Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
I hope they have a deal with Sony to use the PDAF.
All this "PDAF" desire … it's kind of ridiculous.
It's just like the people of XIX century wanted faster horses. On sensor PDAF is likely not able to resolve low light focusing problem

Back to the topic: seems like this is the Distagon 12/2.8.
Well, I'm not impressed at all. It's direct Super Elmar 18/3.8 or Distagon 18/4 ZM equivalent for APS-C. You see it's larger than both. The worst thing actually is these lenses are designing for both Fuji/NEX in mind. This means the design is limited by silly fuji and NEX-7 sensors with their smearing and color shifting problems. It's dully to solve PURE SENSOR PROBLEM via the lens.
Leica seems to understand this and they found the good way with their new CMOSIS made sensor. And It's highly unlikely Sony is able even to realize the sensor problems should be solved at the sensor level, not to mention they are able to produce proper one (sensor electronics is one thing, Sony is good there but the precise super thin color filters, special microlenses are another, and it seems Sony cannot do that).

09-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
That, and they are probably also trying to keep the prices down to make them more affordable. Wide angle FF primes are expensive, for example Zeiss Distagon 15mm f2.8 is around US$4600.
Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 ZM Lens - Black 1457-856 B&H Photo Video
And size too...to cover a FF sensor, the lenses would certainly have to be bigger.

Jason
09-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
. This means the design is limited by silly fuji and NEX-7 sensors with their smearing and color shifting problems. It's dully to solve PURE SENSOR PROBLEM via the lens.
Leica seems to understand this and they found the good way with their new CMOSIS made sensor. And It's highly unlikely Sony is able even to realize the sensor problems should be solved at the sensor level, not to mention they are able to produce proper one (sensor electronics is one thing, Sony is good there but the precise super thin color filters, special microlenses are another, and it seems Sony cannot do that).
I am sure it woud work just fine on the NEX 5N/R and 6?

Jason
09-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
Veteran Member

This means the design is limited by silly fuji and NEX-7 sensors with their smearing and color shifting problems. It's dully to solve PURE SENSOR PROBLEM via the lens.
What are you talking about "smearing and color shifting"? Do you own a NEX-7 and can provide examples of this? Or are you refer to the use of legacy glass not designed for digital on the NEX-7 which exhibits magenta corners?

09-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #20
Banned

With the new NEX-VG900 you could use any E mount or A mount lens in either APS-C mode or FF mode . With low cost adapters you could use any APS-C or FF lens out there. It could also use the new Zeiss E mount Cine lenses in APS-C or FF mode.

Last edited by jogiba; 09-20-2012 at 05:25 AM.
09-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Banned

All this "PDAF" desire … it's kind of ridiculous.
It's just like the people of XIX century wanted faster horses. On sensor PDAF is likely not able to resolve low light focusing problem

Back to the topic: seems like this is the Distagon 12/2.8.
Well, I'm not impressed at all. It's direct Super Elmar 18/3.8 or Distagon 18/4 ZM equivalent for APS-C. You see it's larger than both. The worst thing actually is these lenses are designing for both Fuji/NEX in mind. This means the design is limited by silly fuji and NEX-7 sensors with their smearing and color shifting problems. It's dully to solve PURE SENSOR PROBLEM via the lens.
If the new system offers faster AF, that's all I care about. Whether CD or PD (it appears that people are forgetting that there is some sort of hyrbidization), I don't care, so long as it works even better.

Don't know what any of the other stuff you're saying means.
09-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I am sure it woud work just fine on the NEX 5N/R and 6?
You think 5N/R or 6 work great with old glass? They are far from perfect.
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
What are you talking about "smearing and color shifting"? Do you own a NEX-7 and can provide examples of this? Or are you refer to the use of legacy glass not designed for digital on the NEX-7 which exhibits magenta corners?
Have you ever tried to think? If sensor won't have these smearing and color shift problems, the Sony 16/2.8 pancake could be a stellar lens. So, instead of improving sensor tech and then creating cheap, simple but of high optical quality lenses they decided to make cheap bodies with crap lenses? OK, then I won't buy anything from them: I don't need crap lenses neither crap bodies (these are all m43, all nexes, all samsungs, all fujies — all mirrorless). They didn't utilize EVFs properly. How can select certain focus point quick? How can I magnify an area I want to have a good look quick? Touchscreen solves it (oh, well, most mirrorless don't have touchscreen), but with EVF? I want to utilize new great possibilities given by EVFs, this must be simple.

09-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You think 5N/R or 6 work great with old glass? They are far from perfect.
I didn't say they were "perfect". Show me a body which is "perfect". At least anywhere near the price of the 5N.

Jason
09-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
At least anywhere near the price of the 5N.
For example ricoh gxr with M-mount module
09-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm pretty happy with my 5N and F3 on the SEL1628 with the fish eye and ultra wide converters - refer to my recent photos in the NEX thread. Maybe my eyes are so bad I can't detect the issues anymore.

Also never had any issues with wide angle M mount - on my CV 15mm or on a range of Leica wide angles I tried at a shop.

Based on that I am pretty happy to buy the NEX-6.

But I am really hoping Sony will release the FF NEX soon, because that is what I want. If it's no good, I will then probably buy the M.
09-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For example ricoh gxr with M-mount module
Is spending around $1000 for the GXR and M mount module to get roughly or the same results as a 5N at half that price is wise? To each his own, I suppose.

Jason
09-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Have you ever tried to think? If sensor won't have these smearing and color shift problems, the Sony 16/2.8 pancake could be a stellar lens. So, instead of improving sensor tech and then creating cheap, simple but of high optical quality lenses they decided to make cheap bodies with crap lenses? OK, then I won't buy anything from them: I don't need crap lenses neither crap bodies (these are all m43, all nexes, all samsungs, all fujies — all mirrorless). They didn't utilize EVFs properly. How can select certain focus point quick? How can I magnify an area I want to have a good look quick? Touchscreen solves it (oh, well, most mirrorless don't have touchscreen), but with EVF? I want to utilize new great possibilities given by EVFs, this must be simple.
Nope, the Sony 16mm f/2.8 is just a rubbish lens.

The Sigma EX 19mm f/2.8 and Sigma EX 35mm f/2.8 are very good indeed on the NEX-7 and very inexpensive as well. I would expect Sony equivalents to follow soon.