Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leica X2 and Leica V-Lux 40

Just found that on another website:

"The X1 broke new ground as the first compact camera with superb image quality. The new X2 bests its predecessor by employing a newly developed 16.5 MP, APS-C, CMOS sensor and dramatically improving auto focus speed and LCD clarity. Leica has also provided the connections for an optional electronic viewfinder that will markedly enhance the handling of the camera. The legendary Leica Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit-ASPH (equivalent to 35mm in the 135 format) is sensibly carried over from the X1. This made-in-Germany compact will be available in both black and silver, and shipped with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® beginning in May."

Perhaps another, but likely still very expensive, "alternative" to those seeking a different camera?

Also, a V-Lux 40 ...

Here are some more details:
Leica boosts compact portfolio with V-Lux 40 point-and-shoot, APS-C-equipped X2 -- Engadget

JP

05-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah ........ With digital you probably won't be using the same camera for 40 years .......... it's more like 4 years max. So the price is definitely a consideration, but hey it's a Leica
05-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I went down the route that Engadget suggested, I just bought a Panasonic ZS20 and paid less than half the price of the V Lux 40 :-)

The ZS20 still has the "Leica" name on the front - referring to the lens of course :-) Of course, I doubt that this lens is manufactured to the same standards as Leica's new APO Summicron-M 50mm ASPH - evidently made by Oompah-Loompahs under the light of a silvery moon and quality controlled by vestal virgins.

What I did find surprising in a recent trip to Hong Kong was how popular Leica compacts were - they are sold just about everywhere. Apparently there is demand for Panasonic cameras rebadged with a red dot and a premium price :-)
05-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GreenMachine Quote
Yeah ........ With digital you probably won't be using the same camera for 40 years .......... it's more like 4 years max. So the price is definitely a consideration, but hey it's a Leica
Just like computers I would imagine: a 1 year-old "top of the line" computer is already surpassed with newer technology, seems like every six months or so.

JP

05-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Well, I went down the route that Engadget suggested, I just bought a Panasonic ZS20 and paid less than half the price of the V Lux 40 :-)

The ZS20 still has the "Leica" name on the front - referring to the lens of course :-) Of course, I doubt that this lens is manufactured to the same standards as Leica's new APO Summicron-M 50mm ASPH - evidently made by Oompah-Loompahs under the light of a silvery moon and quality controlled by vestal virgins.

What I did find surprising in a recent trip to Hong Kong was how popular Leica compacts were - they are sold just about everywhere. Apparently there is demand for Panasonic cameras rebadged with a red dot and a premium price :-)
Of course Leica's are pricy; the price for that new X2 will be around $2000. And it's a fixed lens.
Leica unveils X2 16MP premium large-sensor compact: Digital Photography Review
I wonder how that will compare with the Fuji X100 or the X-Pro 1 for that matter ?

And you have a good point about getting the Panny vs. the V-Lux ...for price consideration. Are they really almost the same cameras, IQ wise? Just curious.

JP
05-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GreenMachine Quote
4 years max? Lots of people still shooting with for instance Canon 1DsII and 1Ds bodies.

Get a really nice, expensive body that is 2-3 years old, you can shoot with it for a year or two and then sell it for basically what you paid. You get to shoot pro gear and the total cost of ownership is less than that of using entry level bodies.
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

the X2 I wet (sort of, though i think it's a $900 compact masquerading as a $2000 camera) I'd rather have the xpro than it - they really needed at least an optical fider on the X2 or an rf mechanism to make it close to that price

the rebadged Panasonic never made any sense to me, i don't care what software they package with it the red dot isn't worth that much.

05-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the X2 I wet (sort of, though i think it's a $900 compact masquerading as a $2000 camera) I'd rather have the xpro than it - they really needed at least an optical fider on the X2 or an rf mechanism to make it close to that price

the rebadged Panasonic never made any sense to me, i don't care what software they package with it the red dot isn't worth that much.
So, to make a long story short, you are telling me: don't buy either of them!

JP
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, to make a long story short, you are telling me: don't buy either of them!

JP
the x2 has it's appeal i guess (wonder what 16mp sensor it is. If it's the sony it could be an interesting camera. but i still think it's more 1299 or less - after all there is the x100 as well and it has a VF . not a chance i'd buy any of the vlux models.
05-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Leica has money to roll out expensive camera models for their serious enthusiasts on the back of the sales of their overpriced compacts. Anyone who seriously thinks the lenses on the Leica compacts are anything close to the quality of their premium lenses or made in Germany is either ignorant or a fool who deserves to be fleeced of their money they pay for the Leica brand. The licensing fee to have the Leica name on each el-cheapo camera is what's ensuring Leica is still around today.