Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How Handy is Your Small Camera?

I was in my daily Eatery today and snapped off this quick shot of two new girls. I just asked them to get close and smile, and shot off a couple. I find the little X10 to be super handy for this sort of shooting, and it doesn't seem to intimidate anyone like a big DSLR might.....or like my K5 with a zoom attached.
Do you feel more comfortable with your small camera (any small camera) and find your subjects more willing to pose than with a larger camera? Just wondering...the X10 just feels like an extension of my arm...and eye. Do you get that sort of feeling when using your small camera too?

They seem more relaxed too....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Of course, everyone at the Eatery knows me, so that might count for the lack of nervousness, but here is one I shot of total strangers a while back...just walked up and asked if I could shoot them with my Toy Camera.....I mean X10!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Among the rambling, I guess what I am asking is do you shoot "differently' or take/receive a different attitude than when using a DSLR? If you care to post some examples or relevant shots, feel free to do so!
Regards!

07-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I couldn't agree more.

When you use a DSLR all the time, you just get accustomed to it. However, to most people in front of it, it is most certainly intimidating.

No one gives a PnS a second glance. And now they are becoming quite good, it's a great time to enjoy photography. I'll certainly be borrowing my wife's RX100 more when she isn't using it.

Cameraphones are even better as they are pretty much invisible on people's radar. My LG Optimus 3D Max is actually even more fun for me right now than the RX100...

I can see DSLRs being relegated to "specific needs" cameras in next to no time.
07-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Inactive Account

My perspective is a little different in that I photograph wildlife and landscapes much more than people, so my subjects don't care what is pointed at them. But I find that I'm using my PnS, which happens to be a Canon s100, at lot. I go out with a long lens on my K-5 and the s100 strapped to my belt. I use the s100 for anything that needs a wide angle or normal perspective. It is so easy to fire off shots that I don't have have to compute the hassle factor, which was very much in play when I previously brought along a short lens to swap out for the long lens on the K-5. So I end up taking a lot of shots that simply wouldn't have occurred w/o the PnS. And to my surprise the IQ is quite decent, e.g., http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/oeriies/landscapes%20flowers%20plan...nemapped-1.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/oeriies/landscapes%20flowers%20plan...owsjune1II.jpg

Now if Pentax or someone would make a supertelephoto PnS with a fixed prime lens, a decent sized sensor, e.g., the 1 inch unit in the RX100, and have it come in weighing a couple of lbs instead of the back-bending load I currently have to carry then even this "specific need" might find its way into the PnS category.
07-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unsinkable....Valid points you brought out.....yours too Oeriies. The versatility of a small camera just makes me shoot more and enjoy better for the bulk of what I do.

Unsinkable....Tell us more of the RX100, post some shots here if you can. I am either going to have to give Mrs Rupert my X10 (Never!) or buy her a new small camera. The RX100 might be a good choice for her? How good are the colors? Any other info you can impart will be appreciated!

Sitting here this morning at my office desk, I looked out to see Otis and since the K5 was mounted with a wide angle lens, I picked up the X10 and gave it a try. Not what the K5 would deliver, but again, the small X10 was ready....and so handy!

Mrs Rupert has been wondering why the tender new parts of her deck plants are dying......I've been telling her it was the heat....maybe not!

Regards!
[IMG] [/IMG]

07-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Banned

I bet the compact MFT cameras like the GF5 with 14-42 zoom or 20mm F1.7 pancake lens would work great for people shots since it has a much larger sensor.

07-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jogiba...I think you are right, and my only problem with any of the mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses is that once you mount a lens, they are no longer all that small. Also, you are back to having all those choices, and that means buying all those lenses! Maybe if there was a tiny zoom for them......?

The X10 with 28-112 is why I didn't buy the X100. I need some zoom room! When you are forced to shoot with the lens on the camera, for me it must be a zoom, and with the X10, it is very good glass....and fast too!

I would love to see a X10 replacement with a little larger sensor, as long as it had a similar zoom lens with the same high quality glass. Maybe it is coming?

It's no secret that I love my X10, but I'm not ignorant of the fact that there are many other great small cameras out there, and most all of them share the same ability I am speaking of here......ease of use and a lack of intimidation to your subjects. If they fit in your shirt or jacket pocket, you will find yourself using them all the time, which for me means more shooting pleasure and fun, and sometimes even a decent and worthy shot!

Best Regards!

If any of you guys have small camera shots you really like, just post them here.....I love viewing other peoples photos...from any camera!

A couple of my favorites....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Walking around the city with a small camera is so easy...nothing else to carry!
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

And if you run across a pretty girl, even if she is a little shy, your small camera won't scare her off!
[IMG] [/IMG]
07-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Slight comparisons between teeny cameras really aren't going to be affecting subject reactions. However big or small the camera, it's how you present such that matters.

My old F-1N is almost exactly the same size as my K20d, though, grips and winders included:interestingly, it seems a lot of people are more at ease with the former than the latter, in my hands, at least. Haven't figured that one out yet.

I'm still apparently faster than automation with that ol'gal, too, instead of telling a computer what to do, exposure's already set *before* I point the camera. You know, shooting on instinct, maybe a bit of fine-focus if there's time, ...and they say you get 'spoiled' by digital, but instead of chimping, you've already fired and you're checking, 'Yeah, that was right.'

I'm not sure the difference, in an age when people can't tell one camera from another, but I figure I must be telegraphing *something* about this not being the compuer's eye as opposed to a photog and a machine. But, I dunno, I've been reaching for some analog roots again lately. Not necessarily about brands or particular machines, just, what my hands know before I do, never mind a computer.

07-07-2012, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree with you Ratlady...to a point. I do think the small cameras are less intimidating, in particular to the younger crowd, but it is certainly a matter of the shooters personality and attitude that will make the final difference. If a person is easily intimidated, their subject may be too....they feel the "vibes". I'm guessing that you are a lot like old Rupert, not easily intimidated if ever! I'm guessing again, that a 10 ft Grizzly with my reflection in his eyes would do it....not much else!

From my standpoint, the X10 is just a little black box of pure fun! When you just have the urge to use something as often as possible....you do!

Regards!
07-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I got the Fuji X10 recently and took it on vacation with my DSLR, and basically had the X10 with me all the time, so easy. I'll post 2 of the images that a re representative of what I documented on the trip... I've posted a few more elsewhere... Whatever the brand/liking, it really is great to take something with you that can just be ready and fit the need, but I also carry binoculars normally, too--smaller ones. I haven't done any PP on these, maybe will for the set later.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X10  Photo 
07-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For me it is a different scenario. I don't do any people shots at all - mostly wildlife.

While I just love my K-5 and DA* 60-250 and FA* 300 4.5 lenses, I have a hard time holding them at times because of some physical limitations as of late. So to help with that, I bought a Panasonic GH2 and a couple lenses. The weight difference is huge and allows me to continue with my hobby. The Panasonic is not quite up to the IQ and DR of my trusty K-5, but on those days where it is all I can use it is certainly good enough!

The Purple Finch was shot with the GH2 w/100-300.

So the question was...."How handy is your small camera?".....for me very handy but in a different way!

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 12:56 AM.
07-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I got the Fuji X10 recently and took it on vacation with my DSLR, and basically had the X10 with me all the time, so easy. I'll post 2 of the images that a re representative of what I documented on the trip... I've posted a few more elsewhere... Whatever the brand/liking, it really is great to take something with you that can just be ready and fit the need, but I also carry binoculars normally, too--smaller ones. I haven't done any PP on these, maybe will for the set later.
Nice shots...and don't you love that Fuji color! I became addicted right away to the X10, even though I have a K20D, and a K5 and around 30 very nice lenses......which I seldom use anymore. Of course, there are times when I still need the K5 and those specific lenses.

Stormtech ...That's not exactly what I call a small camera, but I do see what you are saying, and if it works for you and keeps you shooting, I'm all for it! Happy shooters take photos, post them here, and I get to see them....I like that!
BTW- Love the Purple Finch shot! I have a few that stop by here every so often, and I look forward to their visits!
Not sure what this bird was.....sort of like a Purple Finch, but I'm not certain?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
07-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Chris, you can show us your 35mm cameras and tell us more....we're interested, at least I am! We've got plenty of room for them and your commentary as well as some of your favorite photos from them!

Regards!
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Humm..... How handy? Overall? About 50/50, I suppose.

My only real complaint with the X10 is that it's too complicated. There's options and functions built into the X10 I'll never use. I'd like a straight up, well made, manual range finder camera. I don't need photo editing option on the camera. I could careless about taking videos. Small? I'd like the X10 to be about the size of the X100! There such a thing as too small, and the X10 is almost too small for me.

I know I'm swimming against the tide but I'd sure like a good digital manual camera. Give me a fantastic moderate zoom lens, good sensor, three dials max., manual zoom and focus, touch screen LCD. Manual ISO to 3200, manual shutter speed to 4000ths. with Bulb, manual aperture, compensation dial, OVF containing all the necessary info, with an all metal frame the size of the X100. I'd be happy, happy! Maybe just one Auto mode. Nix all the extra electronic gizmo stuff.

Now that would be "Handy"! :-)

BTW, the birdie is a House Finch. Striped feathers on the belly. Purple Finch doesn't have any........ :-) Don't ya hate a smart ass!

Last edited by WillH; 07-08-2012 at 05:22 PM.
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
BTW, the birdie is a House Finch. Stripped feathers on the belly. Purple Finch doesn't have any........ :-) Don't ya hate a smart ass!
You are correct - House Finch it is. I get easily confused as we have so many finches around here, but my wife also set me straight!

And you are not being a smart ass - I appreciate the correction!
07-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
You are correct - House Finch it is. I get easily confused as we have so many finches around here, but my wife also set me straight!

And you are not being a smart ass - I appreciate the correction!
My birdie info was in error as well until I was corrected on the very issue about a month ago.