Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving to Canon..?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Having a complete collection of Takumars, I feel that they deserve to be used in a full frame format camera. Now that the Canon 5D Mark III came out, I can find a Mark II somehow cheaper. I have been thinking in buying one to devote it to the Taks. However, I have been reading negative stuff about the adapters and how they may damage the mirror of the Mark II. Can anyone, tell us from their own experience what is the best adpater to use the Taks and if there is any other alternative. I still think in keeping my Pentax K5 (which the reviews show beats the Mark II).
Thanks, Pepe.

06-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
I never heard of adapters damaging the mirror - only of the mirror being damaged by hitting either the rear element or the aperture flange of mounted lenses. There was also the issue of the mirror falling off on her own in the original 5D
06-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Which is the best adapter in you opinion to avoid those problems?
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Which is the best adapter in you opinion to avoid those problems?
It's not about the adapter, it's about the lens. Some go too deep in the mount.

Compatibility list of M42 lenses on Canon EOS 5D dslr

EDIT: Sorry, according to my link the adapter can also make a difference???

06-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It looks like I am going to wait for the Pentax FF.
06-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it looks like you solve one problem and then create another by switching. good idea to wait.
06-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
EDIT: Sorry, according to my link the adapter can also make a difference???
That is interesting ... and scary.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
It looks like I am going to wait for the Pentax FF.
Or try picking a Sony A99 - alpha mount should not have any issues with M42 lenses - it has a longer registration distance than EF mount and there is no mirror movement anyway with SLTs.

06-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
THen, I will have not to wait too long, it is coming in August, they say Sony's purpose is to beat the Canon 5D Mark III. Any price yet?
06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I occasionally use 5DM2 with Super Takumars and other M42 lenses. Adapter that I use is some Chinese M42-EOS adapter off EBAY with focus confirmation chip.

Similar to this:

AF confirm M42 42 lens to canon EOS camera adapter pentax vivitar Meyer jena | eBay

Only once I had an issue with M42 lens, and this lens was Tomioka Revuenon 55 F1.2 lens. Huge rear element of this lens was touching flange of M42-EOS adapter while focusing to infinity. Every other lens worked fine, no issues with the mirror.

BTW 5DM2 works with M42 lenses like a champ in Av mode, much better then Pentax. Metering is accurate and focusing with both optical VF or LV is nice and accurate.
06-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dare I suggest Nikon? Are cheap M42-F adapters. Your Taks could find a home there.
06-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
BTW 5DM2 works with M42 lenses like a champ in Av mode, much better then Pentax. Metering is accurate and focusing with both optical VF or LV is nice and accurate.
I expect WB is better too. I noticed these same advantages when using M42 lenses on MFT.
06-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Dare I suggest Nikon? Are cheap M42-F adapters. Your Taks could find a home there.
What about the difference in the register distance, wasn't it yourself who said Nikon is the donor and not the beneficiary?
06-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
What about the difference in the register distance, wasn't it yourself who said Nikon is the donor and not the beneficiary?
I searched for Pentax-Nikon adapters a couple days ago and found plenty of cheap (US$3) M42-F adapters on eBay. IFF those adapters are 1mm thinner than standard M42-PK adapters THEN screwmount lenses with narrow-enough bases would reach infinity focus on a Nikon cam.

I haven't actually touched nor tried these adapters, but they COULD work. Here's how: The register difference for Pentax and Exakta is even less, about 0.75mm. I have adapted several Exakta-mount lenses for PK by modifying, not the lens, but the adapter! Glue an M39-M42 ring around the Exakta bayonet blades. Grind off about 0.7mm from the narrow flange of the M42-PK adapter. Thread that on the lens and VOILA! A thin-enough Nikon adapter would behave the same.

For Nikon, there could be a limiting factor: lens base width. I have a number of old M42s with rather narrow bases. These could easily fit into the recessed zone of a thinned adapter. Larger M42s would be too wide, would bump against the camera mount ring, would be subject to loss of infinity focus.

So at this point, I'll say that using Taks on Nikon for other than close work is possible but not proved. I'll accept contributions to conduct the experiment, eh?

EDIT: Even if an M42-F adapter couldn't allow recessed seating, some M42s could still be used, the same as I use various M42s on my K20D with a thick-flange NIF (no-infinity-focus) M42-PK adapter:

* Long teles that normally focus past infinity anyway
* Macros and other close work, and portraits; infinity doesn't matter
* Moderately long teles (200-300mm) where stopped-down DOF will reach infinity

Last edited by RioRico; 06-16-2012 at 01:54 PM.
06-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've searched for the M42 to F adapters as well, and those that can achieve infinity focus all have a corrective lens attached to it. Most of the others expressly state that infinity cannot be achieved. If you look at an M42 to K adapter (infinity type), the flange that goes against the lens is about 1mm thick - this is what needs to be removed but how will that affect the lens to body clearance? Remove that flange and the lens will not mount on to a K body, I'd imagine the F mount adapter would encounter the similar problem of lens to body clearance.
06-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I've searched for the M42 to F adapters as well, and those that can achieve infinity focus all have a corrective lens attached to it. Most of the others expressly state that infinity cannot be achieved. If you look at an M42 to K adapter (infinity type), the flange that goes against the lens is about 1mm thick - this is what needs to be removed but how will that affect the lens to body clearance? Remove that flange and the lens will not mount on to a K body, I'd imagine the F mount adapter would encounter the similar problem of lens to body clearance.
My experience adapting Exaktas to Pentax is that about 0.7mm is all that is safe to remove, at least from a M42-PK adapter. M42-F adapters may be thicker, I don't know; but if so, they can be ground down a ways too. What's important is to NOT remove ALL of that thin flange. Enough must be left to fit in the lens mount, else the lens won't seat there.

Perfection is nice but not necessary. If the adaptation is off by a smidge, don't shoot landscapes wide-open. Stopping down to f/11 cures many focus problems.