Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #1

Fujifilm X-E1 or Pentax K-5/K-5II

I'm thinking about updating my K-X to either a X-E1 or a K5II (or get a good deal on a "old" K-5)..
I do like the form and features of the X-E1 since I don't want to carry a big heavy DSLR with me at all times. The picture quality looks great but the af worries me (unless it is very updated from the x-pro1).

Since I have a 18-250 and 35 2.4 and a Af360, the upgrade to a K5/K5II would be easy and logical. The WR is a big positive but it is a tad more expensive than the X-E1 and bigger..

I mostly take "tourist pictures", street photography and landscapes.

Please Pentaxforum, help me make up my mind

09-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If weathersealing, size, IQ and AF speed matter, and you're looking at possibly changing systems anyway, I'd look seriously at the Olympus OMD.
09-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snajder Quote
I'm thinking about updating my K-X to either a X-E1 or a K5II (or get a good deal on a "old" K-5)..
I do like the form and features of the X-E1 since I don't want to carry a big heavy DSLR with me at all times. The picture quality looks great but the af worries me (unless it is very updated from the x-pro1).

Since I have a 18-250 and 35 2.4 and a Af360, the upgrade to a K5/K5II would be easy and logical. The WR is a big positive but it is a tad more expensive than the X-E1 and bigger..

Please Pentaxforum, help me make up my mind
I haven't used the Fuji X-E1 yet but I'm thinking seriously of adding it to my Pentax stuff for a smaller travel camera like you mention. I have been looking to add one since my Ricoh GXR bit the dust. Also because, full frame be damned, the only thing I really want anymore is a fast wide and Fuji is said to be coming out with a wide aperture 24 mm equivalent prime next year, when I'm guessing Pentax will not be.

But anyway.

Regarding nickthetasmaniac's comment, I recently rented an Olympus OMD EM5 and I can second the reviews that it is a great camera. It is also, however, a very different experience from using an SLR and it's hard to get that impression unless you try it out. For example, there is some lag after shooting on the EM5 due to the EVF, and the body, although certainly well built, does not beat the ergonomics of the K-5, my current favorite camera for ergonomics ever so far.

So the Olympus showed me that it's not really a sport or action shooter friendly camera per se (Pentax is obviously not the greatest in the department, but still better). Also I believe the K-5 is an all around better camera for more uses than the EM5 despite the Olympus' advantages in size and AF speed and other things.

But I'm blathering about the EM5, why? Because for what it can do, even with some of the things I didn't like about it, I still fell in love with the little thing and would like to add it or something like it (the Fuji) to my arsenal. And from what you say you like to shoot I think you would like either the EM5 like nickthetasmaniac said or the Fuji, with the EM5 being the likely more refined camera (seriously, the AF is great) and lens system and the Fuji having more potential (in my opinion) due to that wonderful Fuji sensor and a good start with some nice primes.

My only question to you is are you ready to give up the instantaneous responsiveness of an SLR camera with an optical viewfinder and no lag in exchange for form factor and faster autofocus? If the answer to that is yes I think the Fuji or Olympus is probably the camera for you. If. on the other hand, the answer is in favor of the SLR, I say pick up the K-30 and wait for Pentax to come up with something better than the K-5ii, which for a shooter of your described uses, likely would not see a huge benefit from over the K-x. Not a big enough benefit to eclipse the already very, very good K-30 anyway. The K-30, incidentally, also would be cheaper than either the Fuji or the Olympus.
09-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
XE-1 is interesting. Small, good EVF, claimed good AF, rather small fast lenses.
If I start from '0' today, I'd get one.

The few reasons not to like it :
1. EVF -some just hate EVF's
2. AF speed and EVF lag - reported to be improved over original X100 and XP1, but still slower than new m4/3's; I'd wait for more reviews before deciding.
3. Will Fuji drop the whole system like they did the 'S' series DSLRs? (though it was no big deal since they used Nikon lenses)
4. Long lenses - none atm

09-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd go for either a NEX-6 with the new compact zoom (if size is a high priority), or a K-30.

Both will allow use of your existing glass.

I still love my K-x and K-30, but what's getting the most use from me at the moment? The RX100 (in B/W 1:1). It's my pocket MF

(Actually it's my wife's, and she's being very patient lending it to me all the time!)
09-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I'd go for either a NEX-6 with the new compact zoom (if size is a high priority), or a K-30.

Both will allow use of your existing glass.
As will the Fuji.

Any camera will work well. The biggest question to ask is what matters more; body style/controls, video, weather sealing, AF speed, sensor resolution, or noise performance?

I went with the XPro because my priorities were the control layout (I shot with film SLRs for a while, so 'aperture on the lens/shutter on a top turret' is meat and potatoes to me) and high ISO performance. AF speed wasn't really a factor, because honestly for all the noise/heat the Fuji's v1.0 AF was comparable to a K10d which I was fine with, plus that I'm using MF glass most of the time. The newest firmware, which is what you'd get on an XE is substantially better with the original lenses, and probably better still with the mo'betta motors in the new lenses. Don't shoot video, so that wasn't a factor. Plus Fuji's lens roadmap absolutely matches my priorities; lots of faster smaller primes right up front. I thought about the OM-D, but for all the good things about it, it still has a smaller sensor and would have given me yet another lens conversion factor. The NEX7 was my original choice but the lack of native fast Sony glass killed it; that's changing now, but still a work in progress. The K5II would be immediately accessible in terms of current functions/methodology, but is an entirely different class of camera.
09-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Do you like editing RAW files?

If so, RAW files from the XE1, like the XP1, are still problematic if your work flow does not include Silkypix or an obscure RPP (Raw Photo Processor) editor.

Last edited by tuco; 09-19-2012 at 04:07 PM.
09-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #8

I had a K-5 and I have a Fuji x100. I’ve also used OMD for about a week. I recently sold k-5 with a plan to move to Fuji x-e1 or x pro 1. As I’ve mentioned already I have x100 and love the files I get out of it, yes the autofocus is a bit sluggish, but I didn’t find it terrible. The OMD is smal land cute, but I was not comfortable with-it, way too small, the grip is a must in my opinion, also I did not much liked the files I was getting from it, the colours were kind of blah… I was hoping for OMD to be at least comparable to my x100 or may be the K-5 but it is not as good in color reproduction or low light as the K-5 or Fuji.

IMHO you should seriously consider one of the two Fuji cams or k-30 if you want an SLR.
09-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Do you like editing RAW files?

If so, RAW files from the XE1, like the XP1, are still problematic if your work flow does not include Silkypix or an obscure RPP (Raw Photo Processor) editor.
Lightroom 4.1 supports Fuji X-Pro1
09-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vrubel Quote
Lightroom 4.1 supports Fuji X-Pro1
You don't need to shout with that LARGE font.

You are talking to a XP1 owner. Lightroom still has problems with color bleeding in some shots. I will post one when I get off work if you want to see for yourself.

Last edited by tuco; 09-19-2012 at 04:20 PM.
09-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You don't need to shout with that LARGE font.

You are talking to a XP1 owner. Lightroom still has problems with color bleeding in some shots. I will post one when I get off work if your like.
I wasn't shouting, this is just my default font. I always assumed that"shouting" is UPERCASE letters.
10-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Im set to purchase the Fuji X E1 myself in a few months time. The little EM5 was also certainly on my shortlist too though. I have used Olympus four thirds before. I much prefer the four thirds shape negs as opposed to the elongated APSC and FF. It comes into its own too when after lots of DOF. Its superb of course if you use a lot of long lenses too. The other benafit of four thirds is while the high ISO may not be upto par with bigger sensors it equals itself out because you can shoot at larger apratures in the first place. Its only slight shortfall is that its not so easy to obtain very shallow DOF because of the great DOF generated. Ive used four thirds, APSC, FF and MF all to great extenct. My end conclusion is that APSC is the perfect compromize for all around ability. Its simple to get lots of DOF and just as easy to get shallow DOF. I find FF to be my least favourite of the three main formats because more often than not, I need more DOF rather than less. Its always best to simply look and think about the kind of pics you take. If you are always after and need more DOF four thirds rules, If on the other hand you are always looking for shallow DOF then FF can not be beaten. If like me and need the middle ground then APSC is best.
10-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The X E-1 should be good for you with a lens adapter of your favourite lens brand...if you don't mind focusing manually?

or just get the 3 lenses from Fujifilm

BUT if you think you'll need more for say sports, the K5s are a better choice unless you're like most of us here and just "want" multiple systems

BUT seriously if you just take mostly 'tourist" photos...how about a good P&S?
10-05-2012, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I love the output of what I've seen from the X-Pro 1. If the X-E1 is exactly like it in terms of image quality, I'm very tempted to make it my new travel cam. The bundled kit lens (18-55mm f2.8-4) makes a great all around lens which I think would be perfect for street shooting and travel. Slow AF I can deal with, but I'd like to see exactly how slow and how well the evf performs. So now, it's just a matter of waiting for the reviews...
10-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

What don't you like about the K-x? How are you not considering the K-30?

You aren't going to get a big performance boost from a better sensor. In the great majority of images, you'll see no difference. The main difference between a K-x and a K-30 or K-5 is in the controls. If you're after better controls and weather resistance, a body upgrade to a new Pentax will do it. I value WR and two wheels very highly, so I understand an upgrade to a higher spec Pentax for that reason.

Ditching what you have now for mirrorless may make sense if body size is that critical to you, so long as the compromises in the MILC system are acceptable. Not for me, I'm still convinced that APS-C DSLR is the best all-round choice. No matter which camera system you carry, you'll still need a camera bag. Whether the body in the bag is a bit smaller seems a little trivial. Changing systems is an expensive proposition, not something you want to do more than once.

Clicker suggested a p&s. That may make sense if you're after small. Get a Sony RX100 or Fuji X10 for true portability, and keep your Pentax system for when quality or flexibility are more important.