Conclusion - Pros
◾Class-leading image resolution at 36.3 MP
◾Outstanding high ISO performance in both JPEG and Raw files
◾High quality JPEG images at default settings
◾Wide dynamic range Raw files
◾Consistently pleasing metering and white balance results
◾Very solid build quality and good ergonomics / handling
◾Fast, responsive camera when adjusting settings
◾Greatly improved live view operation (compared to the D700)
◾Dual SD/CF card slots
◾Comprehensive camera customization options
◾DX, 1.2x and 5:4 crop modes
◾100% viewfinder coverage
◾Built-in flash can wirelessly trigger Nikon Speedlight units
◾Auto ISO selection can be linked to lens focal length
◾Well-designed, easily accessible menu system
◾In-camera raw processing
◾Good video specification and output
◾Ability to output uncompressed HD video to an external recorder
◾Button-driven fine control of aperture in video mode
◾Dual axis virtual horizon
◾USB 3.0 port

Conclusion - Cons
◾Relatively slow 4 fps continuous shooting in FX mode (6 fps with optional battery grip in DX mode)
◾Slow AF in live view and video modes (compared to phase-detection)
◾Rear LCD prone to glare in bright sunlight, despite new design
◾Fine detail in live view magnifications can be prone to artifacts
◾When shooting in live view, screen is blacked out until data is written to the card
◾New 'simplified' AF mode switch requires more steps to switch between AF-S, AF-C and AF area modes (compared to the D700)
◾No equivalent to Canon's 'small RAW' option
◾ISO button in slightly awkward location for use in the shooting position
Nikon D800 Review: Digital Photography Review

K-01 @100 iso jpeg vs D800 @ 100 iso jpeg :

Last edited by jogiba; 05-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.
05-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting comparison... thx for sharing.
05-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You'd would have thought from the DXO score and the buzz about this camera, it would have scored higher, not just one point higher than the NEX-7.

Jason
05-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like DPReview because they show me what all the buttons do and what the menus look like. I don't think they're very good at actually testing things, I disregard their inconsistently focused sample shots and basically ignore their conclusions.

I think the D800 is probably a very very good camera.

05-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
inconsistently focused sample shots
I agree, this D800 sample shows the fantastic detail.

click here to view Original (7360 x 4912) image
05-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hmmmm, people feel the need to defend the D800, interesting.... I guess the bottom-line is... it's quite possible there might be conditions where the camera isn't a great performer, and if those conditions apply to a lot of your photography then you possibly might not like the camera. Unless you're one of those "this is the greatest camera ever produced in the world and it's better at everything than every other camera" types, (and not even Nikon makes those types of claims), it's unlikely it's going to come out on top of everyone's review. Get used to it. It's just another camera.
05-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was opining about DPReview more than defending the D800, really... But in terms of reviewers I find Michael Reichmann pretty reliable much of the time and he loves it.

(Interesting that one of the things he's impressed about is the big DR allowing the shadows to be boosted a couple of stops at ISO 80 with no noise - we already have that with the K-5. It seems the sensor is essentially K-5 quality, but full frame hence much better in low light.)

05-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I bet if they had worked a little harder they could match the 83% the K5 got. Maybe they will do better on the next model?

Regards!
05-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmmm, people feel the need to defend the D800, interesting.... I guess the bottom-line is... it's quite possible there might be conditions where the camera isn't a great performer, and if those conditions apply to a lot of your photography then you possibly might not like the camera. Unless you're one of those "this is the greatest camera ever produced in the world and it's better at everything than every other camera" types, (and not even Nikon makes those types of claims), it's unlikely it's going to come out on top of everyone's review. Get used to it. It's just another camera.
I think if you have the use/need for the 36mp then it's a great camera. If it's just so you can pixel peep on the web meh who really cares a d700 exceded web requirements so did my ist ds

My cousin recently got the D800 and i completely see why. As part of his art (he's an abstract painter) he also shoots macros of worlds within the paintings then prints at 6 feet or so. previously he would just rent a D3X when he did this part of his work being unable to justify the price of the camera. Pre-digital he did the same on film. at his most recent show he had mostly D3x shots but 2 were from the D800 he had just gotten in time for the last part of the show. He didn't tell me which prints were which until after i told him. I was right on both counts it was quite apparent the difference at this size in a gallery setting where you could view from close. standing back 5 or 6 feet though it was not as easy. I also doubt anyone besides me noticed and i was looking for it both looked great.
05-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I think this review makes it clear that there is no one tool that is perfect for all photographers. If you need high fps and full frame, the D4 is probably a better option. Still, for most things, this feels like and enlarged K5 (and that's a good thing IMO).

Biggest issues really seem to be the QC issues with lock ups, etc that have been experienced by early adopters.
05-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I think this review makes it clear that there is no one tool that is perfect for all photographers. If you need high fps and full frame, the D4 is probably a better option. Still, for most things, this feels like and enlarged K5 (and that's a good thing IMO).

Biggest issues really seem to be the QC issues with lock ups, etc that have been experienced by early adopters.
It seems to be the norm now for early adopters to be Beta testers
05-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Fun to see the 645D in the noise comparison!
05-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Those comparisons on DPR have some parts of the picture out of focus. I notice comparing some that one camera had the foreground sharper than the background and the other way around for the other camera. You need to compare parts of the picture from one camera to the next that are both in focus before you think one is sharper than the next.
05-09-2012, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Fun to see the 645D in the noise comparison!
Pentax needs a $3,000 36mp FF DSLR with K-mount to compete with the D800 and not a $10,000 645D with $5,000 wide angle lens IMHO.
05-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Pentax needs a $3,000 36mp FF DSLR with K-mount to compete with the D800 and not a $10,000 645D with $5,000 wide angle lens IMHO.
the 35 mm w/a is 2199 for the 645D on a 645 FF sensor 35mm is the equivalent of a 21mm lens on 35mm ff with a 3:4 aspect rather than 2:3

They need a FF 645 to make the 645 distinct from the D800 (which is much more a generalist product than a Medium format)
For FF I think they can do well without the 36mp, a 24mp ff at a grand less will do just fine, a higher end model to follow later