Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Assuming same size sensor, does 24mp or 10mp result in better photography?
Strongly Agree 619.35%
Generally Agree 825.81%
Neutral 825.81%
Generally Disagree 516.13%
Strongly Disagree 412.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
24Mp RAW files will be pretty big, so you're going to need larger cards and hard drives and a better computer. If you've got the space and the power (in camera and in your computer) then go for it, there's no limit to what's best.

That said I've never had an issue with my K-x resolution. I've been more than happy with 12Mp, and never enlarged the K-5 or K-x shots to the point where I'd benefit from higher resolution either.

But as trivial as Megapixels may seem, there's no point resting on laurels if there is some benefit to be found.

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
If you fall into pixelpeeping, everything is lost.
This.

05-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

It makes absolutely no difference to the standard of one's photography. How on earth can anyone think a higher MP count would make you a better photographer?

it will make a different to the technical spec of an image though
05-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
It makes absolutely no difference to the standard of one's photography. How on earth can anyone think a higher MP count would make you a better photographer?

it will make a different to the technical spec of an image though
More megapixels doesn't make you a better photographer, but more megapixels results in a better photo. How?

Better aesthetically in terms of composition, exposure, etc? No.
Better in terms of being able to do more with the photo such as cropping etc? Yes definitely.

The ability to crop is an important part of post processing, especially if you wish to fill the frame and do not posses a longer lens. So, the same photo taken with the same settings, composition etc, the 16mp photo will be better than an 12mp photo, because you can do more with it after the photo has been taken. Being able to do more could ultimately result in a better final image.
05-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I chose neutral because I really don't know. My K5 certainly improves on the K10D but there are improvements in almost every area that are probably not directly related to megapixels. We've all seen the mediocre results that some high megapixel P&S cameras produce. That said, sensor quality and megapixels are going to continue to improve for a while yet. One interesting comment I saw on a Nikon D800 review was that unless you are using a good tripod and Nikon's finest glass, a user won't notice any real world difference over the D700. They also noted that the larger file size has slowed the camera down in regards to burst rate. I would certainly not just go out and buy a new camera because of more megapixels but it's almost a given that when I buy my next camera it's probably going to have a lot more than what I have now.

05-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
One interesting comment I saw on a Nikon D800 review was that unless you are using a good tripod and Nikon's finest glass, a user won't notice any real world difference over the D700. They also noted that the larger file size has slowed the camera down in regards to burst rate.
I'm sorry, but that rumor needs to be put to rest. Guess what? I own a D800 and I don't own a tripod! I also only have the 50mm 1.4G and 20mm 2.8D. I've gotten fantastic results handheld with both.