QuoteQuote:
Conclusion - Pros
◾Good resolution and detail in raw files
◾Good color and tonality across the ISO range
◾Reliable metering even in difficult contrast situations
◾Very responsive and snappy operation, thanks to new Digic 5+ processor
◾6 frames per second continuous shooting with good buffering
◾Excellent build-quality with magnesium shell and weather-sealing
◾Intuitive user interface and good ergonomics with large number of external controls
◾Very comprehensive user interface customization options
◾Excellent viewfinder with 100% coverage
◾Good high resolution LCD monitor
◾Reliable and quick AF system with comprehensive customization options
◾Efficient vignetting, distortion and CA correction
◾Full manual control in video mode
◾Choice between IPB and ALL-I video compression modes
◾Headphone socket
◾Rear-dial becomes touch-sensitive when recording video
◾In-camera HDR mode with many options
◾Multi-exposure mode
◾Comprehensive Auto ISO customization options
◾Efficient silent-shutter option, single shot or continuous drive mode
◾Dual SD and CF card slots
◾Side-by-side playback mode and rating allow for initial image selection on the go
◾Good battery life
◾Good bundled raw converter with comprehensive feature set (Digital Photo Pro)

Conclusion - Cons
◾Destructive noise reduction results in mushy JPEGs, even at base ISO
◾Visible sharpening artifacts at default settings
◾Heavy-handed noise reduction leads to lack of low-contrast detail at higher ISOs
◾Distortion correction not available 'on the fly'
◾Built-in microphone only monaural
◾Soft video output with less dynamic range
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Review: Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
Although the specification on the box says 1080p, with regards resolution the 5D Mark III is a huge let down and the $600 Panasonic GH2 offers a far more detailed 'true 1080p' image (whilst maintaining a relatively large sensor for video and interchangeable lens mount). The 1080p mode is not really full HD at all in terms of the real amount of detail in the image - more like 720p.

The 5D Mark III is vulnerable since it is not a huge step from the 5D Mark II in terms of the overall image in video mode. Other cameras such as the $5000 Sony FS100, $800 Panasonic GH2 and $3000 Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera offer significantly more in the ways of features and image quality for low budget video production.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/25

Last edited by jogiba; 05-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.
05-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can tell he knows who his advertisers are. He gives it the same score as the D800.
05-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
◾Destructive noise reduction results in mushy JPEGs, even at base ISO
◾Visible sharpening artifacts at default settings
◾Heavy-handed noise reduction leads to lack of low-contrast detail at higher ISOs
Ouch.
05-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've played with it and it is a hell of a camera. I easily prefer it to the D800.

05-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you're bored, the Comments are good for a giggle...
05-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's great...just 1% point below my K5......I bet they will make it next time!

Regards!
05-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've played around with it. It is a very nice camera. With the 50mm f1.2 lens it takes gorgeous photos.

It's kinda funny - I spent the majority of last year waiting for it and I promised I will buy one the day it is released.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the Coliseum ... in the meantime I bought a NEX-5N thinking it will be a nice toy camera, and I ended up loving it so much it became my main camera.
05-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ouch.
Major concern for all those who buy a 5D III to shoot in jpeg.

Looks like a nice enough product overall. The main grip with the 5D and 5DII was the so-so autofocus, and they appear to have addressed it. Question is how it'll fare against the D800; seems like Nikon remains in the lead tech wise for now.

05-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Major concern for all those who buy a 5D III to shoot in jpeg.

Looks like a nice enough product overall. The main grip with the 5D and 5DII was the so-so autofocus, and they appear to have addressed it. Question is how it'll fare against the D800; seems like Nikon remains in the lead tech wise for now.
Or Sony is. The big thing that Nikon has going for it is the fact that they use Sony sensors (I suppose with their own tweaks). Canon sensors are good, it just doesn't feel like they have made as many advances in the last couple of years as Sony.

Otherwise, the 5D Mk III does seem like an awfully nice camera and there are plenty of photographers getting good results from it, so I suppose the sensor isn't too bad.
05-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Otherwise, the 5D Mk III does seem like an awfully nice camera and there are plenty of photographers getting good results from it, so I suppose the sensor isn't too bad.
Speaking as a Sony fangirl, the sensor on the 5d3 is amazingly amazingly good. I took some pictures at ISO6400, and they looked like base ISO on the K-5. Add to that 6fps, the new AF system, and it's very usable for action photography.

Mind you, ISO6400 on the D800E is also very good, but I think the 5D3 has the edge in high ISO quality.
05-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At this level, it is a matter of system rather than "mine is bigger than yours". So both are good pro cameras, can't imagine more than few pros with heavy investment in lenses switching to either Canon or Nikon because they feel "the other" camera is greater.

What i know for sure is that 0 (zero) digital FF users from Canikon will switch to digital FF Pentax
05-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DPReview's review supports DXOMark's previous evaluation of the camera. Modest, but no doubt useful, improvements from the 5D2 to the 5D3, but nothing massive on the IQ front.

Name:  dxo-5d3-vs-5d2.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  65.1 KB
05-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have personally scrutinized a lot of pics taken with the 5DMK111 - and imho they fail to impress largely due to lack of dynamic range and rendering of fine detail - in fact at ISO 100-800 my D7000 renders better detail IMHO and has far greater dynamic range.

Now when I look at what the D800 can do in this dept (after looking at numerous mountain landscapes) I feel it is superior. The Nikon images to my eyes just look so much sharper.
05-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Speaking as a Sony fangirl, the sensor on the 5d3 is amazingly amazingly good. I took some pictures at ISO6400, and they looked like base ISO on the K-5. Add to that 6fps, the new AF system, and it's very usable for action photography.

Mind you, ISO6400 on the D800E is also very good, but I think the 5D3 has the edge in high ISO quality.
I am sorry, but i don't really believe this. There should be roughly one stop difference between the K5 and the 5D Mk III with regard to noise. If there is that little noise at iso 6400, it is because there is some kind of "magic" algorithim cleaning up the noise.

The D800 and K5 both have significantly higher dynamic range at low iso as well (they are all about equal at iso 800 on).

The biggest thing that I have seen with D800 versus 5D files is that the D800 tolerates pushing in post a lot better than the 5D Mk III, where it seems to produce banding.
05-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Speaking as a Sony fangirl, the sensor on the 5d3 is amazingly amazingly good. I took some pictures at ISO6400, and they looked like base ISO on the K-5.
I too have to call BS on this. This is most possibly the most misinformative post I've read for along time.
Sure if you shoot in JPEG on the 5d3 it will look pretty clean, but to say it looks as clean as 80/100 ISO on the k5 is absolute rubbish. Not to mention it would look extremely smudged.