Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Maybe the GXR line is at the end of its life cycle. I always thought the modular design was good for R&D purposes because you can upgrade modules and develop new technology rapidly. Maybe with the acquisition of Pentax that R&D is not long necessary.

I think the next EVIL project will be a joint development. Pentax ergonomics (not K-01), interface, image processing and Ricoh's CDAF and AF lens technology.

Ricoh produced K-mount film cameras back in the day, so the mount is not an issue. I think it is the integration of technology.
Ricoh also killed the K-mount back in the day when they tried their hands at autofocus. Same thing happened when Chinon went AF.

09-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Maybe the GXR line is at the end of its life cycle. I always thought the modular design was good for R&D purposes because you can upgrade modules and develop new technology rapidly. Maybe with the acquisition of Pentax that R&D is not long necessary.

I think the next EVIL project will be a joint development. Pentax ergonomics (not K-01), interface, image processing and Ricoh's CDAF and AF lens technology.

Ricoh produced K-mount film cameras back in the day, so the mount is not an issue. I think it is the integration of technology.
That's kinda precisely my point. The original GXR concept was pretty whimsical, but once you start talking about detachable lenses it makes a lot more sense. You should be able to turn around GXR module development fairly quickly. The bus between the chassis and the sensor module abstracts a lot of the communication and control programming. Assuming that the chassis houses most of the high level processing, get the LMU to talk to your chosen imaging sensor and interpret control commands from the chassis into the lens mount's command set and you're done... I'm sure it's slightly more complicated than that , but if you're willing to throw money and engineers at it, not by much. And they released a firmware update in June, so that unit hasn't been completely shut down

And it seems like a slam dunk from a product development POV. It turns the camera business back to their old paradigm of a high quality body bought occasionally, with periodic lens and imaging media updates. Only instead of paying Kodak/Fuji for some new film emulsion, I'm buying a new sensor module directly from Ricoh every couple of years. And for K mount customers, $500 bucks every couple of years to update to the latest sensor on the body they're used to severely undercuts the costs of switching to another brand for some new whiz-bang feature. And it lets you develop a FF option TOMORROW for those that want it, without having to build an entirely new camera. Even if you sell it at cost, or as a loss leader, it shuts up (some of) that bit of noise from the Pentax community.

Any way, Fuji FF thread... sorry for the interruption.
09-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #33
Pentaxian

+1, there are a lot of opportunity with the GXR K-mount. There are some hardcore GXR following, and they are K-mount user from Pentax. Instead of continuing the K-01 line (looks like this is a one time product from interviews at Photokina), a GXR K-mount is a more interesting offering. Hope they update the GXR body as well.
09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #34
Veteran Member

It will be interesting to see what Fuji does. To me, full frame from Fuji at this point doesn't make a lot of sense, as it would undercut what they're trying to do with their XF system, which they still have a lot to work to do on to make a full attractive system. I could see a full frame Fuji X200, though, like what Sony did with the RX1.