Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need an articulated screen!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Without going into all the gory details, because of some physical limitations, I really need a camera with an articulated screen.

As an example, I was shooting a nice little waterfall scene in a deep forest setting today, and I needed to get the camera as low to the ground as possible for the composition I wanted. I simply can not kneel or squat down, and got kind of frustrated. There are many other times where I want a very low point of view for what I am shooting, and just can't get there.

In my foray of trying different cameras out the past couple years, the only one I had with an articulated screen was the Panasonic GH2. It was a revaluation for me simply because of the screen.

I am a viewfinder person, and only use the LCD screen when absolutely necessary for composition and shooting. Guess that comes from habit of so many years with my SLR's. But, things are different now, and I need to adapt somehow.

While I really liked the GH2, I've settled on my K-5 as my main camera/system. Now as a backup and small camera, plus one that I can use on days when my limitations are quite acute, I just love my Fuji X10. I am very happy with these two cameras and don't want to change. But, like in instances like today, it makes me wonder if I can match either of these cameras with one that has a fully articulating screen - anything out there? Or, is there an accessory that I could use that would help me? An accessory would be the best bet as I am finally settled on these cameras plus I am pretty invested in Pentax glass now.

I see the specs on the new Sony a99 has the screen I am looking for, but I am really hesitant to change systems right now. Fuji doesn't seem to have any (love those Fuji colors!). Is there anything else out there with comparable IQ of the K-5 that has the articulated screen?

09-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A right-angle viewfinder might fit the bill for you. It's not going to completely alleviate the need to get down but at least you would be able to do so with more neck comfort.

For Example:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/190670906096
09-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
Do what "Hollywood" does, but on a budget - a budget for them and even a budget for you.

Typically whn Hollywood does a movie with a Panaflex/Panavision or even a RedOne; they'll use a high quality mirror to get it to appear as though the camera is at or near water level. One can simply use the camera at most any angle to the water; pointing down, upside down, etc...
09-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I sympathise, I would dearly love this feature too:

You have a few options:
Sony NEX 5, NEX 6 and NEX 7
Olympus OMD (not quite as good IQ but close)
Canon 60D
Nikon D5100

09-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I want one, too. Canon P&S's have spoiled me. It really frees up the limitations of having the camera stuck to your eye, or having to take multiple tries. If you've seen my celebrity graves thread you will understand why it would be useful for me :-)
09-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
A right-angle viewfinder might fit the bill for you. It's not going to completely alleviate the need to get down but at least you would be able to do so with more neck comfort.

For Example:
Pentax Right Angle Finder with Original Case on eBay!
I thought about an angle finder, but I don't think it would help me get down to or close to ground level.

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Do what "Hollywood" does, but on a budget - a budget for them and even a budget for you.

Typically whn Hollywood does a movie with a Panaflex/Panavision or even a RedOne; they'll use a high quality mirror to get it to appear as though the camera is at or near water level. One can simply use the camera at most any angle to the water; pointing down, upside down, etc...
Ahh - mirrors! But my waterfall shooting today was not really typical - there are many times I am shooting flowers or greenery when I want a point of view from close to the ground. Even though I usually use a tripod for these, it still doesn't help me with seeing through the viewfinder or screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I sympathise, I would dearly love this feature too:

You have a few options:
Sony NEX 5, NEX 6 and NEX 7
Olympus OMD (not quite as good IQ but close)
Canon 60D
Nikon D5100
I was looking at the Sony a77 as an option, but the few reviews I've read so far aren't too keen on higher ISO IQ. I am really spoiled now with the K-5 in that respect. While there looking, I did look at the NEX 7 - I didn't realize that it does have a viewfinder (a must!) but from what I saw it looks as if the screen simply tilts - I will have to look into it further to see if it would tilt in the upward position enough.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone!
09-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was happy when I read the ancient rumours of the K-5n with an articulated screen. Too bad that didn't pan out. I'm hoping Pentax will have these things in their next cameras.. at least tilting if not fully articulated

09-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #8

I've used the Flipbac Angle Viewfinder [flipbac(dot)com] on my old S90 to excellent effect for both low and side angle shots. It's listed as fitting the K-7 (so ditto for the K-5.) It's extremely well built and my experience with the company was great. (Yay Canada!) The only downside I can see that it's semi-permanently affixed to the screen.

Last edited by DevKom; 09-13-2012 at 09:25 AM.
09-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DevKom Quote
I've used the Flipbac Angle Viewfinder [flipbac(dot)com] on my old S90 to excellent effect for both low and side angle shots. It's listed as fitting the K-7 (so ditto for the K-5.) It's extremely well built and my experience with the company was great. (Yay Canada!) The only downside I can see that it's semi-permanently affixed to the screen.
Now this looks like a great solution!

Thanks for posting - I am going to take a hard look at it.