Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Will, love that mushroom shot! Great color........bokeh can easily be processed to your satisfaction, and these tiny sensors don't deliver very good bokeh, so sometimes you have to make your own! I know....to the "Puritans" this is blasphemy, but just burn me at the stake, if you can get past Otis and the Devil Squirrel!

USN....Sounds like you got a deal! Hope you enjoy it and take many shots....post more here! I hope you don't mind, but the urge hit me to "dress a duck". I've never dressed a duck before...plenty of Possums, and Armadillos...but never a duck!

Just add seasoning and he's ready to hang....or cook...that's your call! I see I left a few dust spots around him...so wash thoroughly before cooking!
Attachment 134327

Regards! Post More Photos!

Last edited by Rupert; 02-15-2014 at 08:26 AM.
07-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Rupert. those dust spots were floating on the water. Dust spots on the water and power lines are somethings that are just there. Be careful, you go dressing up like a duck and Otis just might ask you to step thru a shiny white door into his personal sauna. ITS AN OVEN!!!! Thanks.....Cliff
07-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cliff...Glad you liked it! Just wash well before cooking! ...I'm always careful around Otis....have to be!

Small cameras are handy if you have an infestation of Raccoons and want to shoot them!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Come on guys....surely you do more than just sit and admire your Small Cameras? Let's see some shots here!

Best Regards!
07-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK, here's another from Schoodic Point, one of my favorite places in Maine--and part of Acadia National Park, but north of Bar Harbor, so a little out of the way... I took photographs with this camera every day for a week and the battery hardly drained, too.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
07-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I with Rupert! Post some pictures.

When I'm out and about I'm packing my camera so little is better, yet the camera must be rugged. This is a photo taken along our East fence line looking West. Small sensor cameras do get the big picture!

[/url]
IMGP1315 by WillH32011, on Flick
07-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to see a few of us actually use our small cameras! You other guys are plenty welcome to post photos too!
I carry my X10 practically everywhere I go, mostly I just get ordinary photos, junk I guess you could say...but when that Masterpiece comes along, I'll be ready!

Just a normal day, nothing too exciting....

Stuck in traffic in our small town...
[IMG] [/IMG]

Stopped to see my favorite Convenience Store gal....
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

Off to my friend the Butcher Man to pick up my order...he cooks my meat in his big smoker almost every day.
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

He has some nice veggies too!
[IMG] [/IMG]

No Masterpiece today.....maybe tomorrow....I'll have my X10 with me!

Regards!
07-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

To me "small" means shirt pocket size. Otherwise I already have a camera that I can't take everywhere at any time - it's called a DSLR.

A few shots from my Canon S95 some were taken using a tripod...

Last edited by wildman; 08-13-2012 at 11:39 PM.
07-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Wildman, Great! The butterflies are special! Very nice! You did a great job with the cats.

Rupert, did you ever eat those little orange chiles? They'll wake the dead!
07-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Wildman, Great! The butterflies are special! Very nice! You did a great job with the cats.
Thanks.

Your mushroom shot is a winner - my kind of a shot.

This was taken in raw with tripod. Very low light

Last edited by wildman; 08-13-2012 at 11:39 PM.
07-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Rupert, did you ever eat those little orange chiles? They'll wake the dead!
You aren't kidding! I love spicy food, and hot peppers, but Mrs Rupert won't even let me play with them in my cooking.Sinus problems? These little firecrackers are like an explosion in your head, and all sinus cavities are quickly evacuated!

Wildman, those are some really nice shots, in particular I love that yellow butterfly. I guess small is defined by the user. If someone has always shot with a 645 or equivalent sized camera......the X10 is tiny! It does fit in my jacket pocket...in the winter...but here in Texas in July if you wear a jacket they pick you up and take you directly to the mental ward.

Love it that we are seeing some photos posted here! Post more!

Mama Raccoon guards as her babies eat....X10 + Sunpak PF20XD Flash
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
07-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Well....what the heck. It's smallish, portable, not a Pentax and won't fit in your pocket - but I can hang it on a tree!
I've been trying to catch a trespasser for sometime. Lots of poaching going on around here so I want to nab the bugger. Here's an IR shot captured last night of what the poacher's after! Posting just for fun!

wildman, I enjoy taking photos of fungi. Have hundreds of photos on film. Being new to digital, not so many. Your shot is great!

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
07-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Neat catch Will! I wonder how many nice chops my Butcher Man friend could get out of that one? He looks very healthy too....and tender?

You catch him...we'll do the rest!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
07-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Rupert, he's not a Russian Boar, looks like wild domestic. We tried wild pig once, not to my taste. Sorta wild, if you know what I mean. There are no garbage dumps around here so they are pretty heathy. That's a small one, maybe 150#. There's a 400 pounder roaming about. Like to catch that pig in a photo. I noticed fresh cougar tracks at the reservoir this morning when I changed the camera memory chip.

For wildman:

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
07-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice shot there Will.......Maybe you can get some cougar shots? Might be a time for the K5 and a Bigma?

I once witnessed a large cougar kill a javelina at Big Bend, it was an awesome performance! They waste no time in getting down to serious business. You sure don't want to be on the receiving end of a feeding frenzy!

Regards!
07-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back to the original topic:
For me, my "small camera" must easily fit in my pockets, in mid summer preferably in a shirt pocket.

My sister is using a Lumix LX5 privately and professionally, but this would be too big for me.

In pre-digital times, my "small cameras" were my Minox 35PL or GT, and my Minox BL (the "spy" camera) for the shirt. The 35 was a bit over my size limit, but it was the smallest camera you could get with the IQ of a SLR.

Today for me it's an Optio A40, and an Optio S5i for the shirt. Both have excellent optics and allow for big prints (6MP and 12MP), and at ISO100 low noise. I am just missing some focal range on the short side.
Unfortunately, the S5i is often useless in low light, as the AF needs a lot of light, and it has got neither a focus illumination nor the possibility to focus manually. The A40 has got both, but there is not often a need for it, as the low light AF is on par with my K200D (but it hasn't got an optical viewfinder, the S5i has).

However, the A40 is not much bigger than the S5i, but the S5i is MUCH sturdier, and the A40 has a reputation of the LCD very easily being damaged by too much pressure. However, I would prefer both cameras to any of the present non-WR Optios.

Both cameras also offer movie, and the A40 is really good (compared with some cell phones). And both cameras offer all kinds of automatic modes, and manual mode as well. Unfortunately no RAW.