Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The RX100 sensor has over twice the area compared a X10, I don't think we need DPReview to tell us that is significant for IQ. Yes there is a lot more to a camera than sensor size, but for IQ there is no more important factor.

06-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The RX100 sensor has over twice the area compared a X10, I don't think we need DPReview to tell us that is significant for IQ. Yes there is a lot more to a camera than sensor size, but for IQ there is no more important factor.
I think you're confusing sensor size, image quality and enlargement. If you're making 20x30 size prints then you need a larger sensor. If you're making 20x30 size prints why are you looking at the Fuji X10?

For 8x10's my X10 does as well as my Pentax K-5.
06-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Two concerns about the X10 have me holding off on buying it. 1) the white orb issue and how and when the new sensor will be put into new bodies; 2) many reports of dust getting inside the lens elements, and since it's not removable, you can't get in there to blow it out.
06-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The new sensor cameras are out. I've got one.

Dust? Haven't noticed any dramatic accumulation of dust within the lens? Matter-of-fact all my lenses contain "some" specks of dust inside......Tamrons, Sigma, and Pentax. That's a new one for me!

Wonder how Canon, Nikon, Sony..........and all the rest clean their lens interiors. How do you remove lens on a Canon G1X? Who concluded that Fuji X10 collects more dust than anyother camera?

Last edited by WillH; 06-18-2012 at 02:05 AM.
06-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
JHD
Veteran Member

The RX-100 will give you much cleaner output comparable to M4/3, while the X-10 is more like a P&S - especially at higher ISOs. It is also much smaller and easier to carry in a pocket.
06-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
The RX-100 will give you much cleaner output comparable to M4/3, while the X-10 is more like a P&S - especially at higher ISOs. It is also much smaller and easier to carry in a pocket.
At this point it's time to raise my hands in utter defeat! You win! I'm sure your experience with the Fuji X10 is vast and comprehensive serving as the basis for your definitive conclusions.

DSCF2028 by WillH32011, on Flick

Last edited by WillH; 06-18-2012 at 02:27 AM.
06-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Not if you have WhiteMagic... What is White Magic? - YouTube

Dpreview states... "The RX100's aluminium body is solid and reassuringly weighty... The RX100 is a solid, well-constructed little camera."
Sorry, but from the brightness in that video, "White Magic" would be worthless here in Texas. That "bright sun" in the video is what we call midnight here!
Regards!

06-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree with WillH and Rupert. The X10 is a great camera. I have enjoyed mine immensely. Since there was some discussion of the RX100, I thought I would look into it. Honestly I stopped looking after seeing it fails to include a VF and Hotshoe. The X10 is a neat camera for off camera work. Plus, the manual zoom on the X10 is absolutely fantastic. I really don't think that I could go back to an electronic zoom.

to the OP : get which ever camera you enjoy using the most. I think people get carried away with stats. I don't need to see the IQ or debate sensor size to know that the RX 100 a P & S I would not enjoy using.

Just my $.02
06-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Just got myself an X10 yesterday. I have to say it's a very nice little camera, great looking, very well made, easy to change settings. I really enjoy the manual zoom and almost total silent shooting mode. DR is great when set the camera properly.

I don't really care too much about its high ISO performance 'cause I have K5 for that and I seldom shoot in the dark (if I do, I'd prefer using a tripod anyway), but this little camera w/ a tiny sensor works pretty good for indoor, I don't see much problem using it at ISO 800 to 1600, and it produces pretty clean shots at ISO 3200 in pro-low-light mode.

I bought it to replace my m4/3 set up (Just sold my Pany G3 w/ 14/25/45 three-lens kit) so I can bring it out for travel or walkabout w/ the kids. The main idea is to get a camera which is easy to carry but still fun to play, and it can produce good enough photos w/o much post process (JPG only), and better to be a sub-10mp camera. I'd use this camera as a 6mp camera and shoot in JPG only so I can enjoy more time w/ the kids instead of sitting in front of the computer processing all those photos.

When set the camera to EXR Auto, I'm sure even my wife can take some nice photos w/ this little camera.

If I want the best quality or if I go for a photo trip, I'd still use my Pentax setup.
06-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
MSM
Veteran Member

@Frank: I couldn't have said it better myself. Congrats on the X10! I've always enjoyed the photos you have posted in the past. Do post some in the X10/100 thread.
06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Frank......I'm not selling X10's...they already sell themselves as fast a Fuji can make them, and I don't care what anyone shoots with as long as it suits their needs and gives them some joy. Any brand, any camera...if it gets a lot of use and brings pleasure, it's the right one!

However..you did hit on a valid point or two......the DR is very excellent....Pro Low Light is amazingly good....but the ease of use you mentioned is phenomenal for a camera with this much ability.

No doubt your wife can do great with it! The wedding I recently shot with my K5 is a great example. Lacking another shooter, I gave Mrs Rupert the X10 and set it on "P".....she had never shot with it before, other than once for about an hour around the house. She has zero camera experience and wouldn't know one setting from another or any term relating to camera usage. Just totally camera ignorant except for pushing the shutter button.

The bride picked her top ten photos for 8x10 printing last week and Mrs Rupert's X10 shots took five of those spots!

Here are a couple of them.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

It is an amazing little camera, fun to use, and easy to love.....I'm glad you are enjoying yours!

Best Regards!
06-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Frank: I couldn't have said it better myself. Congrats on the X10! I've always enjoyed the photos you have posted in the past. Do post some in the X10/100 thread.
Thanks. Only had the camera for one night. Have to wait until the weekend before I can post some photos

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Frank......I'm not selling X10's...they already sell themselves as fast a Fuji can make them, and I don't care what anyone shoots with as long as it suits their needs and gives them some joy. Any brand, any camera...if it gets a lot of use and brings pleasure, it's the right one!

However..you did hit on a valid point or two......the DR is very excellent....Pro Low Light is amazingly good....but the ease of use you mentioned is phenomenal for a camera with this much ability.

No doubt your wife can do great with it!
Thanks Rupert. Those wedding photos look great even on my laptop. I knew you've been enjoying using the X10 camera for a while, actually your posts and photos had partially helped me decide on this little camera

Although only had the camera for a night, I've read many reviews (especially actual users' feedbacks) and looked at many photos taken by this camera. It's a hard decision to dump my G3 for this camera w/ a much smaller sensor, but I don't see or feel much benefit of keeping two camera systems w/ interchangeable lenses. A good quality p&s camera is a better company for my K5 than a MIL camera.

It's good to see many X10/X100 users here, I'll sure contribute some when I got some good photos to show .

Last edited by frank; 06-18-2012 at 08:11 PM.
06-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks Frank!(from Mrs Rupert!) I look forward to seeing some shots from you in the X10/X100 thread soon. I am still finding that here is a lot to learn to get the best out of the X10 and EXR sensor....there are some dedicated EXR users that have very good articles on gaining maximum advantage from the X10. I have read a few, but haven't really tried their methods....maybe you will be more serious than I am? I hope you can teach us a few things in time.
Regards!
06-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #29
Inactive Account

The issue isn't necessarily dust on lens; it's what happens to that dust when it gets on the sensor... I've seen my Canon G9 die due to this as well as my brother's HX320 (again, superzoom non-detachable lens).

Might be a design issue or something inherent with not being able to remove the lens...

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Two concerns about the X10 have me holding off on buying it. 1) the white orb issue and how and when the new sensor will be put into new bodies; 2) many reports of dust getting inside the lens elements, and since it's not removable, you can't get in there to blow it out.
06-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The X10 is exactly what I want in a camera - fast lens, optical viewfinder, RAW, manual control. Having run an exif reading program to tell me the statistics of the 10k photos on my hard drive, the X10 is right in the sweet spot of 95% of my images. No, it won't do wildlife. I'll live without that.

I'm selling my DSLR gear and going the X10 route. Keeping the film SLR gear and lenses for when I'm feeling 'artsy' - just needed to simplify, and the X10 should be as effective (and a lot smaller) as buying a fast standard zoom for my ancient K200D.

Need the last two lenses to sell before I can pull the trigger on an X10. Planning to get a 40-49mm step ring to use as a hood and with my stash of 49mm filters.