Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Twin lens reflex

Hey guys, I've been fascinated with the TLR camera since I got into photography, I saw this one TLR on the shop where I got my first pentax and I'm thinking in the back of my head that I want one. But here's the thing, I want a 35mm one and not the 120 or other formats because they're not going to be practical for me. no way for me to develop and is going to be expensive.

So far I only know two kinds that takes 35mm the yashica 635(I think is expensive) and the ricohmatic 225. My question is this. Are there any other TLR (Not the cheap toy cams) that takes 35mm film that you guys know of?

Thanks

05-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A Meopta Flexaret can do it with the right accessory.
They go for a pretty reasonable price on ebay (serviced). ~$138.

I got mine (a Flexaret IV) from a Czec seller "Cupog" as his name turned up in a couple of searches about this camera.

I'd still encourage you to go for 120 film.
Maybe just do a one time buy of the stuff needed to develop B/W (not that hard and not expensive at all; in fact its cheaper in the long run)
The DOF for the same FOV and the detail retention on 120 is much better and the reason to use such cameras in the 1st place.
05-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There's a reason why 120 (or 127, though film in 127 is scarce) is the choice for TLR - the square image means you take everything in the same orientation. With a rectangular frame, when you want the 'other' orientation you're into awkwardness.

Like pinholecam says, bw 120 film is very easy to develop, and scans better than 35mm. Of course you need the developing equipment and scanner... However: Dwayne's will develop a roll of C-41 120 film for $3.99 and scan for $2.99 per roll. Shipping is $4.50 for the first and 0.50 for each additional roll... so by batching your development the costs are not overly large. As I have a scanner that does 120, I skip the scans.

The 120 TLRs with 35mm inserts (Rollei also made such) are expensive when they have the inserts. The inserts themselves do come up on the bay every now and then, but again tend to go high. Though thse may be fun to try.

Another uber expensive way is the Contaflex TLR - one of the finest bits of camera jewelry ever
Zeiss Contaflex Twin Lens Reflex Camera

For a more toy-ish modern approach, there is the Blackbird Fly
Blackbird, Fly Toy Camera

Ah, and how can I forget the Bolsey C / C22! A nifty old vintage camera, this, one I'd like to try some day
Bolsey C22 - Photoethnography.com's Classic Camera DB
05-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I completely forgot about this fascinating page:
Twin lenses 35mm

05-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sprocket-hole panos.

You can buy or easily make inserts that allow a 135 cart to be mounted in a 120 or 620 rollfilm camera. (I bought my first set for US$10 puls $5 shipping, found they were just little wood nubs, and made my own sets by cutting-down fine-point marker pen bodies.) They can be used in MF boxes, TLRs, RFs, folders, etc.

The resultant images aren't true panos, as you're still shooting a 135/FF frame (stretched) behind a lens in the 75-115mm range, depending on specific camera. The aspect ratios of a 35mm-wide film frame in various MF cameras range from ~2:1 (645) to ~6:1 (6x9). Those are for horizontal film-feeds folders etc. If the camera is a vertical-feed TLR, flip the ratios.

Interesting things happen when a captured image spreads across sprocket holes. The holes may just work as a framing device and can be replicated with image editors. But you also may see weird color effects, slightly different around each hole, and NOT replicable digitally. That's part of the fun of the technique: uncertainty and irreproducability.
05-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys (: much appreciated!
05-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am surprised that Jussi (Nesster) did not mention the various 127 "baby" TLRs such as my Yashica 44. With a few (reversable) modifications, many of these cameras can be adapted to 35mm film.

Steve
05-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, BTW I'm looking to buy a working not so expensive TLR, so if you guys know anyone selling one please let me know (:

05-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Thanks guys, BTW I'm looking to buy a working not so expensive TLR, so if you guys know anyone selling one please let me know (:

I may at some point be forced to part with a good one, but I'm hoping to avoid that. She's a Yashicamat 124, which is in rather-high demand.

What are you really willing to spend? (Some people's idea of inexpensive is like months of spending for me.)
04-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just picked up a nice Yashica D yesterday. With shipping from ebay it cost about $95. No one had been inside for years, all original, which meant that the lube was all gummy and the shutter sticking. Spent yesterday tearing it down, and today cleaning and reassembling.
It is now like new operationally. The front leatherette is a mess, but I want to custom color it anyways.
These are sweet cameras! I love the 120 film. I process in coffee for b/w and am getting a C41 kit for my color films.
I have too many cameras!
LOL
04-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Just picked up a nice Yashica D yesterday. With shipping from ebay it cost about $95. No one had been inside for years, all original, which meant that the lube was all gummy and the shutter sticking. Spent yesterday tearing it down, and today cleaning and reassembling.
It is now like new operationally. The front leatherette is a mess, but I want to custom color it anyways.
These are sweet cameras! I love the 120 film. I process in coffee for b/w and am getting a C41 kit for my color films.
I have too many cameras!
LOL
Congratulations and welcome to the "too many camera club". Cameraleather.com can make you a leather cover kit.

Steve
04-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think cameraleather.com makes the covers that I am considering. :-)
I am thinking a wood grain veneer with copper accents, or perhaps copper with red and black accents.
I just bought (sigh), a second Yashica Mat. I will decide whether to sell the first one, or to send it for repair, after I see how the new one works. I paid $175 for the first one and got burned horribly. Paid $68 for the second one. We'll see. :-)
04-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I am thinking a wood grain veneer with copper accents, or perhaps copper with red and black accents.
Nope, no steam punk kits. They mostly sell leather-type coverings.

Steve