Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #46
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, RKKSO8 ( That can't be your real name ...can it?) if you have what works for you that is all that matters. Sounds like you are well covered and satisfied. So post us some shots here! Just something you have shot with your small cameras that you liked. We're not going to pick at anyone's photos, we just want to see what people are shooting with their small cameras. Otis has the Devil Squirrel standing by for anyone that tries to start a "Camera War" .

I just discovered the other night that my X10 will focus sharply in total darkness. It was surprising to me, since my K5 won't even come close. The light came on and it snapped the shots quickly!
It was pitch black out there!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Lunch today....delicious!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Mrs Rupert, who is at the same weight she was almost 50 years ago gets to have chocolate on her fruit salad!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Love small cameras! Yours or mine, they are so much fun...and so damn handy!

Best Regards!

07-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Howdy RKKSO8, I've got a brick in the wall! Also, taught mathematics for 20 years! So, we have a couple other things in common.
Back to the origional topic! Got any pictures to share?

Oops Rupert! Looks like we posted at the same time ......... Sri about that!
07-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@ WillH
I stopped studying mathematics in 1978! After a long pause I was twice professionally heavily involved in very specialized branches of mathematics - mid to end of the eighties in coordinate systems (shifting and rotating of systems within systems, and all kinds of geometrical bodies within), and beginning to mid of the nineties with (statistics) process control systems. Both have been closed for me since that time, and if I would need the knowledge now I would have to start (nearly) from scratch again.

@ Rupert @ WllH

Of course RKKS08 is not my real name.

There are probably dozens of different reasons why people decide to become members of this forum. For me it is more to exchange knowledge more on the technical side, and learn from professionals. That doesn't mean I would never publish pictures, but there would have to be s special reason for it.

On the fly, I just found a few pictures taken with the Optio S5i a year back. I use the "always with me" cameras more or less for documentation of events which come as a surprise for me, less as a means to do photographic "work" or even "art".
These are pictures which may show the capability to take decent pictures at good conditions with these cameras. They were re-building our local station for the commuter system of greater Frankfurt. There are presently 9 lines connecting the centre with suburbs and surrounding smaller towns like Kronberg, Hanau, Offenbach, Darmstadt, Rüsselsheim, Mainz, Wiesbaden.
It is about 1 km from my home, and it was the first time there was fair weather and I was not in a hurry. After that, I wanted to return regularly with my K200 make a kind of documentation - but then the weather turned bad, and I had no time for a while, and forgot about it.
By the way, the works are still not finished.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio S5i  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio S5i  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio S5i  Photo 
07-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Yulp! you're in Germany all right! Lived there for a spell at Bad Windsheim. I'm sure you know where that is! I taught Mathematics to High School students for 20 years after working in industry for 19 years. My first 19 years took me all over the planet installing hydraulic log handling equipment. When the industry stumbled here in America I was looking at being on the road nearly 100% of the time. Took up teaching mathematics (Algebra II and Trigonometry), high school level mostly. Retired from teaching in 2007, now self employeed. Besides my politics did meld well with the educational environment - 20 years was enough. Now I can say what I think!

The Pentax did the job! Obviously, you were focused on the construction! Thanks for amusing us and playing a long. I did enjoy your photos very much. Much more interesting than the typical photographic fare! If it wasn't for the casual picture taking attitude Rupert, Tuco and several other have around here, this would be no fun at all!

I get bored with the endless data comparing and pixel peeping. I enjoy the pictures and the story behind the pictures. The quality of the photo is important to keep your attention on the subject. The point is, buy a small useful camera the wear in out taking photos! It's just an amusement, entertainment, hobby, social interaction and simply fun. Small cameras are fun!

I took a picture the other day with my iPad 3 that was better than any photo I'd taken with my Canon 560A! Oops.....

Last edited by WillH; 07-15-2012 at 08:16 PM.
07-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like the German photos, a good example of using a small camera for benefit as well as pleasure.

I was never all that sharp in math, geometry was more in my favor, but my youngest son was a whiz in math, and his oldest son, the one currently in Officers School is even more skilled in math than his dad. Guess they didn't get it from me! My youngest son spent the last 10-12 years in Germany, most of it assigned to the top Gen of NATO. He does miss Germany, he loved it there and was going to stay, but Mrs Rupert talked him into coming back to Texas. She made several visits to Europe while he was there and loved the scenery and the people she met. For me, if it isn't in Texas or pretty close by, I am not too interested!

As for serious photography, I'm gonna try it someday! I do love to shoot models, and will get back to that this Fall, but even then, my main goal with my cameras is to have fun and try to share it with anyone interested. Seems to me we have a lot of great shooters, but not enough fun.

Best Regards!
07-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #51
Veteran Member

My daughter cried when we left Germany.

I usually don't confess I was a math teacher, tends to put people off! Remember, I spent nearly twenty years using math to make a living and that changes ones perspective on the subject. Also, I don't think one's ability at math to be a valid class/social distinction. If you're a boring snob that is profecient at mathematics, you're still just a boring snob. I'm dyslectic as hell so learning math a writing was a challenge. Guess I shouldn't tell people. Too much familarity isn't good.

Picture time. One of my German Wine pipes! X10 did okay!

DSCF1594 by WillH32011, on Flick

Last edited by WillH; 07-15-2012 at 08:57 PM.
07-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We tend to do best at things that hold our interest. Math was not interesting to me...geometry was. As a plumber, I used a lot of geometry and knew enough math to get by without difficulty.
English was my favorite.....but that was so long ago......I think teachers have a lot to do with what you excel in.....I had crummy math teachers, but great English teachers.

Now I just loaf and make great dinners!

Shoot a few Raccoons too.....The X10 hot shoe is handy for mounting the Pentax 360 or 540 Flash units.
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!

BTW- What is a wine pipe? I drink a little wine, as little as possible, would a pipe make it go down easier?

07-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We tend to do best at things that hold our interest. Math was not interesting to me...geometry was. As a plumber, I used a lot of geometry and knew enough math to get by without difficulty.
English was my favorite.....but that was so long ago......I think teachers have a lot to do with what you excel in.....I had crummy math teachers,..........

BTW- What is a wine pipe? I drink a little wine, as little as possible, would a pipe make it go down easier?
I agree. Hope you don't think ill of me for confessing? I did try to be a decent teacher of mathematics including geometry. Won "teacher of the year" a few times and that required student input. Wrote a thesis on using CADD to teach mathematics which supported a MS degree. I tried to be a credit to the subject and the teaching profession.

The pipe is sorta like a water pipe only filled with wine. The smoker draws tobacco smoke through the wine to cool and flavor the smoke.
Photo of a photo taken in Bad Windsheirm.

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
07-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's interesting...but I gave up all forms of smoking about 6 years back and don't want to tempt temptation! I don't miss it at all, but sometimes long for a big fat black cigar that stinks to high heaven! I was getting to where I couldn't breathe well on humid days, and we have a lot of humid days. I now breathe fine on any day,and my latest check-up showed my lungs to be "free and clear" of damage.

I never had any problems with math until 10th grade when I got a young and pathetic teacher for algebra. She did not like me and my big mouth, and tried to make my life miserable. I reciprocated in my finest stye and by the end of the 1st semester she was claiming I caused her to miscarry, and she resigned. I won the battle...but lost the war....I never caught up on math.

On the other hand, my English teacher that year was a doll! Very inspirational....on and off campus...but that's another story....

Maybe I relate well to the Raccoons because I understand their curiosity and knack for getting in trouble?

Regards!

To answer your question earlier...the mass on the tree is a desert sand formation from the desert of Saudi Arabia. My son sent it to me when he was on the border with Iraq in the first Gulf War. He was commanding three batteries of Patriot Missiles, and while there kept me informed of the terrain, wildlife, and other traits of the area. That's not a place I would want to be from what I recall....very hostile environment, besides people trying to kill you!

[IMG] [/IMG]
07-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Hope you don't transfer your poor math teacher experience to me!

I've never smoked the wine pipes! They are used more as a novelty item to commemorate some event. I collected a few that are hand painted, unique and made in the late 1800's. I've smoked a pipe for over 40 years. No need to inhale to enjoy a pipe and I don't. Can't inhale pipe smoke and hike the hills as I do. Still, I enjoy my pipes. Here's a 105 year old Calabash that is truly unique. There's a whole history to the Calabash pipe that I think is fascinating.

Canon 560A photos.

Last edited by WillH; 11-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
07-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Neat pipe...is that you Will? I tried a pipe many years ago but did inhale far too often and gave it up.

No worry Will....You seem like you would be a great math teacher, and anyhow, you aren't pregnant....I sure hope!

Best Regards!

What caused her miscarriage...so she claimed, although not even the staff bought her story.

It was a hot day and the windows were open on the ground floor classroom of Mrs Pickle (you can imagine how I used her name against her! ) As I stared out at the covered walkway to the gym, directly adjacent to the classroom, this jerk head was talking with some girls and every time I looked over he shot me the bone. He was sitting up on a rail, and as this went on, he added a smirk at each bony insult toward me.
I waited and when he turned his head to talk to one of the girls, I was out the window and on him! Knocked him clean off the rail and followed up when he hit the ground. I can still hear Mrs Pickle screaming to high heaven and yelling out that I was a murderer and sadistic killer. The guy was only out a few minutes, and recovered just fine. I don't recall anyone ever shooting me the bone again in the next two years.
Didn't help my math, but my English teacher gave me some extra hard work as discipline.......damn...it was hard.....no kidding!

Regards!

BTW- When I met Mrs Rupert she was attending the Baptist Seminary......she had no idea what she was getting herself into! I know she is a Saint...she has to be to have lived all these years with old Rupert!
07-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Ya, I was 43 when I started teaching. Well into menopause with limited egg production.

I have a problem with people who leave grade school, go directly to college, become a teacher, and then go directly into the classroom. No "real" world experience. Then they drag all their biased political opinions into the classroom as well. The result is what we have now!

I met Mrs. H during college. No students loans, we both worked. I was tending bar and she was a waitress. We got married during my senior year so we could live together. No, she wasn't pregnant. That was 43 years ago!
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Ya, I was 43 when I started teaching. Well into menopause with limited egg production.

I have a problem with people who leave grade school, go directly to college, become a teacher, and then go directly into the classroom. No "real" world experience. Then they drag all their biased political opinions into the classroom as well. The result is what we have now!

I met Mrs. H during college. No students loans, we both worked. I was tending bar and she was a waitress. We got married during my senior year so we could live together. No, she wasn't pregnant. That was 43 years ago!
Politics in the classroom...or in Churches...I hate it! Unless it is a dedicated political class, just give me the meat and leave your sauce for someone else....so we are in full agreement, no matter what politics you prefer.

I guess it's now 45 or is it 46? years with Mrs Rupert. I was working in a Dept Store shoe dept, and she worked in the record (those old round discs!) dept. She came in one day in a hurry with a broken heel on her right shoe....I sold her a new pair of shoes...too big, but told her they would shrink....with my big mouth I asked her a lot of questions, followed her home to the Seminary that night (Nowadays I would be called a stalker) and asked her out. Been together ever since......well, except for the times she locked me out!

Regards!

I have a lot of "Daytime Girlfriends" I see almost every day, and sometimes have lunch or just a conversational visit. Mrs Rupert knows them all, and as long as the sun is up and I'm home on time, she doesn't complain.

A short visit with Missy today, she is a sweet girl, one of my favorites! Small cameras are so handy!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Under the strobes, Missy shines!
[IMG] [/IMG]
07-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I haven't seen another sole in at least a month, other than Mrs. H. Oops, I'm wrong, UPS came by once.

Nice photo. Cute kid!

Here's the best I can do! Tis Clancy! Two years ago he got a titanium hip and I got a titanium shoulder! We healed up together. We're real good a feeling sorry for each other.

07-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #60
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Well, RKKSO8 ( That can't be your real name ...can it?) if you have what works for you that is all that matters. Sounds like you are well covered and satisfied. So post us some shots here! Just something you have shot with your small cameras that you liked. We're not going to pick at anyone's photos, we just want to see what people are shooting with their small cameras. Otis has the Devil Squirrel standing by for anyone that tries to start a "Camera War" .

I just discovered the other night that my X10 will focus sharply in total darkness. It was surprising to me, since my K5 won't even come close. The light came on and it snapped the shots quickly!
It was pitch black out there!
[/url] [/IMG]

Lunch today....delicious!
[/url] [/IMG]

Mrs Rupert, who is at the same weight she was almost 50 years ago gets to have chocolate on her fruit salad!
[/url] [/IMG]

Love small cameras! Yours or mine, they are so much fun...and so damn handy!

Best Regards!
Oh man, that looks yummy !