Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

Help: Yashica TL Electro X

So, I've recently bought Yashica TL Electro X 35mm camera. From the looks of it, it's in excellent cosmetic condition. Can't wait to shoot with it.

Although, i need help with battery. Can anybody recommend the battery for it?

10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Online camera manual says Eveready 544 or Mallory PX-28 will work. No idea if those are current stock items, but Batteries+ or any battery shop should be able to hook you up.

The TL-Electro-X was my first SLR. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of it.
10-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is a great camera - though my second black its version is mint on the outside, but the meter is inoperative. Apart from the servicability angle, the TL Electro-X is a great favorite of mine.

yashica guy sells a great little adapter - it will work on the Electro 35 GSN as well.
Yashica Battery Adapter
10-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, you guys were lucky. You had the "X". I just had a plain TL Electro. Made a great first camera. Used it until the meter died. It's M42 mount was what got me into Pentax.

10-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Online camera manual says Eveready 544 or Mallory PX-28 will work. No idea if those are current stock items, but Batteries+ or any battery shop should be able to hook you up.

The TL-Electro-X was my first SLR. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of it.
Found that manual on butkus.org, and followed the instructions determining which battery my camera would accept. Apparently thee were two variations: one accepting PX28 and the other two stacked 544s. I got lucky, tried AA battery trick to find out that my camera accepts PX28, found it yesterday at local Radio Shack and voila, it lives again. Meter seems to be working fine, the arrows for over and under exposure light up. Can't wait to take it out on a shoot (it's foggy out today),,,

BTW, i had a choice either getting Electro X, or spotmatics with dead meters or mamya/sekor dtl500 or praktika, but i got yashica mostly because of it's size (feels just right) and cosmetic look.
10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by L&D Quote
Found that manual on butkus.org, and followed the instructions determining which battery my camera would accept. Apparently thee were two variations: one accepting PX28 and the other two stacked 544s. I got lucky, tried AA battery trick to find out that my camera accepts PX28, found it yesterday at local Radio Shack and voila, it lives again. Meter seems to be working fine, the arrows for over and under exposure light up. Can't wait to take it out on a shoot (it's foggy out today),,,

BTW, i had a choice either getting Electro X, or spotmatics with dead meters or mamya/sekor dtl500 or praktika, but i got yashica mostly because of it's size (feels just right) and cosmetic look.
Ah man, I apologize, I meant to link the manual and forgot. Chalk it up to a senior moment. Glad you found it and it worked out for you.
10-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Ah man, I apologize, I meant to link the manual and forgot. Chalk it up to a senior moment. Glad you found it and it worked out for you.
Hey no problem. Initially i was looking at the manual for just Electro (without X), and it had different and very confusing battery requirement. later i realized the difference in model, and found the proper manual.

but thanks for the help though.

10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, I picked up one of these attached to a lens I bought -- the meter was working and I pulled a PX28L 6volt lithium (that's the L I guess) battery out of it, so that sounds right.
10-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, I picked up one of these attached to a lens I bought -- the meter was working and I pulled a PX28L 6volt lithium (that's the L I guess) battery out of it, so that sounds right.
mine took px28a (alkaline) i guess. but i can't seem to get rid of "over exposure" arrow (the one on the left corner) for some reason, even at F16 and shutter 1/1000. Although i was testing indoors, with subdued light. now i wonder if light meter is defective.
10-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by L&D Quote
mine took px28a (alkaline) i guess. but i can't seem to get rid of "over exposure" arrow (the one on the left corner) for some reason, even at F16 and shutter 1/1000. Although i was testing indoors, with subdued light. now i wonder if light meter is defective.
Battery in wrong way? (-) is supposed to face into the camera.

Steve
10-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Battery in wrong way? (-) is supposed to face into the camera.

Steve
battery inserted correctly, otherwise (according to the manual) the battery checker lamp would not light up and light meter arrows would not work. and also, i've inserted battery according to instruction printed directly inside battery compartment (checked and double checked).

it seems that when i turn the shutter dial to a position when it clicks, and depress the DOF preview lever firmly, over-exposure arrow lights up, but when i turn the shutter dial slightly above 1/1000 and out of click position, the arrow is absent. BTW stopping down the lens all the way to F16 doesn't help. Tried different lenses with automatic and manual aperture settings - same result - overexposure arrow is on.
10-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I remember correctly, that's the problem with my black ITS.
10-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
L&D
Forum Member

Original Poster
UPD:

I've played with settings some more and here's what i have discovered. When i set (sensitivity) ASA dial at 50 or below, and shutter speed at 1/1000 underexposure indicator lights up (with mamiya/sekor 55/1.4 wide open), when i change the shutter speed to 1/500, overexposure indicator lights up and stays lit all the way through F16, and even with lens cap on. Now, i know these both readings are incorrect, there is no way 1/500 indoors at ASA 50 should trigger the overexposure indicator. But the fact that, i am able to trigger both over and under lamps - shows that they are working and aren't burnt. (phew).... I also have found service manual online, and discovered pretty interesting stuff under "Malfunction of the exposure readout circuit". So according to service manual, my tl electro x seems to be suffering from following:

4.2.5 Adjustment of the exposure readout circuit.
Adjustment of the exposure readout circuit consists of either one of the following two methods:
One method consists of loosening the two screws on top of the slide resistor assembly and turning to offset resistor ring to alter its position in relation with the brush. This method (providing a balanced shifting of the offset resistor characteristics) enables precise regulation of the 'light turn-off point' without altering the 'light turn-off range'. The other consists of adjustment of the 30K semi-fixed resistor incorporated in the amplifier unit. This provides effective regulation of the 'light turn-off point' of the "OVER" indicator lamp.

4.2.5.1 Improper adjustment of the 'light turn-off' position.
The 'light turn-off' position generally tends to shift toward a direction providing under-exposure at all light levels.
This malfunction is caused when the resistance of the offset resistor (VR-1) rises to a level beyond the standard reading. To repair, turn the offset resistor ring in a left motion to effect a balanced shifting of the resistor characteristics.
The 'light turn-off' position generally tends to shift toward a direction providing over-exposure at all light levels.
This malfunction is caused when the resistance of the BALANCING resistor (VR-1) declines below the standard level. To make adjustment, turn the offset resistor ring in a right motion.
4.2.5.2 The 'light turn-off' range is either excessive or too limited. The factory standard calls for a 'light turn-off' range of 1/3 to 1-2/3 EV and, therefore, the following adjustment must be made in case the range is determined to be excessive or too limited. Because this range is adjusted on the basis of the function of the "OVER" indicator lamp, the VR-1 must be properly regulated in case it is determined after adjustment of the 'light turn-off range' that the 'light turn-off point' has shifted from the normal position. (Refer to pertinent details given later.)
Excessively wide 'light turn-off range'.
This can be attributed to adjustment of the 'light turn-off range' adjustment resistor (30K ohm VR) to a resistance reading below the normal level. To repair, turn the resistor in a left motion with the aid of a screw-driver to a setting that provides higher resistance.
The 'light turn-off' position generally tends to shift toward a direction providing over-exposure at all light levels.
This malfunction is caused when the resistance of the BALANCING resistor (VR-1) declines below the standard level. To make adjustment, turn the offset resistor ring in a right motion.
4.2.5.3 In case both the 'light turn-off range' and 'light turn-off position' are determined to be not up to standard. First of all, adjust the 'light turn-off' adjustment resistor (30K ohm) and set the 'light turn-off range' to normal level. Then, adjust the BALANCING resistor ring (VR-1) and set the 'light turn-off point' to the required position.

Looks like, i have to pop it open...
01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

Help

Reading through this forum, I thought you guys may be able to help me.
I recently came into possession of the Yashica TL-Electro (I believe it's 50mm, this is what the lens says. I am NOT camera savvy).
However I am having difficulty finding batteries for this camera,can anybody help me out?

Also, Do I even need the batteries in order to take pictures? Everything seems pretty manual, so I'm not entirely sure.

Any info you can give me on this camera would be great!
I just got it yesterday from a relative and know nothing about it.
Thanks!
01-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Anything to do with Yashicas go here:

Yashica Electro 35 & Rangefinder camera user Homepage