF points. Dedicated controls including Fn buttons. Decent control layout. 3" LCD. Top & rear LCD. Virtual horizon level. Nice VF. User modes. Even on-screen help. Actually looks like a nice camera!

What am I missing? Why wouldn't someone looking for a good camera want one?
I assume it comes with an English language manual...so do you need to be a picture taking super-genius to use the D3x? Are there hidden "professional only" lockout features on the camera or something that render it useless otherwise?
Well, I can just say that for me personally, a D3x would be pretty large to chase around my child with and would end up getting left at home a lot of the time in favor of a point and shoot. This to me is probably the biggest issue. Anyway, I would have always viewed the D3x as Nikon's answer to medium format (last generation), more of a landscape camera than a portrait camera. If he has the money, it is certainly no skin off my nose, but sometimes buying the most expensive camera and lenses doesn't get you the best tool for the job.

As to how easy it is to learn an SLR, I would say it is pretty easy, but I also know people like my brother, who has been shooting with SLRs for years and insists on using them in green mode. If I pick up his D7000 and change it even to P mode, he changes it back quickly.
05-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As to how easy it is to learn an SLR, I would say it is pretty easy, but I also know people like my brother, who has been shooting with SLRs for years and insists on using them in green mode. If I pick up his D7000 and change it even to P mode, he changes it back quickly.
Why would you ever want to take a Nikon out of Proffesional mode?
05-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I can just say that for me personally, a D3x would be pretty large to chase around my child with and would end up getting left at home a lot of the time in favor of a point and shoot. This to me is probably the biggest issue. Anyway, I would have always viewed the D3x as Nikon's answer to medium format (last generation), more of a landscape camera than a portrait camera. If he has the money, it is certainly no skin off my nose, but sometimes buying the most expensive camera and lenses doesn't get you the best tool for the job.

Probably has (or will soon get) an expensive P&S, as well. I have a lot of grandkid photos with a Panasonic ZS-7. Now, if he then gets a bridge camera and a rugged/weatherproof P&S, (to go with the camcorder that's probably handier to use in video mode than a DSLR), we know he's ..... ummm .... acquisitive.

The stills had better produce great JPEGs. He won't have much time to learn raw processing!

Last edited by glanglois; 05-10-2012 at 05:03 AM.
05-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Nikonrumors has a new update up about the D600.

If true, I'd seriously consider switching over in about a year or so. Pair a $1500-$1700 D600 with the 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8 and you've got a pretty nice setup.

I've currently been using a K200D with the 15mm and 40mm Limiteds along with the 58mm Voigtlander - but I've been wanting more resolution, a better AF system and a large, bright, gorgeous VF that a 24x36mm format camera can provide.
05-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awww come on! Their need to buy the most expensive, newest gear is a boon for those who really do know how to use the gear. I cannot tell you how many D700 cameras listed on Craig's List contain the following text "low shutter count used mostly indoors at home." Followed by "reason for selling, I'm upgrading to the D800." It means a lot of affordable (relatively speaking) D700 bodies available with reallly low shutter counts. The sellers are so anxious to plunk down their money for the newest and best, that they sell their D700 at the first reasonable offer.
05-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I too am waiting to see what Pentax/Ricoh's next offerings will be. I've been using a D700 and gradually buying moderately priced full frame Nikon glass. If Pentax comes out with a FF camera with decent specs, I would gladly sell my D700 and return to Pentax. I don't know. Pentax has raised the prices on its lenses. Its a smart move if they plan to introduce a full frame body, because a lot of folks will pay the asking price because it won't be that much different then what Nikon and Canon charge for their full frame glass.
05-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #105
Veteran Member

f8 and be there or pre-focus. Sure, some equipment is better than others, but a lot of it comes down to decisions we make in the photographic moment.