Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Voigtlander Bessa R4A

There's a guy selling one, in mint condition, for the equivalent of US$ 588. Compared to the price of other rangefinders, like Leica M's around here, it seemed cheap.

Is it worth it? I'm tempted to buy it, even if just for reselling.

07-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the Bessa R4 serie is the voigtlander version of Leica M mount rangefinders.

The R4A have aperture priority setting, while the R4M is fully manual but with mechanical shutter.

It's the "cheap" Leica.

But i can't tell if it is worth it.
07-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
There's a guy selling one, in mint condition, for the equivalent of US$ 588. Compared to the price of other rangefinders, like Leica M's around here, it seemed cheap.

Is it worth it? I'm tempted to buy it, even if just for reselling.
If its really in mint condition, i would say its worth it. I did a cursory look on ebay and they go for about 800-850.
07-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback. Here's the link for the offer: Voigtlander Bessa R4a (somente Corpo) - R$ 1.000,00 no MercadoLivre

Making the conversion at current rates, it's actually at 490 USD. He's also offering it with a Voigtländer 35mm F/1,4 Nokton at 980 USD.

If processing film was still an option I would buy it to use myself I might get it to resell, need to find a local rangefinder club/forum first, though.

07-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thank you for the feedback. Here's the link for the offer: Voigtlander Bessa R4a (somente Corpo) - R$ 1.000,00 no MercadoLivre

Making the conversion at current rates, it's actually at 490 USD. He's also offering it with a Voigtländer 35mm F/1,4 Nokton at 980 USD.

If processing film was still an option I would buy it to use myself I might get it to resell, need to find a local rangefinder club/forum first, though.
Shoot Black and white, you can process it in your bathroom really cheap
07-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Shoot Black and white, you can process it in your bathroom really cheap
It's getting harder to find film itself around here, let alone chemicals for processing Some minilabs still process C41, but it won't last long.
07-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Bessas are great rangefinders. Rangefinderforum.com will tell you a lot. Seems like a very good price. The R4 series is really for wide angle photogs, though. See here ("If you are a shooter who primarily uses 35/40/50/ and longer lenses it is not for you.") The R2 or R3 cameras are better for those who don't shoot primarily wider than 35).

07-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
The R4 series is really for wide angle photogs, though.
You say that because of the viewfinder magnification? Does it interfere negatively when using a 35mm or longer lens? Sorry for the ignorance, I don't know anything about rangefinders.
07-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You say that because of the viewfinder magnification? Does it interfere negatively when using a 35mm or longer lens? Sorry for the ignorance, I don't know anything about rangefinders.
It is my understanding that the different models of Bessas have different frame lines for various focal lengths.

Also, with range finders, you have parallax errors that become more noticeable for longer lenses. Remember, your not actually looking thru the lens when you look in the view finder.
07-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Zeiss Ikon ZI rangefinder, another cheaper alternative to Leica M, but double the price of Bessa. I would say that for 588, in excellent condition, it is a good deal. This is a review and comparison of all the three - Leica, Bessa and Zeiss Ikon.
Leica M7 vs. Voigtlander Bessa vs Zeiss Ikon, an Opinionated Review - photo.net

I love good rangefinders, so I would buy it.

cheers,

Abhi
07-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is because of the magnification. I think on the R4 you can select something like 28mm, 35, or 50mm for framelines, whereas the R3 is a life-size finder that you can select 35, 50, or something like 85. They take all the same lenses, it's just about the finder coverage and magnification they come with.