Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #1

Nikon: Is there a "green button metering"?

Hey,

might be a silly question, but I can't find a good solution. I bought a Nikon D800 (my first Nikon) and I'm wondering if there's a Pentax-like way of metering. I used my K5 in manual mode with spot metering almost entirely. This is what I did: I metered a surface with the "green button" (e.g. the fur of my black dog, grass, the sky, ...), altered the aperture or shutter speed to get the correct exposure (e.g. minus 1 1/2 to 2 EV for the dog) and then pressed the "star button" to switch aperture and shutter speed values very fast without messing around with the exposure values. This was so quick and reliable!

Is there a similar way of metering for the Nikon system? I really don't like to spin wheels in manual mode to get the correct exposure. It will just take too much time Or is there maybe a good alternative to meter?

Thanks!
Ben

Last edited by 123ben; 06-15-2012 at 12:39 PM.
06-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I think D800 should have the aperture feeler so that you can meter with AI lens by altering the aperture ring. It would feel the same way as you use your FM2/FM10. It should be easier than K5's green button cause that's a step down metering.
06-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. I don't use an AI lens and yes, I'd like to use metering the way I mentioned, because I think it's very practical, especially for series where exposure shouldn't change...

The relevant parts of the K5 manual are from page 112 to 114.

For the green button:
Press the green button.
The shutter speed and aperture value are automatically switched to obtain a proper exposure.

For the AE-L button:
When the exposure is locked (p.121) by pressing the AE-L button in M mode, if the shutter speed or aperture value is changed, the combination of shutter speed and aperture value changes while the exposure value is retained.

Example:If the shutter speed is 1/125 sec. and aperture is F5.6 and these settings are locked with the AE-L button, the aperture automatically changes to F11 if the shutter speed is changed to 1/30 sec. with the front e-dial

I didn't find a similar approach in the D800 manual... Or do I need to get used to a different manner for metering?

I found this blog (http://neilvn.com/tangents/2011/01/06/hyper-manual-mode-for-nikon-and-canon/) which provides very good information for what I'd like to do. I skimmed over it and will try it tomorrow...

Last edited by 123ben; 06-15-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Quote K5 manual / Found a blog
06-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I think I ms-understood your question with the green button. Not sure how to achieve the same thing. Maybe in P mode and then do an exposure lock and then you can change aperture or speed while can still maintain overall exposure. D800 is a fairly advanced FX body. It will take you quite some time to get used to. The Nikon way of custom menu names will drive you crazy for quite some time. You may try post this question at photo.net to get answered. There are some Nikon craziness .

06-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon does not have anything like the green button.

And AFAIK, Nikon does not let you customise the program line the way Pentax does.

Also no hyper-program modes.

You can change the program line in P mode by turning the rear e-dial. To me, this is close enough to hyper-program mode. You can also lock the exposure as you do this.

In nikon land, TAV mode is M + auto ISO.

SV does not exist.
06-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks! I was able to come close to Hyper-Manual-Mode by using the description I posted. Still not as comfortable as the Pentax way, but that's the way it is.
06-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Wow, I didn't know that Pentax would balance the exposure settings with AE-L. That is really neat.