Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Leica M Monochrom

http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m_monochrom/
QuoteQuote:
[...] With a full native resolution of 18 megapixels, the Leica M Monochrom delivers 100% sharper images than with colour sensors. As its sensor does not ‘see' colours, every pixel records true luminance values - as a result, it delivers a ‘true' black-and-white image. The combination of the brilliant imaging qualities of Leica M-Lenses and the image sensor results in images with outstanding sharpness and natural brilliance. [...]
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/leica-m-monochrom/

Last edited by froeschle; 05-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.
05-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Banned

I love to take black and white images. Still don't have the money for a Leica. I wonder how big the difference would be if Pentax would bring a K-01 Monochrome (in yellow, yes you are reading that!).
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some comparative tests will be interesting. Doubtless, this camera will have its detractors because of the badge and the price, but that's nothing new for Leica. Nonetheless, I think it will sell well comparatively, as there's been a resurgence of interest in digital monochrome. It will be interesting to see who follows with other monochrome cameras.
05-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dunno guys. The sample photos don't look any better than my *ist. (Really, not even as good.)

Sample Black & White Photos Shot Using the New Leica M Monochrom

TBS, I would probably drop the $$ for 1 if it ran on 2 AA batts. I like small cams and I like Leica. But smallness is what I would be buying mostly. I'd much rather buy a mini Pentax like the Leica for $1000 if it ran on 2 AA batts.

...and if you do make a monochrome cam Pentax, put IR with a flip of the switch opiton in it.

05-10-2012, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Huh, I'd get a bw digital if it cost like.. 200 dollars. Considering its a Leica it probably won't. And if it doesn't see colours, you can't apply selective desaturation in post (or changing luminance of specific colors, which is very helpful in bw), so you have to use filters when taking shots..

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-10-2012 at 02:39 PM.
05-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
JFN
Veteran Member

8k USD for a rangefinder "black and white" digital camera???

Nuts!
05-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm a bit angry at leica. I expected M10 to be announced. Got crappy monochrome instead with so-so image quality (really, I won't bother buying real, glass color filters in order to do something I can easily reproduce in PP), with that crappy 230k LCD. OK. Hope sony will introduce their FF mirrorless in order to beat crap out of leica. I'm afraid though the Leica will be bunkrupt after this.

05-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Interesting if I had unlimited funds but I'ld rather just pack a film body - smaller and lighter.
A high ISO Leica is awesome though!
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really doubt this will bankrupt Leica - take an M body, change the electronics (not sure about the sensor) and re-badge. I'm not attempting to denigrate what they've done, but it's not like they've had to invest in an entirely new line of cameras.

On the other hand, the simultaneous release of an updated X1 (the X2, not surprisingly) as a response to the APS-C competitors, is a sensible move, and, more importantly for Pentax, they've released an optional electronic viewfinder that may be adaptable to the M cameras as well.
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Huh, I'd get a bw digital if it cost like.. 200 dollars. Considering its a Leica it probably won't. And if it doesn't see colours, you can't apply selective desaturation in post (or changing luminance of specific colors, which is very helpful in bw), so you have to use filters when taking shots..
Goodpoint- that defeats the purpose really! And takes away any Sepia-like shots as well. Ok its a fail!
05-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Banned

if Pentax hade done this DPR would have railed them for releasing something useless. good for leica. its worthless, and only a small number (even by leica standards) will actually sell, but good for them. you'd be better off just taking an M7 and some kodak, or an M9 and just converting the photos to B&W yourself. a few clicks in Nik SilverEfex Pro and you'll have better results than this likely produces, baring an sharpness advantages gained by virtue of the sensor. nice idea though. I wish the big japanese companies, pentax included would start thinking like this instead of continuing down the same boring path, trying to outdo the other in specs.
05-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be getting this camera, I have waited so long for a full frame camera with a monochrome sensor for some time now. I have worked with the Phase one Achromatic+ MFDB and the quality from the files is simply outstanding when compared to the colour output from the phase one P39+ MFDB. The CFA on bayer sensors just gets in the way with B&W - sure you can separate the channels in post processing to emulate the use of colour filters, but you can use physical colour filters on the Leica to accomplish exactly the same effect.

People who use the Piezography printing process are going to be over the moon over this camera, combined with a fibre based Baryta printing paper and pezio inks I think it would provide Monochrome prints of superior quality to anything else currently available.

They seem to have upped the sensitivity on the M-Monochrom to ISO 10000 - that should open some interesting photographic possibilities under "available darkness" with my Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95. Let us all hope Leica has done their homework with the metering system. And I cannot say if i'm a fan of the new leatherette covering, personally I'm more comfortable with the Vulcanite covering that the rest of my Leica M cameras have.

The addition of the Leica APO-Summicron-M 50 mm f/2 is certainly interesting: the worlds first f/2 apochromatic 50mm lens for a 35mm camera*, I will be adding this to my 50mm lens collection. Knowing leica the new 50mm f/2 will be a diffraction limited lens.

*In 1986 Leica stated that it is extremely difficult to design a perfectly apochromatic lens with a focal length shorter than 100mm and with an aperture faster than f/6.3. In 2002 Leica produced the Leica-R 90mm APO-Summicron f/2 ASPH.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-10-2012 at 06:06 PM.
05-10-2012, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

butt ugly.
05-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The addition of the Leica APO-Summicron-M 50 mm f/2 is certainly interesting: the worlds first apochromatic 50mm lens for a 35mm camera, I will be adding this to my 50mm lens collection. Knowing leica the new 50mm f/2 will be a diffraction limited lens.
Digitalis, what do you think of the new price for this lens though. When I read the announcement I was sure the price was a typo, but no, $7,200 is correct, it's an astonishing price for a f/2 50mm lens The old one was what, only $3k?
05-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the X2 had been a full frame , it would have been awesome. Not much in it that seems revolutionary now, and Im glad I bought the x100 instead of the Leica X1, or waited till the X2.

Pentax gets canned for the Q and K-01, but at least Leica can produce something just as daft. A B&W sensor, might be innovative, and Im sure it has its place, but they could have updated the LCD at least. I would have expected a larger dynamic range from a dedicated sensor, so will see how more pics pane out. Though, at $8000 for b&W only, I will keep saving for an M9 instead and post process.