Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice Twitch, but I'm not allowed to give you another like for that one per the forum rules.

08-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
great shot. did you use an nd filter?
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Very cool
Does the RX100 have a ND filter?

Geez, sorry, I didnt realize someone asked that.
No ND filter built in, I just placed one over the lens.
08-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote

Here's an interesting perspective from an owner of the RX-100... Re: Olympus XZ-1 vs. Sony RX100.: Olympus Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Page 1 of that thread has some XZ-1 and RZ100 comparison shots. It's not even close...

Olympus XZ-1 vs. Sony RX100. [Page 1]: Olympus Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
08-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still interested in the RX100 for Mrs Rupert, pending the question I have about the LCD in very bright sunlight. If she can't see it in bright sunshine, she will do what she did with her TZ1....throw it in the river out of frustration....and I can't afford that!

As for the images I see so far...haven't seen anything that I haven't seen of equal quality from those that are very good shooters using the X10....or several other Small Cameras, however the ability to crop or print large and the tiny size are definite attributes worthy of consideration.

Very interesting camera....maybe someone will report on direct sunlight usage of the LCD?

Best Regards!

08-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Very interesting camera....maybe someone will report on direct sunlight usage of the LCD?

Best Regards!
The additional white pixel seems to help. I've shot it in powerful sun here in HK, and it's perfectly usable. Not miraculous, but way better than my K-30 / Galaxy Note / LG Optimus 3D Max.
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
As for the images I see so far...haven't seen anything that I haven't seen of equal quality from those that are very good shooters using the X10....or several other Small Cameras, however the ability to crop or print large and the tiny size are definite attributes worthy of consideration.
With its larger sensor, I think the differences will make themselves more apparent in lower light/higher iso shots, especially when Raw converters begin supporting it. Most of the shots you are seeing are JPEGs.

I have read that LR4 Beta testing is on going for the RX100
08-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
The additional white pixel seems to help. I've shot it in powerful sun here in HK, and it's perfectly usable. Not miraculous, but way better than my K-30 / Galaxy Note / LG Optimus 3D Max.
You have to menu dive, but my NEX 5N has a bright sunlight setting for the LCD. It works really well. The F3 is supposedly better, and I think the same tech as in the RX100. Does the RX100 have a specific setting for bright sunshine?
08-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
You have to menu dive, but my NEX 5N has a bright sunlight setting for the LCD. It works really well. The F3 is supposedly better, and I think the same tech as in the RX100. Does the RX100 have a specific setting for bright sunshine?
Not that I have seen; I certainly didn't set it as such. I'll take a look when my wife returns from a trip tomorrow.

08-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #39
JHD
Veteran Member

Page 1 of that thread has some XZ-1 and RZ100 comparison shots. It's not even close...

Olympus XZ-1 vs. Sony RX100. [Page 1]: Olympus Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Don't know why the link doesn't go to the intended post but here's the post comparing the XZ-1 to the RX-100...

QuoteQuote:
I had the XZ-1 with the VF-3 viewfinder. I got rid of it for the RX100. Now that I've used the RX100 for about 3 weeks I think I'm going to return it.

Since everyone knows how great the sensor is (and it is), I'll focus on the negatives .

My main problems with RX100 are with the exposure/metering, no ND filter, and no EVF. With the XZ-1, I could trust that 90% of my ESP metered photos shot outdoors would come out ok. With the RX100, I'd say that drops down to 70%. It tends to overexpose to a degree that isn't recoverable in RAW. It's a good thing the RX100 has a better sensor because in sunny conditions, I have to shoot -.7 EV and bring back the shadows in post. WIth Sony's slow Image Data Converter, that isn't a fun task. Unfortunately, I have to use it to correct the DRO dynamic range settings and color correct the images to get rid of a green cast. The resulting images look good, but it's time consuming. The inconsistency of the RX100 can be seen in the user samples in the Sony forum. Some are stunning DSLR-like photos, while others are blown out images that could have been taken on a Blackberry. That inconsistency isn't good if they're going after the point and shoot market.

In sunny conditions, the lack of an ND filter with the shutter speed limit forces you to close down the aperture which restricts your creative options. The LCD is good, but there were times when I had to struggle to see what was on the screen. While the Sony's screen does a good job relative to the competition, I think I may have been spoiled by using an EVF. I also don't like composing certain shots on an LCD screen.

I find my portraits on the XZ-1 have better bokeh than the ones taken with the RX100. When the RX100's bokeh looks better is when it's wide open and right next to the subject--good for macros, but usually not a good distance for a portrait. ANd speaking of macros, the XZ-1 let's you get closer to the subject. I've missed a few shots with the RX100 because I had to find the right distance for it to focus correctly. Those insects don't like to stay put!

When I bought the XZ-1, it was because I moved on from point and shoots--in both IQ and creativity. The big advantage of the RX100 over the XZ-1 is the sensor. There is no question that the sensor is much cleaner and can capture more details. But some of the design decisions made for it's packaging limits the camera for me. I could work with those issues, but I think I'll wait for the XZ2 or the next generation of cameras that use Sony's ground breaking sensor. It is an S100 killer for sure, but I think they need to do a little more to kill the XZ.

Last edited by JHD; 08-13-2012 at 10:02 AM.
08-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Thanks, I originally went to page 3 and read the post in it's entirety.

I thought it might be worthwhile reading the rest of the thread, and page 1 showed some advances. To be blunt, the RX100 appears to take pocketable cameras to a new level, with the Oly a distant silver.

The XZ-1 is good(ish) value now, but wishing it to be class-leading is not going to make it so. The RX100 will be shat-upon by something else soon enough too!
08-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

The RX100 will be shat-upon by something else soon enough too!
Yup...same thing with any other electronic device.
Thats why the best thing to do is to buy the very best when you need it, then not read any magazine or website review of the latest and greatest to avoid temptation until your camera breaks.

But who am I kidding? Men like toys and we like the biggest, fastest, best...so our gear is obsoleted whenever the newest thing comes around, which in these times is every 2 months.
08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #42
JHD
Veteran Member

There is no end-all be-all, nor will there ever be. But the wonky metering kills my interest in the RX-100.
08-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
There is no end-all be-all, nor will there ever be. But the wonky metering kills my interest in the RX-100.
Probably only 1,000 pics in with the RX, but the metering has been fine so far. More than I can say for my K-30!
08-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probably only 1,000 pics in with the RX, but the metering has been fine so far. More than I can say for my K-30!
Same here, metering is as good or better than my K-5. Sometimes people like to be controversial for the sake of it IMHO. I read a post where someone returned their RX100 because it lacked a viewfinder, so why buy it
08-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #45
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
...metering is as good or better than my K-5. Sometimes people like to be controversial for the sake of it IMHO.

However such is not case with RX-100 -- as far as metering and exposure is concerned. If the K-5 can't do any better than the RX-100, it's a sad day for Pentax and a great day for telephones. Check out the link below. It takes a few minutes to open, but it's well worth the wait...

Nokia 808 PureView VS Sony RX100 ???? - DCFever.com

Here's a sample for those that can't wait...

Sony RX-100

Nokia Pureview 808