Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Banned

RX1 $2,798 at B&H for pre-order Expected availability: December 19 2012

Sony DSC-RX1 Full Frame Point & Shoot Digital Camera DSCRX1

09-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They didn't even put a zoom on it. What's their market? DSLR users who've discovered they don't like to change lenses and have determined 35 mm is the only lens they'll ever need? Are they coming out with a similar camera with an 85 mm lens on it for people who like to take portraits? Is the idea that they sell you a whole camera for every focal length you might need? Exactly what is the plan here? The idea of avoiding getting dust on my sensor is appealing, but the idea of essentially paying $2700 for the use of one lens really sucks. Oh wait, this is like those expensive Lieca's that don't have interchangeable lenses. I guess Sony is about to find out that for photographers saying I own a Sony isn't like saying I own a Lieca. That's why I don't get it. I've never owned a Lieca. The concept is foreign to me. This is a rich people camera.

Did Sony's marketing people tell them the high end market is easy to break in to and ripe for picking? Or did their design team make this as a technical exercise just to prove they could do it, without regard to whether or not they could make money on it?

Did no one tell them rich people buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like, and that building the reputation to sell to these people takes centuries?

Although at that price for a point and shoot, they probably only have to sell a thousand to recoup their R&D investment.
09-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
I also do not see this Sony camera working well at that price point. Sigma has tried it with variations of their DP cameras; which actually sell less than even the Pentax K-01 - quite interesting. But I could see this technology eventually being passed along for use in other Sony camera models.

As for the Leica issues mentioned above. Darn I'm still waiting for my Leica Monochrom - it was supposed to be here by now. But to try to explain Leica to the avrage person - even a true artist or professional photographer - is still difficult. It's also like trying to explain why Swiss automatic watches are just plain better than any attempt at the same. I would pay most any amount to have that Leica build quality, unmatched optical quality, even the sound of the camera. Leica is the Swiss watch of cameras
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They didn't even put a zoom on it. What's their market? DSLR users who've discovered they don't like to change lenses and have determined 35 mm is the only lens they'll ever need?
Because that would make it too big!
Their market is for those who want a compact FF camera; someone who prefers a good sharp fast prime, rather than slow zoom; someone who like the option of carrying the camera in a jacket pocket or a purse, rather than lugging around a camera bag; or someone from the rangefinder crowd.

On paper and for "bang for the buck", A99, being at the same price, should be much more popular, right?
Well, not according to Amazon sales chart! RX1 has been #2 all day, just behind NEX-6. What about A99? #19.

Even though Amazon sales chart would change by the hour, but it does give you a glimpse of its popularity.

I believe RX1 is a brave and smart move for Sony.
For A99, who are the potential clients? Most likely Sony or Minolta users. Would Canon/Nkon users give it second look? Not very likely.

However, RX1 is unique. There are no other cameras like it (at this point). So the potential clients includes users from all brands.
And people buying it would not feel being attached to or bought into the whole brand or system, so Canon/Nikon users would feel comfortable buying one.

You never know. Bloggers like Steve Huff and Thom Hogan believe that it would sell well.

09-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Banned

It's not a bad idea. The Leica X2 is $2000 and has an APS-C sensor - compared to it, the RX1 sounds like a very good deal.

I have no interest in it, but it's nice to see such products in the market.
09-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm kind of PO'd about this one. I wanted a full frame NEX, and this feels like a slap in the face, especially since they leaked it as such. I agree with Norm, this seems to be an odd choice, and I don't understand the market, but it appears to be selling, so what do I know? There is precedent with quality fixed lens film cameras. Perhaps the 1%ers hipster children are buying these to be 'contrarian' and now able to scoff at the Leica X2's tiny sensor. Lots of richers buy Priuses even though they are merely toyotas, and affordable.
09-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Even as the world economy still slump, lots of people have lots of money. They will sell them, no doubt about it, but I think I'm with Norm...it doesn't make much sense to a serious shooter. Fixed lens, no viewfinder, how serious could you be?

Regards!

09-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is an important camera and I hope it does well. This is a camera Nikon or Canon refused to introduce. Now hopefully it sells well and they are forced to come out with similar offerings. I could handle the single focal, but definitely need a viewfinder.

If someone made a small FF with lightning quick AF ala Nikon V1 and a great electronic viewfinder or better yet, hybrid viewfinder, I'd be all over it in 35 or 50mm.
09-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Banned

Looking at it side-by-side with the X100, it is not very compact either - the X100 has a larger body, but a flatter profile - I can see it in a pocket, but the RX-1 will still need a bag. The RX-1 is comparable in size with the NEX-6 and the new 16-50 zoom.

I think Sony is focusing their high end efforts on their SLT line and they won't cannibalize that line by putting FF sensors in the NEX. Not many great Sony/Zeiss lenses either - just consumer stuff like the batch they just released.
09-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
according to one of the "engineers" it's primary target is a street shooter similar to Fujifilm's X100
09-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
according to one of the "engineers" it's primary target is a street shooter similar to Fujifilm's X100
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/198350...ml#post2094385
09-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
10-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Apparently the lens is quite a performer on this little beast.

Here is the RX1 35mm Zeiss lens resolution chart. | sonyalpharumors

Jason
10-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My guess would be this new fixed-lens Sony will be considered a failure in the market and therefore lead to other more cameras but think about the Leica perspective. B&H also stocks the M9 at $7995, the M at $6950, and the 35/2 Summicron-M at $3195. A person would be looking at three times the price to shoot Leica gear in the manner of the Sony. Say what you will about limitations and such but there is a subset of photographers (one camera + one lens) out there which will buy every one of these new cameras Sony wants to produce.
10-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
K-9
Veteran Member

This simply will not sell well at that price point.