Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Breaking news: Sony announces first full frame compact camera

In a rather strange twist, Sony is apparently announcing a compact FF camera!

The Sony RX1 compact camera with a full frame CMOS sensor and Zeiss Sonnar 2/35 lens. According to SAR, this is a fix lens camera that will cost $3000. Very interesting development!

Here are the fist Sony RX1 specs:
  • 24MP full frame CMOS sensor (same as in the Sony a99)
  • ISO range: 100-25,600
  • 14 bit RAW processing
  • Magnesium body
  • AVCHD 2.0 video processing
  • 3 in. LCD screen
  • Optional optical and electronic viewfinders will be available
  • 5 fps
  • Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f/2 lens with 49mm filter thread (obviously)
  • Price: $2799

Source: Breaking: Sony RX1- the first full frame compact camera | Photo Rumors

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-10-2012 at 05:30 AM.
09-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No idea about other people, but I can't possibly imagine spending 3K on a fixed lens camera
09-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
No idea about other people, but I can't possibly imagine spending 3K on a fixed lens camera
We will have to see how well it performs. It is competing with Leica so it is a steal at that price if its IQ and performance is up to expectations. Early rumored prices are often high and that might include a kit lens. If it includes the new 35mm F/2 lens then the price is actually very good.
09-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
We will have to see how well it performs. It is competing with Leica so it is a steal at that price if its IQ and performance is up to expectations. Early rumored prices are often high and that might include a kit lens. If it includes the new 35mm F/2 lens then the price is actually very good.
Sony is most likely using a new sensor of their own make. Add a custom fitted Zeiss lens and I can't see how the IQ could be anything else but marvelous.

09-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me neither. But what's interesting is that they are showing that a FF mirrorless camera can be really small, good for future products.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder:
It is competing with Leica so it is a steal at that price if its IQ and performance is up to expectations.
Leica is also rumored to release a kind of "stripped down" M9, around half the price of the M10. Competition is gonna be tough
09-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As a fixed lens camera the market will be very small, but it is a first step to a FF ILC body. The short flange distance and large image circle will make for some expensive glass and probably require telecentric lens designs with the added cost and size.

It will be interesting to see how fast Sony can move with this and what the market does. I am also interested in what Hassy might be doing with a MF EVIL RF camera. Probably more than what I want to spend, but Hassy has the ability to put a pro-grade system on the market with good glass. The current MF sensors are less than 2x the size of 135mm sensors and not nearly as big as true MF film.
09-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

We need to consolidate these three RX1 threads...

Jason

09-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Competition will only brings new and innovative products to customers... love this.
09-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guys, this is the kind of camera i was expecting from Pentax.. (with an interchangeable lens)
It's a really nice move from Sony, we can't blame them to be a non-inovative company.
09-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would agree with this. For me it would help a little bit if you can use an EVF/OVF on it. And it will depend a lot on the price. But...

I'm guessing the images this camera produces will be awesome. But with the Fuji X100 a pretty good performer with a built in OVF at the same exact equivalent focal length, I don't see why I'd pick this Sony instead.

Or I could buy that new Fuji X-E1 camera, which features a built in EVF with two or three lenses. Or the awesome OM-D EM5 with a few lenses. Or the Sony Nex system. Or the Samsung NXs. And on and on. This is becoming a very competitive segment.

The main niche I can see for this camera is it will provide near top of the line image quality for a travel camera and could be an awesome backup camera for pros. That would be worthwhile, but I'm not sure how successful they'll be with it. Either way, I admire their innovation in giving this a try.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 09-09-2012 at 01:35 PM.
09-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Guys, this is the kind of camera i was expecting from Pentax.. (with an interchangeable lens)
It's a really nice move from Sony, we can't blame them to be a non-inovative company.
How do you feel about a FF without an optical viewfinder?
Its possible that Pentax is doing to right thing by watching how this plays out before making a move.
09-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How do you feel about a FF without an optical viewfinder?
Its possible that Pentax is doing to right thing by watching how this plays out before making a move.
With a really good EVF I don't have a problem with it. I don't plan on using a FF EVIL in the same way as I use my Contax 645 or K-5 so my expectations of its features and capabilities are different. A good 3MP EVF with a really high refresh rate is fine for what I need from this type of camera.
09-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Banned

For that money I would get the VG900 Full Frame NEX camcorder for just $300 more.
Filmmaker will not believe me on this: NEX-VG900 Full Frame E-mount camera for a tiny bit more than 3.000 Euro! | sonyalpharumors
(SR5) Full VG900 Full Frame NEX camcorder specs! With Full Frame A-mount adapter! | sonyalpharumors
09-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Good point. An exciting time for both video and stills. Almost too many choices
09-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Intriguing but not worth the investment. A FF MILC would be more versatile and appeal to more users. Pentax would make something like this when they can make a Canikon FF competitor that is significantly smaller and lighter than its rival cameras.