Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sony A900 opinion

I need some advise. What's your opinion on A900? Will it be an upgrade from K-x or say even k-5?

I was planning to get D800 but waiting to get left AF problem fixed. Recently I was offered a used A900 for $1100 (80k actuation). Seller is also offering Minolta AF 50/1.4 and AF 35/2 for additional $550.

A900 has nice resolution & in body stabilization like Pentax which I liked. However, very basic AF compared to Nikon, even less dynamic range compared to k-5 (feel free to correct). One of the reason to get Nikon was fantastic AF compared to Pentax, so I guess A900 is not there. Anyone used both Pentax & A900?

Please advice, what do you suggest. Is D800 a better choice? Should I wait for A99? I have no previous investment in either Nikon or Sony so that's not a constraint. D800 is expensive but Sony 135mm & 85mm seems to be even more expensive than Nikon and this will nullify cost advantage of getting A900 (please correct).

Thanks

07-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #2

The A900 was released before Sony made their "magic" 16mp APS-C sensor, so the sensor is quite a bit dated now. The sensor has a reputation for being quite noisy, and that was back when it was first released, quoting the DPR review: "Relatively high levels of noise at anything over ISO 400 (ISO 6400 is of very, very limited use)". The gap with the current generation is only wider now, as you can see on the dxomark link below.

If I were in the market for a FF camera, I would be waiting for Photokina in September before making a choice. There are rumours about a very affordable Nikon D600 (close to or even under $2k, depending on the sources) and Sony should announce their A99.

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
07-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yeah, seems like I should be waiting till Photokina

Just wondering, not many seems to have used A900 here.
07-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think dgaies has one. You could message him and ask. He also has a d700. I would wait though, any of the new cameras should be a lot better.

I am having some fun with a loaned Mark 2 and Zeiss 50/2 macro.

07-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
I own one and mostly agree with WyldRage; it can be a bit noisy. I personally only use cameras at their best iso settings though.

And if I'm recalling correctly I don't believe there are any new A900's on the B&H website; please correct me if you happen to find one.

Also tehnically the A900 does have a better sensor in general than any non medium format Pentax, but... The build quality for existing Pentax's is better and also they're actually made to last longer - ouch.

If you can afford to wait till the Photokina event; then wait and see if Pentax comes out with anything. Either that or stay with existing Pentax options or go to Nikon, but even as a Sony owner I would typically not give them a thumbs up for most people to purchase them
07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for your suggestions. After a lengthy consideration, I decided to pass this opportunity and will wait till Photokina which is not too far. A99 is something I am really excited about. Secondly, Pentax might release new FF body which can utilizes my existing lenses (though I am still doubtful about Pentax capability to offer good AF) and may be D600 or fixed D800. Let's see.

Thanks once again for all the suggestion.
07-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good decision.

You really can't jump systems like this just because a deal for a used body comes along.

The decision between Pentax, Nikon or Sony depends on many, many factors, and a current body is not first.

I got myself a D800 as second system to Pentax and lenses and their committment to serious still photography have been major reasons.

Ignore the Left AF problem if you can. Nikon will fix it. I had good talks to Nikon managers and they are committed to get this resolved for all affected customers. If you have time to wait (life is finite some say, though) then wait.

07-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I could have actually got d800 but I live in India and service options are limited compared to USA, so the safest option would be to wait. Its anyway won't long before Nikon fix it though silence on their part is a bit uncomfortable. A99 also looks interesting with 100+ cross type af sensors and in body stabilization. Let's see.

Yusuf
07-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You really can't jump systems like this just because a deal for a used body comes along.
I agree in general, but if I had a chance to snap a bargain deal for a A900 (a great camera, AFAIC) and say a 135 STF, I'd strongly consider going for it.

Having such a camera and unique lens on the side, next to another system with flashes, many other lenses, etc. would make sense to me.

Unless one intends a camera to build a comprehensive system around it, it can make sense with one or two lenses only, depending on one's intentions with it, of course.
07-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was looking into A900 myself but can't decide..
Reasons? :
- As falconeye said, it's not just about current body. And A900 is past being current. A99 sounds nice but it will be pelicle mirror. I don't mind the idea as such but if you compare Sony SLT cameras with DSLRs fitted with the same sensor, the DSLR will always win at anything over ISO400 and that's of concern for me..

- despite A900 being promoted as pro camera, it's shutter is only tested for 150000 actuations which is behind CaNikons

- old Minolta glass is hard to come by and new Zeiss-Sony lenses are uber expensive

- D600 and possible Canon answer to it...to elaborate, I believe that if 2k or sub2k FF body/ies will hit the market the prices of older FF cameras will crash..so I expect the D700, 5D2, 5D and older 1Ds bodies to fall in price..

Also, did you consider 5D2? It's AF is far from the sophistication of 1D/1Ds series, or Nikon D800, 700 and later one digit series, but in speed it still blows Safox system out of water without any effort. And even the single line sensors need really, and I mean really low light to start acting up...personally I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this one but I'm waiting for what D600 will do to the market...

PS: Dan (dgaies) has A850 with some fantastic glass but last time I spoke with him, he barely uses it (busy at work) so couldn't comment on AF compare to Pentax. He recommended to contact member "farfisa" who has been Sony FF shooter for a while now...

Good luck and if you'll get any reply on your questions please keep us posted
07-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I was looking into A900 myself but can't decide..
- despite A900 being promoted as pro camera, it's shutter is only tested for 150000 actuations which is behind CaNikons
It's 100000 actually, according to Sony website.

PS: Dan (dgaies) has A850 with some fantastic glass but last time I spoke with him, he barely uses it (busy at work) so couldn't comment on AF compare to Pentax. He recommended to contact member "farfisa" who has been Sony FF shooter for a while now...
A900 AF is not much different from K-x, in fact k-x AF seems to be slightly better. However, A900 has really big bright viewfinder which certainly helps on estimating a good focus.
07-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
It's 100000 actually, according to Sony website.
Well then Sony is a no go.. I mean 100k is enough but I'm more assured by my 1D3's rating

QuoteQuote:
A900 AF is not much different from K-x, in fact k-x AF seems to be slightly better. However, A900 has really big bright viewfinder which certainly helps on estimating a good focus.
If this is the case, then A900 is definitely a no go.. I have K-x and I never thought much of it's AF...
Any specific reason why you haven't looked at Canon? Seriously their AF systems I tried (1D3, 1Ds3, 1Ds2, 5D, 5D2 and 7D) blow K-x or/and K-7 to bits...I know given the price diference one would expect it but the diference is HUGE!!! Where my wife's K-x will not focus with 31ltd at all, 7D with EF35/2 would go zip and locked! Where K-5 was stuttering in shop dim light with 31ltd before finally locking, 5D2 did ssh and locked firmly with EF28/1.8...I did comparison of D700 with AF50/1.4 D agains 1D3 with EF50/1.4 and they seemed to be neck and neck..

My 2p
07-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Agree about 7D AF however mkII is not there. I wish mkIII had better sensor but for the same price (well, less actually), d800 makes more sense to me
07-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Agree about 7D AF however mkII is not there. I wish mkIII had better sensor but for the same price (well, less actually), d800 makes more sense to me
well, yes and no IMO...
I agree that if 5D2 had the AF of 7D it would be a killer but Canon clearly didn't want to cannibalize the sales of 1Ds3...
D800 simply doesn't tempt me because it would mean I'd have to upgrade the PC too.. and I definitely don't have money for that and with the amount of shots I'm taking my PC would go nuts...5D3 would be great option and I don't mind the sensor at all but it's out of the reach.
I'd love 1Ds3 but still can't afford it so 5D2 seems a logical conclusion, many say the AF is not that great, but then if you take a look on how well that camera has sold (still sells actually) it can't really be that bad... I did actually try one and despite the continuous AF didn't impress me too much, the single shot AF was as fast and as accurate as my 1D3, but it's less customizable and in low light it probably would run into trouble sooner than 1D3 so I'm on a limbo...
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
many say the AF is not that great, but then if you take a look on how well that camera has sold (still sells actually) it can't really be that bad....
Agree, it's not bad, although not in league of 7D or D800 but when combined with USM, it simply outclasses k-5+FA77 as far as AF is concern, no missed shot like k-5.