Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I was waiting to see what Pentax would do at Photokina,
That was my inital plan, but I knew it would be a let-down and decided to sell up early and get a higher price for the K-5 while I could before its replacement came along.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm also considering an older version of the Nikon lens or the 180/2.8 prime.
That lens is amazing by the way

Also screw-driven Nikon lenses (from my experince so far) are way queiter than the Pentax screw-drive

09-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
It's also the hassle of selling everything that stops people from switching. And genuinely liking the Pentax system.

I said it in another thread, but the Nikon 200mm macro looks like quite the bargain compared to used FA*200mm macro prices.
I agree it's a hassle, but it's either that or feel the full sting of paying full prices versus selling your used stuff to mitigate the cost. The other reality is dealing with low-ballers, shipping, and the fact that you won't always get the price you want for your old gear. But you know what? Every little cent helps.

As for the Pentax system itself, I know there are things that I will lose and miss by switching. Namely, the convenience of a smaller, lighter, system that's weather resistant and has great IQ. But that's a sacrifice I'm willing to contend with, as I've gained more accuracy with focusing under low light, faster AF with better tracking, wireless iTTL transmission with my Pocket Wizards, and a more robust video setup if I'm so inclined.

If I don't end up selling my K-5, I may convert it to a prime only kit keeping my limiteds while selling off all my zooms. The K-5 is still a great camera despite some weaknesses and would be an awesome travel cam. I just wish there were WR limiteds.
09-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #228
Inactive Account

Just gone through my first 100 shots with D600, i like it. FF feels nice, the VF feels very much more nice than before and i couldnt believe a 50mm could feel so nice!!!
09-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I agree it's a hassle, but it's either that or feel the full sting of paying full prices versus selling your used stuff to mitigate the cost. The other reality is dealing with low-ballers, shipping, and the fact that you won't always get the price you want for your old gear. But you know what? Every little cent helps.

As for the Pentax system itself, I know there are things that I will lose and miss by switching. Namely, the convenience of a smaller, lighter, system that's weather resistant and has great IQ. But that's a sacrifice I'm willing to contend with, as I've gained more accuracy with focusing under low light, faster AF with better tracking, wireless iTTL transmission with my Pocket Wizards, and a more robust video setup if I'm so inclined.

If I don't end up selling my K-5, I may convert it to a prime only kit keeping my limiteds while selling off all my zooms. The K-5 is still a great camera despite some weaknesses and would be an awesome travel cam. I just wish there were WR limiteds.
Hmmn, a similar position here or may well be. I went into a high-end camera dealer today and had a play with the D600 and a 24-85mm zoom. Felt good in my hands, super big and bright OVF, seemed responsive, overall I wouldn't have much trouble adapting to it. The one thing which put me off was that it just didn't have much heft, or feeling or solidity. It's probably just as well or better made than scores of other cams out there but it did make me realize just how solid my K5 is. I think if I was tapped on the head with a K5, I'd be out for the count but the K5 would hardly notice. But if I was tapped on the head with a D600, I would hardly notice and the D600 might be out for the count. Anyway, we'll see. I left them a list of my Pentax gear for reviewing a PX but - dunno. The WR solidity and smaller size of a K5 and WR on at least some of the Pentax lenses is not to be sneezed at. To get something really comparable but FF on Nikon would cost an awful lot of money, more than the D600 level I suspect.

09-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #230

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Just gone through my first 100 shots with D600, i like it. FF feels nice, the VF feels very much more nice than before and i couldnt believe a 50mm could feel so nice!!!

Congrats for the new camera!

The price of D600 has already dropped here in Finland to 1899 euros... OMG trying hard to resist..
09-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #231
Inactive Account

Dont resist... its a very nice camera, will be more than enough for me for many years to come
09-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #232
Inactive Account

so... how long does it usually take for third part software to get RAW compatibility? running on jpeg is kinda... boring... in the long run

No.... i refuse to install NX2, dont tell me to do that!

09-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #233
Veteran Member

Same here. I'm waiting for Adobe to update camera raw and keep hitting the update button every day I'm going to Disneyland tomorrow, looking to do a lot of shooting with the 14-24mm f2.8.
09-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #234
Veteran Member

My D600 arrived this evening! It has a very nice build and the buttons are numerous. I thought my K20D had a lot of buttons ! There will definitely be a learning curve to this camera, although many of the features are self explanatory.

There is just so much more "camera" here compared to my K20D.

I'lltry to get a few sample photos and post them here tomorrow.
09-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #235
Veteran Member

Here's just a quick high ISO shot of my dog in a very dimly lit room. I wanted to see how high the usable ISO is so I shot this at 6400 ISO using a 50mm F1.8 G lens at F2.5

This is just a jpeg, I'm sure that the low noise in the raw file will be even better!

09-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
That is more or less my plan. I am going with a D600. But I am keeping my K5, FA35/2, FA50/1.7, and FA77/1.8. I am keeping my 18-135WR, too. I may decide to replace the 35 and 50 with a FA43, but I am not sure.
09-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
That is more or less my plan. I am going with a D600. But I am keeping my K5, FA35/2, FA50/1.7, and FA77/1.8. I am keeping my 18-135WR, too. I may decide to replace the 35 and 50 with a FA43, but I am not sure.
Well, for a while I kept K-5 with FA limited trio, also as a prime only compact travel kit. However very quickly I realised that 31mm is simply not wide enough for APS-C... So I've sold K-5 and hoped for FF, however after this Photokina, I'm on the verge of selling FA limited kit and building prime only compact (if you may use "compact" talking about Nikon) kit around Nikon D600 (20mm + 35mm + 50mm + 85mm).
09-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
I'm leaning towards your plan. The D600 is my next purchase and I'm contemplating keeping a prime Pentax kit with the 18-135 for those bad weather days.

Actually I'm still not quite sold on the Pentax kit. I keep thinking once I have a big full-frame, the Pentax kit doesn't offer any real advantages. The OM-D sounds like a perfect backup for hiking and travel due to its size and weather sealing while offering me excellent IQ. I don't own a K-5 or the 18-135, the cost of which, along with selling my primes could get me a nice OM-D kit. Any suggestions about what to do are welcome. I might even start a thread about it.
09-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #239
Veteran Member

Well, a whole day done with the D600 and 24-70mm walking around Disneyland. My back is sore, my feet hurt, but I had a lot of fun using the D600. I can't put all the blame on the D600 for a sore back, as that occurred even in past trips with the K-5. Anyhow, neither camera can be considered small or stealthy when matched with their respective fast aperture zooms (f2.8). Just a couple samples here, I'm tired now and will post some more later. All are .jpg as I currently don't have the raw converter on my laptop. Full sized versions by clicking on image to get to flickr:

Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture f/3.2
Focal Length 52 mm
ISO Speed 100

Exposure 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 56 mm
ISO Speed 6400

Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 58 mm
ISO Speed 140

Exposure 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 26 mm
ISO Speed 1600

Nothing tests high ISO like Pirates of the Caribbean. ISO didn't register for some reason, but I think it was on Hi 2 which I believe is 25,600.
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 70 mm
09-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, for a while I kept K-5 with FA limited trio, also as a prime only compact travel kit. However very quickly I realised that 31mm is simply not wide enough for APS-C... So I've sold K-5 and hoped for FF, however after this Photokina, I'm on the verge of selling FA limited kit and building prime only compact (if you may use "compact" talking about Nikon) kit around Nikon D600 (20mm + 35mm + 50mm + 85mm).
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
I'm leaning towards your plan. The D600 is my next purchase and I'm contemplating keeping a prime Pentax kit with the 18-135 for those bad weather days.

Actually I'm still not quite sold on the Pentax kit. I keep thinking once I have a big full-frame, the Pentax kit doesn't offer any real advantages. The OM-D sounds like a perfect backup for hiking and travel due to its size and weather sealing while offering me excellent IQ. I don't own a K-5 or the 18-135, the cost of which, along with selling my primes could get me a nice OM-D kit. Any suggestions about what to do are welcome. I might even start a thread about it.
Yeah, my Pentax stuff could go away depending on how comfortable I get with the Nikon kit, but that is a decision for later. I also have my wife's Canon S95 to use, which takes great outdoor pics as long as the subject is not moving too much.