Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
New memory card format for F4

Something I've known about for sometime... The Nikon D4 supports the usual pro-camera CF memory cards - most any two (or even a single one) will do even if they are exactly the same, but...

Then there's the newest of the memory card formats - XDQ. Unfortunately only made by Sony (the same company that brought us all marvels such as Betamax and hard to find memory cards for a Sony V1) and also presently in two flavors (eerrr - pardon me sizes) 16 or 32gb. And these memory cards only work in one camera body under one company label - the Nikon D4.

I'm thinking that not too many people are going to be waiting in lne for the newest version of cards

06-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony likes to experiment, I think! Remember those huge memory stick cards?
06-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yes unfortunately remember the sticks, and also even the Mavica floppy's.

I'm bit suprised though. Sony not placing it in any of their existing cameras - nor do they have plans to as far as we all know. Instead they basically just let Nikon have it, and then for just one of their camera bodies.

Almost all Nikon full frame owners have at least a second camera body. I cannot see a majority of D4 owners ever electing to buy a fully porprietary memory card for a professional level camera. It's almost like purchasing a flash unit that only works with one camera.
06-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Banned

At least Pentax is playing it safe with SD/SDHC/SDXC slots for the memory cards that is in 99% of new cameras that also work great in my i7 Mac Book Air SDHC/SDXC slot. The only camera I have with CF slot is my 11 year old Epson 3100Z.