Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SLRGear reviews new Canon pancake 40mm

Canon Lens: Primes - Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Good news for Canon shooters.

06-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photozone.de did a review of the lens recently too, on FF.

Seems very sharp and very good bang-for-buck.
07-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
I would be interested to see how the Canon biscuit would stack up against any of the pancakes?

The newest 40mm xs; or the other two (about) 40's - or the other Pentax pancakes.

About the only advantage I see is that the Canon has a focus switch whereas the xs does not (not enough room for it btw). The Canon also has the edge in filter size. I personally have tried the biscuit on three different Canon models; the 40xs wins most of the time; except where a lens hood might be needed.
07-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon 40 is FF while the Pentax 40 is "not officially" FF

07-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Pentax 40 is as good as FF. I use it fairly often on film.

The problem is there are no FF Pentax DSLRs.
07-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Pentax 40 is as good as FF. I use it fairly often on film.

The problem is there are no FF Pentax DSLRs.
Also being able to use it on film bodies does not mean it will work well on digital.

Besides, this being the non-Pentax forum, why is it that whenever something nice is said about any other manufacturer's gear, someone has to come show how a Pentax product is actually "better"?
07-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Also being able to use it on film bodies does not mean it will work well on digital.

Besides, this being the non-Pentax forum, why is it that whenever something nice is said about any other manufacturer's gear, someone has to come show how a Pentax product is actually "better"?
I'd say the DA 40 would be decent on full frame (some vignetting wide open). I think the Canon lens is fairly impressive, it is just not really a "true" pancake, although fairly small, but then again, I don't think the DA 15 and DA 70 are truly pancakes either.

07-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter

You must have meant to quote someone else.
07-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
You must have meant to quote someone else.
Well, it was mainly meant for "MediumFormatPro" above, but I was also pointing out that just because it works on FF film doesn't mean it will do well on FF digital.
07-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'd say the DA 40 would be decent on full frame (some vignetting wide open). I think the Canon lens is fairly impressive, it is just not really a "true" pancake, although fairly small, but then again, I don't think the DA 15 and DA 70 are truly pancakes either.
Well, keep in mind Canon has to fit the AF motor in the lens, so that does take up some space.

As for FF, as I said in a previous post, it may or may not do well on FF digital. Some lenses perform great on film but fall apart entirely on digital (mainly due to the angles of the light rays exiting the rear element; with pancakes being as compact as they are, as well as the DA40 being designed to perform well on APS size sensors it could certainly come into play).
07-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If canon actually made a compact FF body this looks like it would be an excellent walkabout lens

A Pentax FF will likely be much more compact so the pancakes will be more appealing i think. this lens likely looks small on a canon, though really isn't overly small
07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, keep in mind Canon has to fit the AF motor in the lens, so that does take up some space.

As for FF, as I said in a previous post, it may or may not do well on FF digital. Some lenses perform great on film but fall apart entirely on digital (mainly due to the angles of the light rays exiting the rear element; with pancakes being as compact as they are, as well as the DA40 being designed to perform well on APS size sensors it could certainly come into play).
Sure. It's understood that lenses that include in-lens motors will be larger than those that don't. Doesn't change the fact that it is bigger. Pentax made decisions a long time ago to include motors in their camera bodies (even the low end ones) and that certainly does allow them to have smaller sized lenses (see 40mm XS).
07-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Canon EF also puts electronic aperture control into the lens (and thus another motor). I'm not sure how big that is, but it is there. Pentax uses another mechanical linkage using a lever.