Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #1

Why no Pentax K-5 at Olympics?

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/31/canons-drool-worthy-gear-room-at-the-london-olympics/

Last edited by Babbs; 08-07-2012 at 11:15 AM.
08-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you know there isn't someone shooting a k-5 there?
08-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is a guy shooting 4x5 (David Burnett) , judging by his past output some of the best shots at the games will be his

Large Format Sports Photographer Seen at Olympic Gymnastics

Galleries: David Burnett | Photographer

So it altogether possible there is someone shooting a K5
08-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Flickr: rc-soar's Photostream There you are.

08-07-2012, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax; The Jamaican Bobsled team of the photographer Olympics.
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Pentax; The Jamaican Bobsled team of the photographer Olympics.
Even the Jamaican Bobsled team had a movie. Pentax is the Synchronized swimming of the photographer Olympics.
08-07-2012, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I believe some of you are missing the point. If Pentax supplied professional users like the Canon (and Nikon) factories do, we might see many more Pentax cameras at the Olympics, and other major events too.

08-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A lot of pentax users are serious amateurs who are after certain qualities in the lens line up or just a loyal follower of the brand. The use of camera gear in these events are limited since it requires media pass to do anything close up and personal in this precious world event. After all, normal day to day snapshots can be done by smart phones these days with reasonable quality.
08-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I believe some of you are missing the point. If Pentax supplied professional users like the Canon (and Nikon) factories do, we might see many more Pentax cameras at the Olympics, and other major events too.
Pentax hasn't really ever to my mind pursued the pro sports market. never really been their niche. Canon and Nikon have long done exactly what they are doing this time, huge equipment rooms for accredited pros to draw on. you are still expected to bring your own kit, those rooms are supplementary and as backups
Even when pentax had the lenses needed in the 90's it was a rare person who shot sports with the brand.
08-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Pentax hasn't really ever to my mind pursued the pro sports market. never really been their niche. Canon and Nikon have long done exactly what they are doing this time, huge equipment rooms for accredited pros to draw on. you are still expected to bring your own kit, those rooms are supplementary and as backups
Even when pentax had the lenses needed in the 90's it was a rare person who shot sports with the brand.
But (IMHO) that's why Pentax's market share is so low. People mimic what professionals do. That's how Nike built it's legendary status, by making sure no matter what sporting event you went to, you always see their product. Will buying a Nikon/Canon make you a professional photographer? Nope, neither will buying Nike shoes make you triathlon champion, but it's the public perception that if the pro uses it, it must be good, so that's what the public wants. Just imagine the lenses and bodies we might have available if Pentax had 30 or 40 percent of the market! Remember, market share directly effects research and development funding.
08-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
But (IMHO) that's why Pentax's market share is so low. People mimic what professionals do. That's how Nike built it's legendary status, by making sure no matter what sporting event you went to, you always see their product. Will buying a Nikon/Canon make you a professional photographer? Nope, neither will buying Nike shoes make you triathlon champion, but it's the public perception that if the pro uses it, it must be good, so that's what the public wants. Just imagine the lenses and bodies we might have available if Pentax had 30 or 40 percent of the market! Remember, market share directly effects research and development funding.
I agree that as a marketing tool it is excellent. Unfortunately there is not the needed assortment in the line to really pursue it at the moment. It's an expensive game to pursue for Ricoh, Sony is closer having Ff cameras and that silly expensive special order lens, but they too are not ready to compete at that level.
At some point they may get there but they need to build the core line first.
08-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I spoke with a marketing person with pentax and they have no budget for anything like that.

I do agree though and they should supply a few pros.
08-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I spoke with a marketing person with pentax and they have no budget for anything like that.

I do agree though and they should supply a few pros.

Pentax does have a professional response service - and from what I hear, it's quite fast and friendly.
08-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Pentax does have a professional response service - and from what I hear, it's quite fast and friendly.
there is a big difference between having Pro service (which was reintroduced with the 645D BTW) and being able to budget to do the Olympics. Maybe next summer games in 4 years the system will again be complete enough to move in that direction, but there are lot's of holes to fill first
08-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I believe Pentax does not have a CPS or NPS in place, PPS but it's not as organized for huge events just on a one to one basis.

PENTAX - PENTAX ANNOUNCES PRO PROGRAM: BENEFITS INCLUDE EQUIPMENT LOANS AND EXPEDITED REPAIRS