Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Banned

Canon 5D MKIII SD slot does NOT support the high speed standard called UHS

QuoteQuote:
I am going to start this by saying that I really like my Canon 5D Mark III cameras and use them for shooting everything including Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, landscapes, portraits, sports and more. But just after receiving my two cameras I started to play with the memory slots and experimented with the best way to use both memory card slots. My first thought was…it would be great to shoot RAW images to both cards as a backup measure, and my second thought was…I could shoot RAW to the CompactFlash card and JPG to the SD card.Well…after some testing I have determined that, if you care at all about high speed shooting or clearing you buffer quickly, YOU DO NOT want to put a card in the SD slot. Why? Because, for some reason unbeknownst to me, Canon decided to build the 5D Mark III with one very fast CF slot which supports the newer UDMA7 protocol and a standard SD card slot which does NOT support the high speed standard called UHS – for Ultra High Speed. This is really strange because many other cameras have come out with UHS1 compatible slots over the last year. Without UHS support, the top speed that can be achieved by the SD card is 133x. This is true even if you purchase a 600x SD card and insert it in the camera. The best you will get is 133x
Jeff Cables reports you shouldn’t put SD in Canon EOS 5D Mark III if you want speed in CF | planet5D - HDSLR community

QuoteQuote:
Storage Media
Pentax K-01 :
Removable memory: SD, SDHC, SDXC (UHS Speed Class 1 supported)
http://www.pentaximaging.com/hybrid/K-01_Black#!product-specs

Last edited by jogiba; 06-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.