◾Extensive manual control points including a mode dial and two Fn buttons
◾Good range of image quality parameters
◾Excellent in-camera raw conversion
◾Good handling
◾Bright optical viewfinder
◾Robust build quality
◾Accurate AF system

Conclusion - Cons
◾Image quality of 12MP JPEG files is lacking compared to peers with more conventional sensors
◾Poor image quality of Raw files processed via the bundled (and other third party) software
◾Live view is partially obscured by menu overlay
◾Optical viewfinder placement means the lens barrel is visible at wide to medium focal lengths
◾Very limited manual controls for video recording
◾Visible artifacts in video capture
◾No manual focus in video mode
◾Large footprint compared to competition
◾Poor battery life
◾Non-standard lens filter threads
Fujifilm X10: Digital Photography Review

The Fujifilm X10 is a noticeably smaller camera than the larger-sensored Canon G1 X (right). However the Sony RX100 (left) impressively manages to fit a sensor twice the size of the X10's into a truly pocketable package.

In this top-down view you can see just how much more bulky both the X10 and Canon G1 X are in comparison to the Sony RX100. Yet the X10 offers what for many may be a reasonable compromise between size and features, with the inclusion of a mechanical zoom ring, optical viewfinder, hotshoe and cable release socket for the shutter button.

07-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All 3 of those are on my "do i buy" list and DPreview did an update to the "orb" and this is what they concluded:

Fujifilm X10: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by Clicker; 07-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.
07-12-2012, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I would take the RX100 any day of the week over the X10.
07-12-2012, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having owned the X10 since November, I would quickly buy it over again...even over the RX100. Once you actually hold the X10 and feel the fine craftsmanship and solid "Real Camera" body, most other small cameras fall very short. Add the OVF, the dials and easy controls, and great Fuji color, and it is hard for me to imagine anything else going with me everywhere I go. Few things in life deliver the satisfaction you anticipate.....my X10 has far exceeded my wildest expectations.
I don't do video, and don't print larger than 8x10 unless I use my K5, and concede there are many other fine small cameras....but none built like the X10......and I like a hotshoe too....the X10 has one!
Regards!

07-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Rupert! How's Otis taking the DRP Silver Award? I imagine the nuts are flying!

BTW, you forgot to mention the fantastic manual zoom. Those motor drive zooms drive me crazy and when they go kaput you're simply SOL.
07-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Will....Otis is opening an investigation into DPR's rating of the X10, he thinks they were paid off to give it a Silver, and stands by his own personal rating of Black Dirt-6%, and adds it only got that because he feels sorry for me.

Regards!
07-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The biggest problem with the RX100 is the size.

It's so small and convenient that my wife takes it everywhere meaning I don't get a chance to play with it!

07-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
The biggest problem with the RX100 is the size.

It's so small and convenient that my wife takes it everywhere meaning I don't get a chance to play with it!
I'd love to see some photos from the RX100......got any? I don't see them anywhere so far, but am very interested.

Regards!
07-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If not because these weak points : flash, raw and video (and I don't really care to shoot w/ RAW and flash anyway), it'd easily get a gold award. To me that's pretty good for such a small sensor
07-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'd love to see some photos from the RX100......got any? I don't see them anywhere so far, but am very interested.

Regards!
For that, I'd have to go out of my comfort zone and post stuff online. I'm not even on facebook. But, sure, I'd do it.

What is the easiest way to get images onto the forum?
07-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!
of the wife especially...lol

* i donated my aged but still pretty decent now Panasonic TZ5 ...so now it has to be replaced i might end up with all three if i can't decide when i walk into the store....if my wallet is lucky they'll only have one of the three in stock