Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Panasonic: Full Frame 4/3 a Possibility

New Panasonic GH3 test and new interview. Panasonic thinking FF? | 43 Rumors

From Google Translate:
Because there is an area of ​​four times the sensor for Micro Four Thirds, certainly. However, the sensor full-size stamp "Leica, there is the APS-C size differ by various come out in terms of a characteristic I think when compared to the sensor, when you think about the balance of the entire system, potential to compete in image quality as a system camera, and there was in the past. However, regardless of the potential is also there, it I have been pushed to the level of "possibilities." Here we have to settle, is the point in our reflection. many constraints "that the constraints exist" "

Fuji may be looking at it, but X-mount wont support it.
Sony is probably working on it right now. The RX1 is the first step.
Panasonic says the concept has become a possibility. They have the resources and their own sensor fabrication.

FF EVIL is going to be a big market. FF bodies what will be the size of a Fuji X-E1. Personally I hope Panasonic brings a 4:3 aspect ratio FF body to the market.

09-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Banned

Just do what the GH2 does with the sensor.
09-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like the multi-aspect ratio idea, but add portrait orientation as well so you don't have to use a grip.
09-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
FF EVIL is going to be a big market. FF bodies what will be the size of a Fuji X-E1. Personally I hope Panasonic brings a 4:3 aspect ratio FF body to the market.
I dearly hope that Panasonic promptly forgets that they ever even considered this (although from what I've read I don't think they really are anyway...).

Right now Panasonic has the 7-14/f4, 12-35/f2.8, 35-100/f2.8 and 25/f1.4 in their portfolio of Serious Lenses. They've just released the GH3, arguably their first Serious Body. They've just announced that they're developing a 42.5/f1.2 and 150/f2.8, further adding to the Serious Lenses list.

This is all Micro Four Thirds gear and I'd argue that in terms of performance and price, it's gear that people are only going to buy if it's their primary system, something very different to a full-frame shooter having a GX1 and 20/f1.7 as a compact backup. To me, Panasonic's releases and announcements over the last 18 months indicate that they consider Micro Four Thirds to be a serious system - the best balance point of size and performance. For my use, I agree. That's why I'm a Micro Four Thirds user.

Saying that they may consider a full-frame system in the future (a system that none of the gear I've mentioned above would have a part in) just says to me that 'we're not really committed to Micro Four Thirds'. After all, why would I spend $1000+ per lens in a system that the manufacturer doesn't even consider to be top-of-the-line...

If I want full-frame, I'll get it. I want Micro Four Thirds because I want Micro Four Thirds.

09-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I dearly hope that Panasonic promptly forgets that they ever even considered this (although from what I've read I don't think they really are anyway...).

Right now Panasonic has the 7-14/f4, 12-35/f2.8, 35-100/f2.8 and 25/f1.4 in their portfolio of Serious Lenses. They've just released the GH3, arguably their first Serious Body. They've just announced that they're developing a 42.5/f1.2 and 150/f2.8, further adding to the Serious Lenses list.

This is all Micro Four Thirds gear and I'd argue that in terms of performance and price, it's gear that people are only going to buy if it's their primary system, something very different to a full-frame shooter having a GX1 and 20/f1.7 as a compact backup. To me, Panasonic's releases and announcements over the last 18 months indicate that they consider Micro Four Thirds to be a serious system - the best balance point of size and performance. For my use, I agree. That's why I'm a Micro Four Thirds user.

Saying that they may consider a full-frame system in the future (a system that none of the gear I've mentioned above would have a part in) just says to me that 'we're not really committed to Micro Four Thirds'. After all, why would I spend $1000+ per lens in a system that the manufacturer doesn't even consider to be top-of-the-line...

If I want full-frame, I'll get it. I want Micro Four Thirds because I want Micro Four Thirds.
I don't think the addition of the FF means that M4/3 is not a serious system. For years Pentax had 4 different lens mounts and formats two of those being medium format. It is simply about matching the right system to the right work. For Panasonic M4/3 and FF could be complementary systems. I don't think we will see a FF system from Panasonic. But it is interesting that they will openly mention it while Pentax ducks the question. Panasonic is focused on HD video and right now FF is the hot sensor with both Canon and Sony grabbing the market. The Panasonic GH series is an excellent camera, but right now M4/3 HD video is a niche in the bigger industry. With cameras like the 1Dc 4K that market is moving to bigger sensors. The number of cine lenses that have been released recently is pretty impressive. It is 2 completely different markets and Panasonic being in both of them is no different than Canon being in both of them.
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't buy the argument that Panasonic needs to go to a larger sensor to support video. The AG-AF100 does 1080/60P and everything down from there. That takes care of 99% of videographers' needs. It's already beyond the capabilities of Blu-Ray, for example. And what sensor does the AG-AF100 use? Micro-Four Thirds. People aren't exactly complaining about the image quality!

For those that "need" more, there are video cameras that cost $50K and $500K. But that's another market entirely, and not one that has much relevance to this discussion.

Full-frame is more important to still photography. But let's face it, if you need FF you are already shooting with FF. No-one who needs it is sitting on their hands until a camera with the name "Panasonic" is released.
02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
I don't know what Panasonic was considering there, but they seem to have an interesting new sensor technology:

Panasonic Develops Technology for Highly Sensitive Image Sensors Using Micro Color Splitters | Headquarters News | Panasonic Global

02-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I don't know what Panasonic was considering there, but they seem to have an interesting new sensor technology:

Panasonic Develops Technology for Highly Sensitive Image Sensors Using Micro Color Splitters | Headquarters News | Panasonic Global
I hope we see the new technology in real products soon. If it is true then M4/3 could exceed APS-C for high ISO performance, and if Panasonic did chose to move to a larger format the technology would give them a nice advantage over traditional sensors. Personally I think M4/3 and a larger 4/3 sensor make perfect sense for the company. The two lines could complement each other rather well and a large 4/3 EVIL would be a welcome addition to the market.