Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
The X10 is exactly what I want in a camera - fast lens, optical viewfinder, RAW, manual control. Having run an exif reading program to tell me the statistics of the 10k photos on my hard drive, the X10 is right in the sweet spot of 95% of my images. No, it won't do wildlife. I'll live without that.

I'm selling my DSLR gear and going the X10 route. Keeping the film SLR gear and lenses for when I'm feeling 'artsy' - just needed to simplify, and the X10 should be as effective (and a lot smaller) as buying a fast standard zoom for my ancient K200D.

Need the last two lenses to sell before I can pull the trigger on an X10. Planning to get a 40-49mm step ring to use as a hood and with my stash of 49mm filters.
That's pretty much what I've done! For all sorts of reasons I stopped doing photography in 2000. Sold all my Canon gear, keeping my Tamron lenses, because they weren't worth much. Bought a little cheap Canon A560 which did what needed to be done business wise. Anyhoo, the Canon A560 zoom crapped out last year and I decided to up grade, so started looking. Discovered the Fuji X10 and bought it - mainly because I wanted something different, I was bored with Canon and Nikon! Whoa! I had no idea how far digital has progressed - I was getting some very nice pictures from that little camera (absolutely love the Fuji colors).

I have a microscope and telescope with Pentax mounts, plus those antique Tamron lenses. Picked up a 55-300mm lens and two adapters for the Tamron lenses and bought a K-5. I was back enjoying photography. It's fun, if one can avoid the pixel peepers, gear heads, number nurds and egos. Just concentrate on using cameras, any camera, and take photographs - lots of photographs.

06-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
and I don't care what anyone shoots with as long as it suits their needs and gives them some joy. Any brand, any camera...if it gets a lot of use and brings pleasure, it's the right one!
There is the fault in your logic. On the internet, you MUST have the same camera brand that the other guy uses or you are an idiot and your camera is a POS if it's not the same one they have.

Last edited by tuco; 06-19-2012 at 09:08 AM.
06-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
There is the fault in your logic. On the internet, you MUST have the same camera brand that the other guy uses or you are an idiot and your camera is a POS if it's not the one they have.
Tis true! That's why I'm enjoying visiting you guys on Ruperts Fuji thread. Sure it's Fuji, but no one is flaunting their X Pro1 over the X10 or X100. They just share what they're doing and how they did it. Refreshing!

With a little food and fun mixed in........
06-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
There is the fault in your logic. On the internet, you MUST have the same camera brand that the other guy uses or you are an idiot and your camera is a POS if it's not the same one they have.
Since I am already considered a Squirrel brained idiot by many.....and even Otis calls my X10 a POS Toy Camera.....what have I got to lose?

Regards!

BTW- I could almost live with the X10 as my only camera...almost, but not quite. The K5 is a powerful machine, and when it comes to certain tasks...like Squirrel shooting, it is superb for my. needs. I also find cropping with the K5 to be heavenly! Not so much with the X10...you have to do better on composition to start with....an area where I am weak.

06-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I like to read over on DPR in the Fuji section once in a while....I can't post there due to a lifetime ban (Thanks Otis! .....we like it much better here anyhow!) but I do enjoy how they love to rip each other apart on DPR! The little X10 has taken a beating over there...but it is interesting that it is still selling as fast as Fuji can make them. Maybe this guy hit on the most logical reason with an illogical word.....

Chose X10 over Sony nex 5N :-): Fujifilm Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

"Magic" That seems to fit a lot of X10 shooters best description of their little "Toy Camera"!

Regards!
06-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can any of the X10 owners post up a long exposure at low ISO?

That seems to be glossed over in all the sample galleries I've seen, and long-exposure night time city shooting (and landscapes when I'm camping) are a big part of my shooting. Thanks!
06-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I can't help you there Grainbelt, but hopefully someone else can. There are several nice X10 sites where the shooters are pretty well experienced with all the functions of the X10.

I do use the Pro Low Light setting quite often, and find it amazingly good. The X10 takes 4 shots rapidly and then combines them into one image for the best noise reduction and detail, and eliminating blur. All handheld.

A couple of them at this setting...I also posted another earlier in this thread.
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

These were handheld and just quick snaps, but they worked for me!

BTW- Love that Tat Shop sign....Tats while you wait! Remarkable, you don't have to leave an arm or leg or butt or boob and pick it up later...they will do it while you wait!

Regards!

06-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #38
Veteran Member

At little low light landscape photo.

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
06-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I was almost too late to get this one.....I pulled off the highway and cars were coming so fast I couldn't get the door open for several minutes, and finally crawled out the passenger side before all light was gone.

I call it "Horizontal Cows"
X10
[IMG] [/IMG]

Just want to add....Damn I love this little Toy Camera!
06-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #40
JHD
Veteran Member

I like to read over on DPR in the Fuji section once in a while....I can't post there due to a lifetime ban (Thanks Otis! .....we like it much better here anyhow!) but I do enjoy how they love to rip each other apart on DPR! The little X10 has taken a beating over there...but it is interesting that it is still selling as fast as Fuji can make them.
Yes, there seems to be no shortage of dissatisfied X-10 owners. The thing is dpreview is where X-10 owners converge, and that pretty much tells the story... There are satisfied X-10 owners and there are many who feel quite disappointed, not only with the X-10, but even more so disappointed with Fuji.

Given the cameras reputation, I hardly think Fuji is selling them as fast as they can make them. At my local camera shop the X-10 sells about as well as the Pentax Q. I was at Peach City Beach Cruise this weekend, Western Canada's premier annual car show. Lots of classic and antique cars with a few hot rods, trucks and motorcycles. I took some shots of cars, but mostly people on the street. It seemed like almost everyone had a camera of some sort. Lots of cell phones, compact point and shoots, many DSLRs by Canon, Nikon and even a few Pentax! But I didn't see one X-10 or any else by Fuji for that matter.

As for the NEX and image quality, it utterly destroys the X-10. I cancelled my preorder of the X-100 for the original NEX-5 and have since bought the NEX-5N. Like so many others before me, I have parted company with the DSLR. I really enjoy using the NEX. It puts a lot pleasure into the experience of taking pictures. The more I use it, the more I enjoy it.
06-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Well, I can't argue that the X10 is taking over the camera world...but I can argue that it does have a certain amount of Magic that few others in its class offer. I most often see it compared to cameras that are not even similar.....like your NEX-5...and not other similar fixed lens cameras that are its same size and construction. Maybe because there aren't any others its size and superb construction with the same great features?

I can tell you that the number of shooters that use the X10 and become addicted is very high, even on DPR where haters abound!
Regards!
06-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #42
JHD
Veteran Member

I don't hate the X-10. I tried it and it wasn't for me. To be honest, I liked the Q more, a lot more... but it wasn't the right camera for me either. After looking at all the options, I bought a V1 to supplement my NEX-5 and NEX-5N. I may yet buy the RX-100 or the Nokia 808 when they become available.

I don't worry too much about reviews and other peoples opinions. I know what I want in a camera.
06-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The short answer is - YES!

To illustrate this a little, here are examples:

Macro:

Wespe - Putzstunde

ISO 2500:

BMW-Welt Abends

Colors:

Time to turn on the heating

Architecture:

Against dark sky

Quite good b/w conversion:

Waiting

More examples here for those who might be interested:
Flickr: Ze Clou's stuff tagged with x10

Michael
06-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I don't hate the X-10. I tried it and it wasn't for me. To be honest, I liked the Q more, a lot more... but it wasn't the right camera for me either. After looking at all the options, I bought a V1 to supplement my NEX-5 and NEX-5N. I may yet buy the RX-100 or the Nokia 808 when they become available.

I don't worry too much about reviews and other peoples opinions. I know what I want in a camera.
No no....I didn't think you hated the X10..and whatever works for you or anyone else is what they should be shooting with. I love my K5, and my X10, but admit that if I could, I would own at least a dozen more different cameras. I find something unique in most every camera....but it's only the X10 where I find the Magic!

Best Regards!

Clou...Some nice work with the X10 there! Whatever it is, the X10 quickly becomes addictive to many. The IQ alone is not the answer, although it is certainly impressive for such a small camera. Maybe it is the size, or all the full camera features..or the solid and professional built metal body and dials/ switches...or the great Fuji color......or the OVF that lets you see clearly on the brightest of days.....or all the wonderful settings like Pro Low Light that make shooting a breeze in any circumstance.....could be the superior fast glass and the ability to zoom in any light and still get the shot with some speed leftover....I could go on...and on...but the best I have heard so far is "Magic". I don't have to convince you, the X10 has already done that!

Love those Fuji colors!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!

BTW- If Fuji guys want to quote my post, they are most welcome....just send a 100# bag of fresh roasted peanuts to Otis Squirrel for allowing me to praise the X10....he hates it and swears it is nothing but a filthy little Toy Camera, worthless for shooting Handsome Squirrels.
06-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't help you there Grainbelt, but hopefully someone else can. There are several nice X10 sites where the shooters are pretty well experienced with all the functions of the X10.

I do use the Pro Low Light setting quite often, and find it amazingly good. The X10 takes 4 shots rapidly and then combines them into one image for the best noise reduction and detail, and eliminating blur. All handheld.

These were handheld and just quick snaps, but they worked for me!

BTW- Love that Tat Shop sign....Tats while you wait! Remarkable, you don't have to leave an arm or leg or butt or boob and pick it up later...they will do it while you wait!

Regards!
and NO more ORBS...