Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Sony may be beyond repair...

Maximum PC | Sony Posts $5.7 Billion Loss, Stock Slips to Lowest Point in 30 Years

If it continues like this for another thirteen or so months; then Sony will be no longer. At this rate; Sony may very well be divided up soon.

How would this effect Sony?

1. Computer division sold perhaps to Samsung.

2. Gaming sold to perhaps EA; btw this is the second largest potential for Sony.

3. Television and other general electronics sold to Samsung as well.

4. Professional video sold to JVC; non professional video phased out

5. Other cameras in general; from P&S to ones such as A900, and even lens' sold to Sigma. Minolta people will remain quite confused.

6. Sony chips; who knows??

I'll place my chips on the table on this one; Sony cannot outlast this one - the name will be gone soon. Any takers on that bet?

05-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Maximum PC | Sony Posts $5.7 Billion Loss, Stock Slips to Lowest Point in 30 Years

If it continues like this for another thirteen or so months; then Sony will be no longer. At this rate; Sony may very well be divided up soon.

How would this effect Sony?

1. Computer division sold perhaps to Samsung.

2. Gaming sold to perhaps EA; btw this is the second largest potential for Sony.

3. Television and other general electronics sold to Samsung as well.

4. Professional video sold to JVC; non professional video phased out

5. Other cameras in general; from P&S to ones such as A900, and even lens' sold to Sigma. Minolta people will remain quite confused.

6. Sony chips; who knows??

Sony Semiconductor division ---> Ricoh

05-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Sony Semiconductor division ---> Ricoh

yes please.
05-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A few random uncoupled thoughts:

* LET THE DISMEMBERMENT BEGIN!!
* To avoid breakup, Sony needs a strong dictator, a Putin.
* Big Sony could rather easily be devoured by much larger Samsung.
* Do the same bankers own Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Ricoh? Would a breakup matter?
* Isn't Sony already a set of near-independent fiefdoms with a common name?
* Is Sony TOO BIG TO FAIL? Is a bailout mandatory?
* Let's sell popcorn to the spectators.

05-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A few random uncoupled thoughts:

* LET THE DISMEMBERMENT BEGIN!!
* To avoid breakup, Sony needs a strong dictator, a Putin.
* Big Sony could rather easily be devoured by much larger Samsung.
* Do the same bankers own Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Ricoh? Would a breakup matter?
* Isn't Sony already a set of near-independent fiefdoms with a common name?
* Is Sony TOO BIG TO FAIL? Is a bailout mandatory?
* Let's sell popcorn to the spectators.
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok then, so Sony posted some big losses. But what kind of money do they have on their account? I don't know. What if it is three digit figure of USD bln? Then who cares for measly 5.7 USD bln loss... I don' think that Sony skies are falling down that fast.
05-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
... I don' think that Sony skies are falling down that fast.
Maybe not. But every Sony thing that I have owned eventually broke. (Save my lcd flat screen, knock on wood.) The worst were walkmans and discmans. Maybe get a couple of months out of them, then kaput. Not a huge Sony fan if you can't tell. Wouldn't mind if they stuck with TV's and pro-video and sold off the rest.

05-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So long as the new owner keeps making NEX bodies.
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ahhh....you guys haven't yet mentioned the big elephant in this thread.

No Sony - no advanced sensors that have enabled Nikon and Pentax an edge over Canon.

OK, Sony could keep the sensor division, or sell it off. If they sell it off, will the new owner be as flexible working with Pentax, Nikon, as Sony was. Just saying -- there could be a big impact on other camera makers, other than Canon.

Wasn't there a rumour that there was going to be a D600 FF with an Aptiva (?sp) sensor(a non-Sony one)

I doubt that Sony is going away. Look at the big corruption mess that Olympus got into ...they look like they are weathering that. Seems like when any Japanese company gets into trouble, other Japanese companies help to bail them out - conjecture on my part.
05-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Meanwhile, every Pentaxian's pipe dream would be: Ricoh/Pentax buys sensor divisions of Kodak and Sony, introduces 645DII and full-frame K-3 with otherworldly performance, opens up gates of paradise to Pentaxians.
05-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Maybe not. But every Sony thing that I have owned eventually broke. (Save my lcd flat screen, knock on wood.)
My oldest extant laptops are a couple of ancient Sony VAIO mini-notebooks, dating to 2001-2003. I'm on one of them right now, and the older is still a faithful backup. Neither is perfect, each has needed minor work, but they keep running. I still use Sony digicams from the same period, portable audio devices (cassette and minidisc recorders) from the 1990s, component audio gear and shortwave receivers from the 1980s, mics from the 1970s. I'm no SonyPhobe, eh?
05-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Banned

Apple could buy Sony with a small fraction of the cash pile they have.
Apple Q2 Earnings: Apple Now Has Over $110 Billion In Cash Reserves | TechCrunch
05-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Apple could buy Sony with a small fraction of the cash pile they have.
Apple Q2 Earnings: Apple Now Has Over $110 Billion In Cash Reserves | TechCrunch
Apple has that kind of cash on hand becuase they've made a habit of not wasting money...lol!
but woe to Pentax if Apple decided buying sony just to enter the pro/semi pro interchangeable lens camera market...
05-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I fell off the Sony bandwagon when I bought my first Samsung LCD HDTV.
I fell off the Sony bandwagon for good when my first generation PS3 died, and I found out the file system on the hard drive - which was still good - was both a proprietary file system and keyed to the specific PS3 it was installed in. That's right folks. The PS3 hard drive can only be used in the PS3 that formated it. So all those pictures and videos and songs Sony told me to put on the PS3 were useless because the PS3 itself died.

Yep. Sony with their proprietary ways has zero sympathy from me.
05-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
...Yep. Sony with their proprietary ways has zero sympathy from me.
I had a lot of proprietary issues with the Sony desktop that I bought in the late 90's. I think it was running Win95 iirc. It was layered up (boogered) with a bunch of Sony related SW. It eventually died after a couple years of use. Corrupted the HD as well.

I think Sony's strengths have always been TV's and pro video equipment. Sensors, too for that matter. Quick to market for many other things, but not great products imho.

Funny that you mention a Samsung TV. I bought one a few years back. Hot green pixel a tad to the right of center. Took is back to get a Sony. Probably bad luck for me on the Samsung. Probably the same on the other Sony stuff I had. Except the PC. That was a total POS from the get go. And, hell, I played the walkmans and discmans for hours on end. I guess that two months of play like that was too much?