Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

TOTAL digital newbie with no clue, need a small digicam

I am a die-hard filmie. I've resisted digital because I love my K1000 & I don't want to spend any MORE time on the computer. Frankly I'm just not even interested in digital.
However, a regional newspaper editor has asked if I'd be interested in contributing some local news. I'm not even sure I want to take the gig right now -- bad timing, but, if I did, I guess I'd need a little digicam for the job. I wouldn't waste film on village council meetings & community suppers. Plus getting film developed is an all-day trip to the nearest lab.
It doesn't pay much so I wouldn't spend much -- get something cheap on eBay. Just wondering if anyone has any basic advice for what to look for. It would have to work with WinXP Pro SP2, & I don't have a card reader or any of that stuff. And even though this is the non-Pentax forum, yes, I'll look at Pentax too. Of course!
Any kind advice for this really stupid question?

10-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What is your budget?
Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera?
... or a camera which can use the lenses you have for your K1000?
Coming from K1000, would you accept a camera with just the LCD screen without a viewfinder, or is a viewfinder mandatory for you?
10-09-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Just my 2-cents...

If this might be a regular gig of contributions... You should consider a dSLR, but not a new one and so you could get it cheaper... also K-mount lens wise.
An old Kx will be around same price as a good P&S. Not too many P&S cameras left with viewfinders and few worth looking through.

Also, as you are a...
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
die-hard filmie
... have you considered processing your own?
C-41 and Black & White are not complicated.

...that all I have, good luck and hope you locate a helpful camera.
10-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want an easy, point and shootish sort of camera which also offers the benefits of your familiar k-mount lenses (especially if they are A series or later), look at the Pentax K-01.
If you want an all-in-one simple digicam I don't even know where to start. I have a Canon G-11 and G-12 in my family and they are excellent, but I'm sure Nikon, Panasonic, Sony and others have equally good options.

10-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Banned

Since the original posted is not interested in the computer side of digital cameras; they might have little use for raw files. In terms of capability try a Sony p&s. Sony offers models at and above 16mp also with a 20x+ optical zoom. Most of the Sony p&s models aren't much larger than a pack of cigs and almost fit into a pocket. The Sony models are also hand holdable in most any lighting - more so than most any camera on the existing market.

In terms of creativity the higher end Canon models would do nicely, but - at the cost of optical zoom range
10-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, not much use for raw. Budget, as small as I can get away with. A pocket-size p&s would probably do, though I'm not sure how many megapixels would be considered adequate for these. I mean, I know megapixels aren't everything, & as far as the little tiny p&s 's are concerned, it seems like you could kind of flip a coin & anything would do, if you don't need it for really serious photography -- more like snapshots to be printed rather small in b&w in a little regional paper with a pretty small readership. Viewfinder, I'm not sure. I could probably take it or leave it, given that with a tiny camera the viewfinder window would probably be really tiny, although holding a camera up a couple of feet from my face seems very weird to me.
Oh, and, as far as batteries are concerned, I see that some use AA or AAA, while others have "manufacturer specific" batteries. I would prefer something that's easy to get since I live in an isolated area & would probably have to buy replacement batteries online, but is there an advantage of one over the other? Do the AA/AAA cameras suck batteries dead very quickly?
I think I'll hold off on a fancy DSLR that will use my K lenses, until the National Geographic assignment comes along
10-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I've just - yesterday - bought a Fujifilm X10 and so far I've been absolutely blown away by it. It does low-light well by doubling the pixels up on its 12MP sensor to 6MP, shoots great jpegs and seems to pretty accurately synthesise the Fujifilm range of films. The 28-112 equivalent lens is much better than I was hoping for as well. I did a wide range of test shots today, from macro at 1cm to hoverflies and flowers in the garden to shots of my housemate and dogs and it was great for all of them. Feels brilliant in the hand as well with its full magnesium construction (I've hardly put it down since I got it) and you can fully manually control it, though the manual focus is a let down; there's a real zoom ring on the lens, but to focus you have to turn a dial on the rear which is only really feasible if autofocus has got you pretty close. Might be a bit more than you were intending on spending but I can see myself using it as much, if not more, than my DSLRs and I've always fancied a rangefinder.

As for batteries: Fuji's own are pretty pricey but I've ordered a pair from the UK for well under £6 delivered so I'll see what they're like. If they're any good I'll order a whole fistfull of them.

Otherwise, I've played with a few P&Ss of my mates and can recommend pretty much anything in the sub-hundred bucks range from Sony or Fuji. The cheaper Nikons and Canons seem to rely too much on their branding. TechRadar | Technology News And Reviews seem to give fair reviews for further help, and Leading cloud-based social commerce and review solutions company - Reevoo is good for actual user reviews.

10-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
I've just - yesterday - bought a Fujifilm X10 and so far I've been absolutely blown away by it...... can recommend pretty much anything in the sub-hundred bucks range from Sony or Fuji. The cheaper Nikons and Canons seem to rely too much on their branding.

Heh -- way over my budget, even on eBay. This is for little snapshots of the aforementioned community events & it's a very low-paying assignment. So I was looking at how many photos I'd have to send the paper to pay off the camera
I did get the impression that the little "sub-hundred bucks" ones are all much of a muchness... there's such a glut of them, with all those alphanumeric names which I'm already tired of trying to sort out.
Anyway, wound up with a little Pentax Optio RS1500 for the one & only reason that it was the cheapest thing going at the time, from a seller who sounded good. It does look like a toy, & the custom faceplate thing -- couldn't really care less. I got the impression from reviews I read that it wasn't the greatest & made noisy images at 100%, but -- it was cheap. If the reporting gig turns into anything serious I can always get something else. At the moment it's in the mail, somewhere...
10-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Excellent, I'm sure it'll do what you ask of it and you'll get the shots you need. Exciting stuff getting a regular gig like that and seeing your name in print - I still remember the thrill I got when I first saw 'photography by Rod' on the webpage of the local internet radio station.
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm looking at a Canon G2 to get the kid for Christmas as she seems quite interested in taking pictures. It 4mp, which is enough for up to A4 prints at a pinch, has a proper optical viewfinder (not an electronic screen one) as well as being able to use the screen. The flash is reasonably powerful, but it has a hotshoe too, and you can control both aperture and shutter speed.

They seem to go for about £30 to £40 in the uk. The G3 has quite a few more useful features which may suit you, but the G2 seems perfectly useable.
10-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a highly regarded Canon S80 that has the optical viewfinder as well as the LCD. All the controls that a DSLR has as well as point and shoot. 2 Batteries and charger.
Do some research on this. Would take $100 PayPal accepted and would ship to Canada.