Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #1

Nikon D7000 problems

I am considering whether to invest into Pentax system or to invest into Nikon system, which in first step means to buy either K-5 or Nikon D7000. I know what were in the past the problems with K-5 and I know which one were corrected. I also know that D7000 had its own issues. Beyond hot pixel issues I do not really know which the rest problems were. Could somebody give me a short list of the problems and if they were corrected or not.

I am sure that somebody will ask why I do not ask this on some Nikon forum, but from the post I read on this forum I believe that I can get a pretty much unbiased answers from members of the Pentax forum.

09-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't help on the nikon, but the majority of the early k5 issues have been dealt with, and with the release of the k5II/IIs it looks like the remainder of the main issues are gone (aside from perhaps flash)
Nikon has not announced an updated D7000 so in all likliehood the new Pentax will be the better camera all round IMO
09-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've heard reports that the D7000's AF isn't as good as what people expect from Nikon. It might be a bit better than the k-5, but it's not mindblowing.
09-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Many D7000's suffered from back focus issues in addition to the hot pixels in the early production runs. Also, there was a recall issued on select serial number range for the battery used by the D7000 due to over-heating.

09-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Both good dslr's - my D7000 has worked tirelessly and has never let me down in any of the departments it needs to excel in.
09-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would say it depends what you use the camera for mostly. If it is mostly outdoor work etc I would pick the K5. If you use a lot of flash and mostly indoor work I would choose the Nikon. The K5 2 is now here though. There will be improvements for sure. The k5 has very large focus sensors which can be probmatic for those that enjoy very fast lenses as it makes critical focus very difficult. The flash exposure is also inacurate unless you use preflash. The K5 has a really nice feel and build that makes it a delight to own though. Its sensor is simply superb too. I believe that most of these things will have been put right in the mark two K5. If that is the case then it would be in almost a different league to the D7000. I doubt the focus sensor size has been dealt with as yet. we are waiting to see. The K5 2 will undoubtly be far better than the D7000 in my opinion. If they have dealt with everything including the dinnerplate sized sensors then it will be simply the best APSC camera money can buy today. Thats just my personal opinion of course.
09-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Are you planning on buying a new camera or a used camera? Also, there is now a K-5ii announced, which has a new AF module (supposedly has better low light performance and no tungsten issues), but is otherwise the same camera as the K-5.
I would suggest you get the Pentax just because the Pentax community isn't as toxic Well, with the exception of a few topics haha

09-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are you planning on buying a new camera or a used camera?
I am planning to buy used body, so K5II is not really camera that I would consider. I do agree that K5 is in general better camera than D7000, I mean the fact that K5 is top of the line of Pentax dslr speaks for itself that is not crippled in any way. However (there is always however), body is not really the most important thing. The fact is that you have to choose the system and not just the body. I always buy used items, which I can test personally. And as you might know the Pentax used items market is almost non-existent in Slovenia. This is one of the more important factors, although not the only one. Third-party support is also important factor; Tokina makes very good lenses, but does not support K-mount. I do not want to start the battle of the systems, but the fact that

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Pentax community isn't as toxic
is why I asked on this forum. Pentax community is indeed very, I’ll put it this way, humane.
09-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It indeed is a great forum.

Think though why the "non-pentax camera" section was started.

It's ex Pentax users (some of many years) who crossed over to another platform - they/I obviously had reasons for doing so even though we could all easily afforded the K5 (some did buy it)

I find it incredible that after extensive international travel covering climbing comps and also visiting many places I have yet to see a K5 (or any Pentax) hanging around someones neck.

Yet I see quite a few Sony Alpha's being used now and this is a much younger brand than Pentax.

I actually don't know how Pentax Camera Division actually survives financially considering their zero presence in the market place.
09-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I.. think we live in the same country. You are right about the local second hand market here, but there is ebay (the UK and DE version). I think when it comes to old lenses, Pentax probably has a bigger selection. With Nikon its a whole science to figure out which lens will work on your body and whether it will focus, etc.