Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Look what I picked up today
From kogan? They seem to have an OK deal on it atm. Tempting.

08-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #107
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
we should start a share your rx100 shots thread now that we have a few rx users.
I hope you do! We have done well with out Fuji thread, it would be good to see what you guys can provide. I might try the Rx100, but will wait until I see the X10 replacement...I think it is going to be a killer machine!
Start the thread! I love to see photos, no matter what camera is used!
Regards!
08-07-2012, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Here are a few more comparison shots, this time in a dimly lit room with the Sony and the Panasonic TS2 weatherproof P/S that was my prior "can't use the K5) camera. The Sony is not waterproof but it's very useful in a dark room, better than any point and shoot I've used to date.

All shots are zoomed to 100% and cropped with no editing. The TS2 is a 14 Megapixel small sensor vs the RX100 20.2 larger sensor.
TS2 "High Iso" Camera takes a 2mb high iso shot, results are not really usable for much.

RX100 Iso 3200, very usable.

TS2 Auto

RX100 Auto

RX100 "Twilight" mode. This takes a quick blip of shots and joins them together, it is VERY effective on still objects. This camera can take up to 10fps bursts of shots for a few seconds.

08-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #109
Veteran Member

After reading though all the posts I think if you want a point and shoot that's compact (only a little larger than the TS2 with the focus ring) and offers the best sensor performance yet this is it. It's not a NEX or interchangeable lens option, but that's not it's market either. I don't see the NEX with lenses as much more portable than my K5. This will fit in a jeans pocket (yikes) or better a compact case on a belt. I would rather stick the TS2 in a pocket and scratch it up (it's dinged up). This will get dust in it if you choose to use it in a pocket without a sleeve or something around it. My SX200 had a similar telescoping lens setup and it sucked in dust in harsh conditions, something I won't use this camera in due to the price. What it honestly gives your over older p/s:

Bokeh at close range with the 1" sensor. It actually pulls this off, esp. in macro. The 1.8 aperture is only at the wide end however.

An awesome low light sensor, real ISO 6400 performance in dim light. Great for indoors without flash and fast enough to capture moving subjects. Twilight modes just takes this to another level. This is better in low light than the K7. I can't wait until the RAW files are usable in lightroom.

It blows away my previous point and shoots. I've had a bunch with the Canon SX200 superzoom, and Panasonic DMC TS2 being the most recent. This one has a "dslr" like interface with all the options and a little menu digging as they could pull off. I honestly see cameras in the future starting to go this route. Eventually we will have D800 sensor performance in something the size of the RX100. I would say this sensor, aside from color is already outperforming the one in the K7.

Twilight mode is amazing, this thing can surpass a dslr on non-moving subjects in really low light using this stacking photo mode. I wish the K5 had this! I first saw this in person on a Fuji point and shoot and it amazed me. This version is very useful.

The colors aren't as nice as my K5 out of camera, they are more bland. I'm still working through the color modes and trying to tweak that. It has some flexibility similar to the K5 with selecting a color scheme and tweaking contrast/saturation/sharpness. It has no where near the amount of JPEG color modes that the K5 has however. Colors look a lot like the "natural" option on the K5 out of the camera by default with the RX100. I'm used to the typical "juiced" look that most point and shoots give with oversaturation by default. Sony goes for neutral in this respect.

It has BULB. This is the most insane implementation on a camera I have seen. You have to "hold" the button down for the length of time, so much for keeping it steady! The intelligent thing would have been to have it on a timer for the shutter release (2-10 sec) and have the option to program in how long you want it open. Kind of useless until someone figures out a shutter remote for it.

It has a horrific manual, it's almost useless. No explanation of icons on the display etc, they leave you to figure it all out. If your used to DSLR or advanced camera's you will figure it all out with some details leaving you to wonder.

The sweep panorama is a neat mode for landscapes.

Macro mode is excellent with great bokeh. I can see picking this and a tiny tripod for macro over the K5 as it's super convenient.

I wish it could use lens filters, maybe someone will come up with an option for this. A polarized filter would be nice.

08-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
From kogan? They seem to have an OK deal on it atm. Tempting.
$699 from JB, not a great deal but good enough and has a Sony Australia warranty.
08-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
not a great deal but good enough and has a Sony Australia warranty.
That warranty can be useful, especially for trivial but annoying things like prominent dead pixels on the sensor or rear LCD that some users have already reported, and which would be a pain to send back via some grey retailer.

DCW also has it for $699, so I guess that must be RRP for the RX-100 in AU.
08-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #112
Veteran Member

That warranty can be useful, especially for trivial but annoying things like prominent dead pixels on the sensor or rear LCD that some users have already reported, and which would be a pain to send back via some grey retailer.

DCW also has it for $699, so I guess that must be RRP for the RX-100 in AU.
Yes, especially for new models. Australian RRP is $799, I got JB to price match DCW.

08-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Custom skins for the RX100 here:

http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/html/RX100/Leather/RX100_LeatherKit.html

I've ordered the Cherry Wood kit.
08-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #114
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try Five

Interesting discussion with test images about even better IQ to be had at 5 megapix with th RX...RX100 5,000,000 amazing pixels: Sony Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
08-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #115

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Custom skins for the RX100 here:

http://www.aki-asahi.com/store/html/RX100/Leather/RX100_LeatherKit.html

I've ordered the Cherry Wood kit.

Thanks!!! Those are soo sweet. Going to order one tonight. Thinking black snake for a little leica flare.
08-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
even better IQ to be had at 5 megapix with th RX
I find that discussion amusing.
All the fuss about the camera, sensor, lens etc being awesome, and then folks run it at 5MP and shoot JPEG's.
08-08-2012, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

Following the thread on Twitch's Flickr group, you get back to a Zachery Jensen who provides a set of pictures done with the RX100 and a YN560 flash. That flash is a very cheap flash, about $60-70, manual flash with sensitive optical triggers that can be used with preflash or not (i have one of those and a YN460II that i used with my K5). In any case, he uses the onboard flash on the RX to trigger the manual flash on some flowers - some very nice work - outdoors no less.

Flickr: Discussing Further experiments with RX-100 + YN-560 in Sony Cyber-shot RX

Guess one doesn't need a hotshoe on the RX

The dpreview Sony Talk forum is completely taken over by RX talk, some saying they are selling their Nex cameras of various stripes in favor of the RX. What an incredible buzzzz on the internet about it. Sony deserves whatever success they get off this camera. Over the last few years, their sensors have shown incredible improvements in performance, and now their NEX and RX designs have shown new insights on what a compact camera can be.
08-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Two reviews of the RX100 with actual tests and some critical comments are PopPhoto and PhotoReview.

But it's interesting (as usual) to see the divergence of conclusions reviewers can display, even after running formal tests - eg PhotoReview says " Buy this camera if: ...you want good-looking photos at high ISO settings" and 'low-light performance exceeded expectations based on the results of our Imatest tests" but PopPhoto says stuff like "... By ISO 800, noise was high enough to earn an Unacceptable rating and remained so up to the camera’s top sensitivity of ISO 6400" .
08-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #119
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find that discussion amusing.
All the fuss about the camera, sensor, lens etc being awesome, and then folks run it at 5MP and shoot JPEG's.
Oh yes of course, how could anyone forget... more megapix is always better!
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #120
Veteran Member

More megapickles aren't always better, of course, but running the RX100 at 5MP all the time seems a bit like shooting the D800 at 9MP or the 645D at 10MP for every shot.

Folks doing so may as well have bought a different camera, and saved themselves a lot of money.