Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What should I lubricate this little Vivitar P&S with?

...or should I?
For reasons too long to explain, I may not be able to take all my "real" camera gear on an upcoming trip. I shoot film. So for quick snapshots with a flash I got my little Vivitar 320Z (not my photo; just googled) out of the closet. When I put the batteries (yes, new) in, the lens zoomed all the way out & then stuck. Wouldn't do anything except make some funny noises like it was quietly sneezing. Wouldn't turn on, off, zoom, & shutter wouldn't fire. The rewind thing worked. I had the batteries out, in, out, in, on, off, etc... finally something sort of clicked & now it seems to be ok. Its last outing was 3 years ago, when it was exposed to a lot of salt air. I'm guessing maybe it was just a little dry after sitting in the closet. The inside looks like-new clean. So I was wondering if I should try lubricating it with anything, or leave it alone? My default choice for lubricating things is WD40 but I've never had to do this with a camera. Wondering whether I should spritz anything in it or just leave it, & run the lens in & out a few more times before I put a film in it.
Any advice? (Other than "go buy a little digicam"?)
Thank you!

09-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I wouldn't use WD40 - it can damage electronic components and it isn't meant to be a lube. It's a water dispersant (hence the 'WD') and contains solvents that dissolve and strip proper lubrication and can make it run into places it's not wanted. The little oil it contains tends to evaporate off quickly and the residue it leaves behind can get gummy and stick components together.

Other than that, can't help I'm afraid.
09-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, WD40 quite literally "gums up the works". When it comes into contact with existing grease it turns into a quite hard gummy substance. Instantly locking up the lens.

I've used coppergrease on MANUAL FOCUS lenses with great success. I would guess that you should keep a copper based grease far away from any electric components.
09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I probably wouldn't have put WD in it. But wondering if there is anything else that would ensure it's going to work smoothly, or should I just leave it alone & run the lens in & out a few times before I load a film? It just seemed to be a little sticky.