Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After Nikon D600 rumor, Canon entry level FF camera rumor ...

After the information about an upcoming mirror-less system by Canon, now another one of my sources notified me that Canon will announce an entry level full-frame camera at Photokina in September. Here the specifications I got:

Price tag below $2,000
21MP sensor
Weather sealed body, but not at the same level as the EOS 5D Mark III
Simpler auto-focus system than the EOS 5D Mark III (could be the AF of the EOS 7D, which, btw, is a very powerful AF system)

I think the rumor is plausible. Nikon is said to introduce an entry-level FF (probably named D600) in the next months, and it is perfectly normal that Canon will try to counter it with an own entry-level FF camera. Let’s see. Looks like we will have a lot to discuss and speculate about in the next months. ;-)

Source: Rumor: Canon entry-level full-frame camera for Photokina? | CanonWatch
---------------------

So.... how long can Pentax keep FF at bay or keep it a secret if they have FF plan?
It seem cheap FF sensor is now a possible?

Lee

05-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
So.... how long can Pentax keep FF at bay or keep it a secret if they have FF plan?
Pentax has a FF plan?
05-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I must admit, I have been eyeballing used 5D bodies. BrownBag
05-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the rumor is plausible. Nikon is said to introduce an entry-level FF (probably named D600) in the next months, and it is perfectly normal that Canon will try to counter it with an own entry-level FF camera. Let’s see. Looks like we will have a lot to discuss and speculate about in the next months. ;-)
I wonder how they're going to name it. The D### and ####D pattern is so clogged, they're starting to look like Nokia's phone model lineup. I'm thankful Pentax went the K-letter and K-number format.

05-15-2012, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anway, the introduction of cheap FF cameras (when real) is great news for us Pentaxians. Because Pentax cannot simply neglect that market anymore. Just give us a "cheap" FF camera with the old diaphragm coupling and Pentax will sell shitloads of them.

Somehow I think that Ricoh has shelved some of the APS-C models which were bound to be unveiled on the CP+ show last february, because both the K-5 and the K-r successors are long overdue. Something interesting is going to happen, not necessary on the APS-C field.
05-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Anway, the introduction of cheap FF cameras (when real) is great news for us Pentaxians. Because Pentax cannot simply neglect that market anymore. Just give us a "cheap" FF camera with the old diaphragm coupling and Pentax will sell shitloads of them.

Somehow I think that Ricoh has shelved some of the APS-C models which were bound to be unveiled on the CP+ show last february, because both the K-5 and the K-r successors are long overdue. Something interesting is going to happen, not necessary on the APS-C field.
I agree on both parts.

I only hope that the interesting things about to happen is not disappointing like a mirrorless K-0x-only future.
05-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, let's hope for 3 new bodies: FF, K-5n for the mid tier, and an aggressively priced beginner camera below the K-r.

05-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Asahiflex: You are wrong. Pentax made it through a highly disrupting process of downsizing, being prepared for sale and being actually sold - and they were affected by the natural disasters, as well. Then, new plans had to be made - over existing ones. No wonder new cameras were delayed.
05-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Asahiflex: You are wrong. Pentax made it through a highly disrupting process of downsizing, being prepared for sale and being actually sold - and they were affected by the natural disasters, as well. Then, new plans had to be made - over existing ones. No wonder new cameras were delayed.
I am wrong on what? Actually you're stating the same as I did, only with different words. Shelved or delayed means the same in my book, though I did not mention the reasons behind that.

Anyway I stand by my words: something interesting is going to happen
05-15-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums

A colleague of mine with many cameras also has the Canon 5D. It has some major issues to say the least. Mirror issues, shutter issues, general reliability issues. One of the worst parts though is the claims of the weather sealing on the camera. Even Pentax and many others have Canon almost leveraged on that one
05-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Asahiflex:
If they continued to work on them but because of circumstances they had to postpone the delivery date, I wouldn't say they shelved anything. I'm talking about this kind of "delayed", not the one on which product development is stopped to be later restarted.
Of course, altering the requirement (i.e. being more ambitious) can also be a factor.

My bad, I guess saying that "you're wrong" is too harsh, over such details. However, my point is: I fully expect Ricoh will build over what Pentax have/is; only faster, better performing, more. And of course, it can be very interesting, seeing Pentax finally gaining their speed.
05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here the specifications I got:

Price tag below $2,000
21MP sensor
Simpler auto-focus system than the EOS 5D Mark III (could be the AF of the EOS 7D, which, btw, is a very powerful AF system)

I think the rumor is plausible. Lee
Plausible. Yes, it's the Canon 5D MII as soon as the Mark III hits $2999.
05-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Just give us a "cheap" FF camera with the old diaphragm coupling and Pentax will sell shitloads of them.
I doubt that. By time Pentax enters the FF market, most everyone who wants a FF will have gotten a Nikon or Canon already. The few Pentax Forum holdouts will only add up to a shitload in a small bucket. Pentax's FF offer would have to be absolutely jaw-dropping and revolutionary to make someone switch over.
05-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I doubt that. By time Pentax enters the FF market, most everyone who wants a FF will have gotten a Nikon or Canon already. The few Pentax Forum holdouts will only add up to a shitload in a small bucket. Pentax's FF offer would have to be absolutely jaw-dropping and revolutionary to make someone switch over.
Well, even if I had a Canon 5d or Nikon D700, I still have a boat load of Pentax glass, k28/2, A 50/1.2, FA 50/1.4, FA 77/1.8, D FA 100WR, M 50/1.4, Tamron SP 180/2.5 (which I can use on anything) and a whole lot of Taks. I don't have much Canon glass and next to no Nikon glass these days. Many of the guys that do have a Nikon or Canon ff still have a lot of Pentax glass.
05-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Most people having Canon or Nikon have only one lens that they have never removed from the body. Those who absolutely must have FF have already purchased them. I guess that at least 50% (or more) of DSLR are used more or less as an advanced point-and-shot so there should be no problem for people to switch to another brand. The problem is however to make them think that they need FF camera and convince them that Pentax (future model) is the right one.