Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No in-built focus-assist either (can use "optional speedlite"). Bare-bones is fairly descriptive of this model.

09-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't think the 6D will be hard for Pentax to compete against, based on their past performance. The 6d's specification isn't a difficult starting point - the Nikon D600 clearly outguns it in that regard, so that's the entry-level benchmark.
I agree, the D600 is going to kill the 6D in sales and is #2 on Amazon behind the Panasonic Lumix ZS20 that I have.
Amazon Best Sellers: best Digital Cameras
09-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Oh wow, you're right. Hmm!
Who cares about built in flash at this level. Honestly, can anyone here say that they would truly EVER use a built in flash on a FF camera?
You can get a Yonguno YN-460 for $38 - that is, I dunno, 462 times as good as a built in flash, or the YN-560 for $55 that is about 513 times as good - but I suppose if you've just spent $2000 on a camera with no lens, $55 is steep for something that will only improve your shots A LOT.

I don't mean to sound like I know how EVERYONE takes photos, but you seriously shouldn't be using built in flash on a camera like this... It's not for taking red-eye happy snaps!
09-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Canon EOS 6D key specifications

• 20.2MP full frame CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC 5+ image processor
  • ISO 100-25600 standard, 50-102800 expanded
  • 4.5 fps continuous shooting
  • 'Silent' shutter mode
  • 1080p30 video recording, stereo sound via external mic
  • 11 point AF system, center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV
Ah, was the Pentax R&D team really working for everyone else too? Come on....

09-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Only their center point is -3EV capable, though. Isn't the K-5 II capable on every one of the 11 points?
09-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Only their center point is -3EV capable, though. Isn't the K-5 II capable on every one of the 11 points?
I have yet to find it on the Pentax press release that all of those 11 sensors are -3EV capable... it was only described as "SAFOX X sensor"
09-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The 6D is exactly what I hope Pentax does NOT make, i.e. a crap body FF for FF's sake. A FF should at least match the capabilities of its APS-C contemporaries (besides burst rate). This thing doesn't even come close. Besides the FF sensor, it is significantly worse than the 3 year old 7D in every single important spec (except video). It's even worse than the 60D in several areas!

This reeks of laziness, cost cutting and desperation to have something to counter the D600. And they failed in that regard: the D600 stomps all over this in virtually every area.

09-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Meh moment for Canon shooters. I'd be tempted if it were a bit smaller, but otherwise, I agree, it's kind of a warmed over 5DII with GPS and Wifi, and probably a bit less in build quality. I see no reason to part with my 5DII at this point....

Canon still makes fine imaging machines, but they're certainly getting trounced lately by Nikon.

Shouldn't be too hard for Pentax to beat.
09-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Funny how different people see different things....

QuoteQuote:
The 6D doesn't, however, offer the latest goodies Canon introduced on the EOS 650D. There's no on-chip phase-detection to aid autofocus in live view or movie mode,
I don't care to use either live view or movie mode.

QuoteQuote:
nor does Canon's superb touchscreen interface make an appearance. As usual at this level the screen itself is fixed, rather than articulated as with the 60D the camera is modeled on
I don't want either touchscreen or an articulated screen.

QuoteQuote:
- Canon says this is for maximum durability and minimum size. So if you really want a full frame camera with an swiveling screen, the Sony A99 is your only option.
I like maximum durabilty.

QuoteQuote:
The GPS unit includes exactly the same functionality as on the company's compacts - it can embed location data into every image, and has a logging function that can keep track of where you've been through the day. This, we suspect, will be most-popular with landscape and travel photographers.
There's me, the landscaape travel photographer... this stuff sounds fantastic, especially the part where you can turn you iPhone into a remote control and adjust exposure etc. from your iPhone, now that's simply awesome in my book. Could be just out of this world for wildlife shots. My camera doesn't scare wildlife... but I do.

QuoteQuote:
20.2MP full frame CMOS sensor
If the IQ is good this is more what I wanted than the 24 Mp of the D600. I know the MP enthusiasts are always doing the bigger is better. Personally I think 20 Mp is a really nice size. Also a nice size is the 750 grams. 80 grams more than a K-5

It's probably just me, but this looks to me like a good solid entry into FF. Does anyone know if there's an adapter that would let me use my K-mount lenses on it, because that would just be the icing on the cake.
09-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The official specification page:
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 6D

What a junker compared to the D600...

1/4000th max
97% viewfinder
bad auto-focus
1/180th flash sync
09-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

A deliberately crippled camera, no innovation and poop compared to the D600.
09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
1/4000th max
97% viewfinder
bad auto-focus
1/180th flash sync
These "entry level FFs" were made for some reasons: fanboys who can't afford their $3,000 flagship FFs, those who want to be called "FF pros" while maintaining a lower budget, and upgraders from their non-pro APS-C user base, mostly.
They were deliberately crippled of course, so as not to cannibalize sales of their flagships, and save on costs. The "consumerization" of full-frame of course starts with things like this, and progress in time. The features from their flagships will trickle down to the entry-level, until at one point, the high-end has to leapfrog itself or else they'll start getting too close for financial comfort.

Pentax on the other hand, has this... humongous gap between APS-C and medium format- two stuff that may never reach each other's level even as time and technology progresses. I think 1 135-format digital flagship is enough for Pentax to fill in that gap; not just because that's the most the company can handle right now, but also because it can put each line on a safe level. That way, each line (K-series APS-C, K-series FF, 645, Q) can progress alongside each other as all their technologies progress.
09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
The official specification page:
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 6D

1/4000th max
97% viewfinder
bad auto-focus
1/180th flash sync
I'd buy one if the price was right.

But that would be $1500 and not $2099.

I can forgo all bells and whistles so long as the price is commensurate with what is offered.
Can't say I see it now for the 6D, but in 2yrs time, perhaps it will be at the sweet spot in pricing.
09-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I don't think the 6D will be hard for Pentax to compete against
Pentax could beat it on all but AF probably.
09-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
These "entry level FFs" were made for some reasons: fanboys who can't afford their $3,000 flagship FFs, those who want to be called "FF pros" while maintaining a lower budget, and upgraders from their non-pro APS-C user base, mostly.
They were deliberately crippled of course, so as not to cannibalize sales of their flagships, and save on costs. The "consumerization" of full-frame of course starts with things like this, and progress in time. The features from their flagships will trickle down to the entry-level, until at one point, the high-end has to leapfrog itself or else they'll start getting too close for financial comfort.

Pentax on the other hand, has this... humongous gap between APS-C and medium format- two stuff that may never reach each other's level even as time and technology progresses. I think 1 135-format digital flagship is enough for Pentax to fill in that gap; not just because that's the most the company can handle right now, but also because it can put each line on a safe level. That way, each line (K-series APS-C, K-series FF, 645, Q) can progress alongside each other as all their technologies progress.
I have to disagree with you a little. What if you know your shooting style and just don't see the need to spend top dollar for a flagship camera?

IMO Canon would have had a homerun with the 6D if they had priced it at $1499...going head to head w/Nikon was a mistake.