Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Olympus OM-D E-M5 banding with Panasonic 20mm lens

Olympus has acknowledged that the OM-D E-M5 may show banding at high ISOs when used with the Panasonic 20mm pancake lens, see Olympus acknowledges E-M5 / 20mm banding and is working on fix: Digital Photography Review. Can this problem be related to Why does Nikon warn about banding at high ISOs when using autofocus on Nikon D4 or D800? - Photography?

I know that the the Panasonic 20mm lens does not have any sort of ultrasonic motor, but would EMI from the lens AF motor or electronics explain this problem?

--DragonLord

06-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No clue why, but I have a feeling that much like the 5D II banding problem, it rarely pops up in actual real world photography. I have yet to see any evidence of it on any picture taken with my E-M5 + Panny 20mm. However I have noticed a bug that causes it to lock up if it goes into sleep mode with this particular lens, and Olympus has confirmed they have a firmware fix in progress for that (for now you have to pop the battery out and in to reset it).
06-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There's been quite a few samples posted by users on DPR forums and mu-43.com - definitely visible in real world use (although far from frequent...)

My guess is some kind of EMI, but who knows... Good to see they've acknowledged the issue, hopefully Panasonic will get on board for a fix (I think it would benefit both companies)