Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say that the dust issue doesn't put me off as i'm well used to my K5 to be clattered in dust spots all the time even though now i'm pretty careful about how i change my lenses. I get it cleaned properly every now and then and i'm well used to spending a good while removing spots in Lightroom in many of my landscape shots. I don't find it a big deal in the slightest although i see a lot of other people don't have the same problem i have with the K5 but again i don't really care that i do have either.

11-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Lot of moaning about the dust issue and AF in the DPReview comments. Any D600 users feel the same about the AF? The comments say that only the center point is useful.
I'll need more time with the camera to asses the dust issue but so far it is really not an issue for me. My other digital cameras have dust spots on them too after use and in the same volume. Maybe my particular copy of the camera is not as problematic. But you know the internet: mountains out of mole hills are made daily.

The AF points are mostly in the middle of the frame in FX mode. It's not ideal and looks like a compromise for DX mode which far as I'm concerned they should of just ignored DX but whatever. Even if the points covered the full frame, I'd still use a single point most of the time. I just prefer to pick and lock focus where I want it instead of auto detect. And for tripod work you can still use live view and move the focus point all over the screen. But for 3D tracking it means you keep the camera pretty centered on the moving subject. So if that is super important to someone, then it is not your ideal action camera.

All that may sound so terrible but the camera is responsive, has fast focus and is reliable which is an order of magnitude better than my older DSLR and mirrorless camera.

Last edited by tuco; 11-14-2012 at 12:11 PM.
11-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #303
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had the D600 for about a month now along with the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 50mm f/1.8. No dust spots yet, although I will carefully check again tonight.

Here are my impressions so far:

In terms of ergonomics, the camera fits well in my hand and isn't that different from my K20D in terms of size and weight. The build is probably one notch below that of the Pentax though. The K20D feels a bit more solid and substantial. The difference is relatively minor.

There are a TON of customizable options and the buttons are generally well laid out. However my biggest gripe is the placement of the ISO button. It's on the lower left which makes it impossible to adjust it on the go. You have to let go of the lens and push the button. My workaround is to assign the Fn button on the front of the camera (which I can reach with my right hand) to open the first option in My Custom Menu. I've set ISO as my first option so now I can adjust ISO without letting go of the lens, although I now have to look at the LCD. It's not perfect but it works. Hopefully Nikon release a firmware update that allows your to further manipulate the buttons. The custom settings are a fantastic idea. For example, my U1 setting is set to landscape mode. (manual, ISO 100, mirror lockup, etc.) No green button though.

The focus area is as small as they say. I haven't found it a hindrance although sometimes I would like to be able to focus further to the left or right. The focusing is fast and accurate though, but remember I'm coming from a K20D.

I don't do video so I can't comment on that although Nikon is supposedly releasing a firmware update that will allow you to adjust aperture while recording.

In terms of IQ what is there to say? Everything you've read is true. It is stunning what can be achieved even at high ISO.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #304
Veteran Member

Gotta say again that I'm 100% happy with my D600. I've had dust but nothing any different than I had with my K5 or K20D/K10D...non-issue for me. As for the AF, I can see how someone who made their living using AF might get a little frustrated with the tight cluster but I'm a landscape shooter so it's not an issue for me.

FWIW, I shot a wedding as a second shooter a couple weeks back with the D600. It performed magnificently!...tons better with it's AF than I could even consider with my K5 or K20D. And the low light performance was fantastic!

Folks, there is no such thing as a perfect camera as we all know so well. The K5 is an awesome camera as were the K10/20. I loved them all. Pentax image quality, great glass, legacy support, etc. has been great, but they have sucked for some time when it comes to AF. Now we are arguing about the fact that a *better* AF system in the D600 someone isn't *better enough*. Quite honestly it kicked my K5's a*s in low light. There is no comparison. And it's super quick and spot on every time....every time...which I can't say for my K5.

As for you landscape shooters, the D600 and D800 are the best out there right now as far as I'm concerned, unless you want to pony up the $10K for the 645D. If you want to go full frame and don't want to wait indefinitely, the D600 is the best buy for my money. I have one and I can testify to it. It feels great in my hands and is NOT a cheap-looking or feeling unit like the Canon 5DM2. It is comparable in feel and quality to a K5...only slightly bigger.

11-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #305
Veteran Member

I dunno bout the dust issue - if it's an actual technical fault I hope they get a fix out even if some people don't mind dust. Isn't it a WR camera as well? If dust can get in...

I guess a lot of the AF moaners are people who were used to the D700s AF or something. I personally use center point all the time on my k-x, and I don't think I'd do any different if I upgrade to a better camera. On the other hand, I do miss a bunch of shots where tracking would have helped, but since I don't have that option, I can't really complain.
11-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #306
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
i'm well used to spending a good while removing spots in Lightroom in many of my landscape shots
Who on Earth would want to waste time doing this?? I've got a more of a life than to spend time taking out dust in post.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
My other digital cameras have dust spots on them too after use and in the same volume. Maybe my particular copy of the camera is not as problematic. But you know the internet: mountains out of mole hills are made daily.
Sorry, dust is a mountain of an issue for me. I've had 2 digital DSLR's over the past 4 years, the K20 and the D700. I have not had to get either one professionally cleaned and never had dust issues with either one. I use prime lenses only, so that could be one reason why. Technology is supposed to advance and make things easier. That'll be the day I ever waste time in software trying to get out dust specks.
11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Nikon Rumors reported there is a gap next to the shutter button, which lets air/dust inside when you press the shutter. If that's the case, all models that have the issue won't go away. They could put a new rubber seal or gasket around the shutter for future releases, so it's probably better to wait for the later batches of the D600 to be safe. Who wants to spend that much on a camera and you have to worry about checking for dust after every shoot? Glad I never got one.
I was just over at DPR reading about this. Who knows how widespread it is, but it is a little worrisome.

I also noticed that a few companies are selling refurb D800s for $2499...very tempting. Cameta has it with a 1 year warranty (I have no relationship to them). I don't have experience with Nikon refurb products, but I have always gotten refurb products from Canon that look pretty much brand new. Anyone have any experience with refurb Nikon?

I'd still like the D600 for the size, weight, and price considerations but I figure I might need to wait a few months for Nikon to sort out these issues....might just go for a refurb D800 at this point...

11-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #308
Pentaxian

I took a picture of the sky at f22. I found 2 dust specs. I'll check again after more use of the camera.
11-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #309
Veteran Member

Who on Earth would want to waste time doing this?? I've got a more of a life than to spend time taking out dust in post.
I have a life too pal but removing the dust particles for a 30 or 40 seconds doesn't hinder on it in any way. The super model parties can wait a minute longer
11-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #310
Veteran Member

That'll be the day I ever waste time in software trying to get out dust specks.
I agree with you. I would not get a D600 at this point until more user experiences are out there which should not take long as it's hugely popular.
11-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #311
Banned

Photos: Albums
Interestingly, today I spotted the D600 at Costco. It was packaged with a 24-85 zoom and a 70-300 one. I was surprised to see a FF package at Costco. A sign of FF going mainstream?

They also had the NX 100. Felt very nice in my hands.
11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Interestingly, today I spotted the D600 at Costco. It was packaged with a 24-85 zoom and a 70-300 one. I was surprised to see a FF package at Costco. A sign of FF going mainstream?

They also had the NX 100. Felt very nice in my hands.
The Costco deal is pretty good for folks looking to get into FX on a "budget." I say that in quotations because $3k is still out of reach for most folks but relatively cheap considering what you're getting.

Heads up for the US folks: $100 rebates today through Nov. 24th on the D600 from the major retailers in the USA. I might go ahead and get it and then return if the dust issue gets really annoying. I'd wait but I might be doing some travel photography after the new year and want some time to get acquainted with the camera and workout the bugs before going.
11-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I agree with you. I would not get a D600 at this point until more user experiences are out there which should not take long as it's hugely popular.
My first D600 developed blobs, oil or dust I don't know, in the top left corner of the rendered picture. The thing is, two were HUGE and visible even wide open. I am not a stickler for having a dust free sensor, typically, but this situation was obviously pretty extreme. This issue aside, the D600 is an awesome camera and suits me much better than a D800, or even a D700.
11-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #314
Veteran Member

The Nikon D600 Has Sensor Dust Issues
A Time-Lapse Showing How Quickly Dust Accumulates on Nikon D600 Sensors

I had a 5D Mk1 for a few months, I sold it back partly because of the dust.
I don't mind a few dust specs from time to time like on my K-r. But with the 5D it was terrible, I had to remove dust specs on almost every shots in PP, even after a fresh clean up, I was just getting mad.
Seems the D600 has the same design flaw... :/
11-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Seems the D600 has the same design flaw.
It seems to have it quite severely. Granted the time lapse guy was using f16-f22, and boosting contrast etc, but his results were pretty bad for just 1000 exposures. After 10000 exposures it would probably start to get really ugly.

Makes the old K-5 sensor stains issue seem trivial.

But I am still puzzled about the combination of gunk showing up on the D600 - it seems to be dust AND oil, suggesting an air leak into the body plus improperly applied lubrication.