Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Sony Sensor with phase detection AF pixels on sensor!

SonyAlpha Rumors has reported that a 16mb sensor will have phase detection AF built into the sensor itself.

(SR5) NEX-5R sensor has phase detection pixels on sensor!!!

Trusted sources told us that the NEX-5R has a new 16 Megapixel sensor with phase detection AF pixels on sensor! This is pretty much the same technology used by the new Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera (click here to see that cam) that also uses those kind of pixels. It allows a super fast autofocusing and more reliable tracking of moving objects while the contrast autofocus is more accurate. Combine that and you have an almost perfect autofocus!

It’s not confirmed yet but the NEX-6 could use exactly the same sensor!

P.S.: Last year we spotted a Sony patent describing that technology (Click here to read it).

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.
08-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maybe also in Pentax K-5n.
08-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wasn't Nikon the first to do this with the Nikon 1 series? And yes, it is unbelievably fast!
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Related post from SonyAlpha Rumors:

Phase detection or not phase detection….that’s the question! Mirrorless cameras are currently do lag behind most DSLR cameras in terms of autofocus speed. That’s why Sony is developing a sensor for NEX cameras that has built-in phase detection capabilities. I found (again) a new patent that describes the technology (Click here to see the publication at freepatentsonline). Fuji is already using it on the Finepix Z800EXR (Click here to see that camera)! See the Fuji camera specs at Amazon, Adorama, B&H, J&R, eBay. There is also a nice article on Dpreview (Click here) that describes the Fuji technology.

But I don’t know if such a sensor will be ever implemented in NEX cameras. Rumors are saying that Olympus next PEN cameras will have an extremely fast and accurate autotofocus and catch up with DSLR cameras in terms of af speed. So maybe Sony is wasting time with it?

Free Patent Search = http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP2330449A1.html

08-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They get this right and it's another nail in the DSLR coffin.
08-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

DPReview recently showed off how quickly the hybrid AF works for Canon:

The video shows that hybrid AF doesn't guarantee speed, though I am hopeful for the future of the technology.

In the meantime, CDAF alone is kicking butt for AF-S with µ4/3. PDAF will probably improve AF-C sometime down the road. And Canon/Sony will probably figure out how to focus quickly after a few iterations.
08-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone have a look at the leaked photos for the NEX-5R?

More leaked Sony NEX-5R images | Photo Rumors

I REALLY like the look of the 5R!!

It is still small, no flash, looks like it takes the add on viewfinder, I like the new edial.

Looks like the screen flips like the 3F. Not sure I like that, I would rather have the ability to point the screen down like the 5n

Not sure if I like the look of the NEX-6. That mode dial looks out of place. Does anyone really need a mode dial?

08-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Wasn't Nikon the first to do this with the Nikon 1 series? And yes, it is unbelievably fast!
Actually, it was Fujifilm with their F300 EXR and Z800 EXR launched in July 2010.

See for instance Exclusive: Fujifilm's phase detection system explained: Digital Photography Review
08-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
The video shows that hybrid AF doesn't guarantee speed, though I am hopeful for the future of the technology.
Personally, I rather hope for the image analysis based focusing technics (like this one: http://jburge.cps.utexas.edu/research/Home_files/BurgeGeisler_PNAS_2011.pdf).
This looks more promising than PDAF in any way: more accurate (better control on the image itself, more light even the bayer filter: ½ of light available vs ⅓ of light used in PDAF sensors in SLR cameras).