Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2012, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rupert's Final X10 Review

It's been a while since my last X10 report, and this will be my final one. Sometimes we get all enthused but after a while lose interest or become dissatisfied with our purchase. This has not been my experience with the X10.

Since my last Rupert Report, Fuji has solved the "Orb" problem, and DPR has done an X10 review, which I found to be reasonably accurate and balanced.

My own experience at the 8 month mark, and having shot thousands of shots in all kinds of circumstances is that my love for the X10 has not diminished but rather has grown deeper and more solid. Rather than a long boring technical analysis, I'll just list the main attributes that appeal to me and hold my interest to this day.

*The superb body build.....it just reeks of high quality construction, and even now, after all this time, I get great satisfaction from just holding its tight solid little body in my hands. Sort of like sitting in a fine race car....just being there has a certain amount of thrill to it.

*IQ in all type of conditions......I have used the X10 in daylight, darkness, total darkness, and everywhere in between. It has very seldom failed me in any circumstance. The versatility is amazing, and the IQ exceeds my needs or expectations in almost every situation. No...it won't match my K5, I didn't expect it to, but in some cases it exceeds it. The x10 will focus for a flash shot in total darkness, and nail it almost every time.

Six feet away in the darkness, you would not have seen these Raccoons until they bit you! The X10 lit themup with it's little powerful focus assist and got the flash shot easily!
[IMG] [/IMG]

*OVF....I know, no one needs one, I hear it all the time, but they must not shoot in the blazing sunlight we have here. I admit, it is not often I need it, but when I do it is a lifesaver to be able to see with crystal clarity what you want to shoot.
A good example....we were in Louisiana recently, and ate at this place (Excellent food....Exit 115 off of I-10) and the owner offered to snap a photo of me and Mrs Rupert...I handed him the X10 (Be very careful with my X10!) and he immediately complained that it was too bright outside for him to see the LCD clearly. I said....."look through tthe viewfinder". He was amazed to see it had a viewfinder, he looked, he snapped....

Works for me! Worked for him too!
[IMG] [/IMG]

*Hot Shoe...This may be a "Toy Camera" as Otis claims, but it has Big Camera features, like full control dials...solid metal ones...and a nice hot shoe for a flash or a wireless transmitter. It comes in very handy when you want more flash power or to fire off a wireless flash set up. Maybe not all that important...until you need it!

I needed it here!
[IMG] [/IMG]

*Portability No,it won't fit in your shirt pocket easily,if at all, but it will fit in a jacket pocket. Mostly, it stays very comfortably in my hands, where that great "feel" is constantly encouraging you to "shoot something!". I seldom go anywhere without it, and feel naked when I do. Other Small Cameras can do the same....or better...at being small and portable. However, none of them can fell like the X10 in your hands. If you have never held an X10, give it a try!

There are many other things that fascinate and thrill me with my X10, these have been the highlights. At this point I have taken thousands of shots, some good, some bad, and some just plain ugly. You can see a few of them here.

Fuji -x10 - a set on Flickr

One other note of interest....Mrs Rupert has little interest in photography, but the ease of use of the X10 has made her much more interested in what I do and in taking a few shots herself with the X10. The OVF is what she likes best, along with the fact that her shots turn out decent without knowing much about anything camera-wise.
In the recent wedding I shot with my K5, Mrs Rupert assisted as a second shooter, using the little X10....5 of the 10 "Most Favorites" of the bride were shot with the X10 by Mrs Rupert, who has zero camera training and had only about an hour of practice with the X10.

You did good Mrs Rupert!
[IMG] [/IMG]

She also shot this as we were zooming down the Interstate at 70 mph...Mrs Rupert has a good eye for composition...better than me actually!
[IMG] [/IMG]

That's it! I still love my X10...it's no longer "new" but it still gives the same thrill and a satisfaction it did the day I got it. Not many things in this fast moving world can hold my interest that long. Maybe a replacement X10 with that new Sony sensor like the RX100 will come along, and steal my heart too? I'll be here waiting, but meanwhile, my X10 will be in my hands wherever I go!

Best Regards!
Rupert

07-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just read my own review...seems pretty biased to me? Must have been influenced badly by those review guys at DPR everyone complains about?
Do I still stand by my review? Damn right I do...every word!

Regards!
07-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Your whole series of reviews have been interesting. It's good to know that the X10 has staying power as a camera. Most of the camera reviews we see are usually only based on a few days of use.
07-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Great job Rupert. This was one of the best camera reviews that I have recently read.

(No dear...really...I swear, I am not buying another camera!)

07-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts - and all the photos with your X10.

Because of your threads, I've been tempted many times to get an X10 to try for myself, but I've been busy building my ultimate Pentax kit, which I am about done with.

And now, once again, off I go to check the prices of the X10...........

Edit to add: I get confused when looking at these smaller cameras as far as the focal length of the lens - what is the 35mm equivalent FL of the X10 zoom lens?
07-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Rupert, I've sure enjoyed my X10 as well. Far too many people read the dribble posted on DPR FTF and are influenced by the vocal bias of a few. I can't speak to all the false statements printed by that select few. Great lens, good sensor, manual zoom, perfect size, all metal construction, and versatile with numerous modes! What's not to like!

Last edited by WillH; 07-21-2012 at 06:28 PM.
07-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice review, you cover the important things like how usable the camera is rather than just sticking with the technical aspects.

As an aside, is that really you standing next to Mrs. Rupert? Somehow I had rather imagined you would look a bit more like a squirrel.

07-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Your whole series of reviews have been interesting. It's good to know that the X10 has staying power as a camera. Most of the camera reviews we see are usually only based on a few days of use.
Thanks, glad it held your interest. It is important to love your camera long after the new wears off.....this is sure the case with the X10.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Great job Rupert. This was one of the best camera reviews that I have recently read.
Thanks too! I'm about as ordinary as they come, no high tech stuff here, just the view of an old Squirrel shooter.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Edit to add: I get confused when looking at these smaller cameras as far as the focal length of the lens - what is the 35mm equivalent FL of the X10 zoom lens?
Stormtech, it is a range of 28-112mm....which I find a very good choice for almost all I shoot. Remember...it is fast at both ends, the glass is superb too! Knowing your work, I think this is a camera you would love as I do!

QuoteOriginally posted by Will:
H;2033445]Great lens, good sensor, manual zoom, perfect size, all metal construction, and versatile with numerous modes! What's not to like!
Will...I know you love your X10, and you pretty much nailed it with your comment, it just performs, and very nicely! You are so right! What's not to like!

Mtansley...Mrs Rupert made me cleanup for our trip.......I try not to look like that too often. Otis says that in no way do I favor a Handsome Squirrel....and you know I never argue with Otis!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards! Thanks for your comments, I wasn't sure anyone would still be interested in the X10...but in my opinion, they should be!
07-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great post. It was largely due to you that I came to be an X10 user, and I love it, just like you. Not much escapes this gem, it's the perfect travel camera for me.
07-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Great post. It was largely due to you that I came to be an X10 user, and I love it, just like you. Not much escapes this gem, it's the perfect travel camera for me.
Camera didn't interest me as much as the chicken fried steak!

Rupert, is that you! Put some hair on that mug and you'd be damn near as pretty as me!

Last edited by WillH; 01-12-2013 at 04:33 PM.
07-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Camera didn't interest me as much as the chicken fried steak!
Life without the X10 and Chicken Fried Steak would not be fun, no doubt about it!

Regards!

Mrs Rupert is a small woman, only 120 lbs...but she ate the whole thing...that's how good they are! If any of you guys ever get down my way, I'll be proud to buy you one of your own!
[IMG] [/IMG]
07-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Banned

'Good camera that can deliver nice images.
07-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice review Rupert. You (and some others) got me into this camera, and now it's become my favorite camera too. Together w/ a Pany GX1 and K5, I'm all set for any type of occasions
07-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Life without the X10 and Chicken Fried Steak would not be fun, no doubt about it!

Regards!

Mrs Rupert is a small woman, only 120 lbs...but she ate the whole thing...that's how good they are! If any of you guys ever get down my way, I'll be proud to buy you one of your own!
[/url] [/IMG]

That Chicken Fried Steak caught my interest! Wow!
07-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ron/Frank...The comments are appreciated!
Frank, I am so glad to have played a little part in your deciding on the X10.....you are one of my all time favorite shooters, and I would hate to disappoint you.

Pinholecam.......Come on down and I will buy you a large one...the one shown here was the small. The large covers the entire plate! No kidding!

I like lots of gravy on mine!
[IMG] [/IMG]

While I wait for my order, the X10 is perfect to snap photos of the waitress and cashier...they all love the little X10 too!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!