Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Heck, I just call them all Birdies. I do know the Cardinals and Jays, Doves and Hawks, but most of the rest are a mystery to me.

Will, I'd like the X10 pretty much like it is, but could do without some of the settings as you mentioned, and the complications for certain. Same exact body, same metal construction, same or similar range with the same fast lens and glass quality.....somewhere near the size or a little smaller than the X100...with the same sensor as in my K5. Now that would be a mean machine!

Regards!

07-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an Olympus Stylus 720 SW but I haven't used it since I got a DSLR. I find it very hard to handle (too small and slipprey) and I just don't like shooting with a LCD.
07-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I have an Olympus Stylus 720 SW but I haven't used it since I got a DSLR. I find it very hard to handle (too small and slipprey) and I just don't like shooting with a LCD.
The first time you take your DSLR down a few feet underwater, you might revert back to the 720SW....at least for your water adventures!

Regards!
07-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The first time you take your DSLR down a few feet underwater, you might revert back to the 720SW....at least for your water adventures!
Well that's what I was thinking when I bought it: something to take with me on fishing trips--especially the wet-wading variety. But I just don't do it--it's become more of a fly rod or dslr proposition.

07-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The beauty of small! I was passing through the Town Square last evening and saw the clouds......stopped and shot a few. The little X10 is always ready, always has the right lens ( since you have no option!) and because it is small and unobtrusive, it is always with me. They say the best camera is the one you have with you.....how true! Whatever small camera you use, you get a distinct advantage by having it handy wherever you go!

We may not always win an award for our shots, but we don't have to make excuses as to how we wished we had been able to get a shot that went unsnapped because our DSLR was at home on the shelf.

Regards!

The Nutt House Hotel & Eatery......Otis imagines every room is full of exotic nuts!
[IMG] [/IMG]

A version fro Photomatix 4.2.3 set on Auto.....my first use of this, just downloaded it. Wow! Is it easy to use. This was from a downsized single Jpeg, but with three shots from Raw, it might be excellent? I'll have to give this program some play time!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by Rupert; 07-09-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: add photo
07-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When you are in the local Feed Store, the resident cat won't pose for a big ol' DSLR...but a small camera like the X10 will get their cooperation every time!
....and you can stick your camera in your pocket as you carry those 50# bags of Squirrel feed out to your truck!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
07-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was hoping you guys would post some photos taken with your small cameras...not for comparison or criticism, but to show the "handiness" of having a small camera with you most all the time.

As we were zooming down the Interstate at 70 mph, Mrs Rupert snapped this one...with ease. No time for lens changing or such, just point and shoot!

Dallas Texas...A little tone mapping and warming filter applied.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Feel free to post some shots, I enjoy seeing what others are doing...it gives me some good ideas and encouragement.

Regards!

I love my K5, and all my any lenses, don't misunderstand....but if you were forced to limit your shooting to the use of a small non-interchangeable lens camera, would it be devastating to you, or could you live with it quite easily? Just wondering....I hardly touch my K5 anymore, but I'm not certain I could be happy without it. Maybe......but there are those times I really need it...or think I do?

07-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I was hoping you guys would post some photos taken with your small cameras...not for comparison or criticism, but to show the "handiness" of having a small camera with you most all the time.
I'm with you on showing more pictures. I've only had a real digital camera since November and be frequenting these forums a short time. I thought people would show off their pictures and discuss how they got them more. Doesn't happen often. It's generally talking. Seems like.............

Cameras don't take wonderful photos.....people do! Think a Lieca 9M would make my pictures better....hardly.

X10 for close ups

K-5 for telephoto.

For anything else, I just grab something! Whatever's handy! The X10 is usually very handy!

Last edited by WillH; 07-11-2012 at 04:44 PM.
07-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love that close up! Nice fungus.
07-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Love that close up! Nice fungus.
I was laying flat on the ground. I added just a touch of fill flash. Mushrooms seem to need a little fill flash at ground level. All the EXIF data is on flickr. Glad you liked it.
07-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It's a nice shot, but the bokeh is a bit of a let-down...
07-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
It's a nice shot, but the bokeh is a bit of a let-down...
This one is perhaps a little better... I've got a ways to go for sure.

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
07-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
This one is perhaps a little better... I've got a ways to go for sure.
My apologies. I wasn't criticising your ability, rather the bokeh characteristics of the X10.

Unfortunately your flower shot illustrates it even better. The bokeh appears very nervous.
07-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SSSHHHH, it is a Nikon S9100

I caught this guy while walking the dog with a KEH purchase of a "ssshhhhh" Nikon S9100. It fits nicely in a pocket and seems to work well. It was dirt cheap because the manuals and Nikon CD were missing. Googled the Nikon manual and downloaded but did print. Zooms to 16X but needs a tripod at that zoom. I have a few others I will post after resizing. right out of the camera, no pp. Yes, a little soft but I was shooting one handed as I the other hand was holding the dog leash.....Cliff
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
COOLPIX S9100  Photo 
07-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
My apologies. I wasn't criticising your ability, rather the bokeh characteristics of the X10.

Unfortunately your flower shot illustrates it even better. The bokeh appears very nervous.
No offense taken! Proper editing and setup would improve the images. Afraid small sensor yields rather poor bokeh. But for handy it's nice, IMO.

usn ret, that's nice! Been there Seems the shooting situation can be a challenge! Makes it all the sweeter when one discovers a nice photo was achieved. Point being - take lots of photos. I'd like to see more!

Last edited by WillH; 07-12-2012 at 07:42 AM.