Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon 6D wifi and GPS.

While some seem un-impressed with the Canon 6d, there are a couple of features that intrigue me.

1. GPS, I frequently GPS tag my images, but it is a pain. I load them into my computer, , load a GPS track and then match the images to the track. YOu only have to do one or two.. but it takes time. The canon 6 d will tag my pictures do that automatically. No need for all the hassle.

2. But the most fascinating thing would be this

Thus, you can geotag all your images and transfer them straight to a computer, the internet (YouTube videos are going to take a jump in quality) and of course direct to your iPhone or iPad. In fact, apps will let you control the camera direct from your smartphone.
This is neat stuff indeed. The reason I use my iPad to take all my photos these days is GPS, editing and sharing convenience. And Canon just solved all of these in one go. With a DSLR.

Read more at Canon 6D: Tiny Full-Frame Body Squeezes In GPS And Wi-Fi | Cult of Mac

You can control some functions of the camera from your iPad, and then look at the image on the larger screen. Possibly even edit in iPhoto. For those who complain about no tilt screen. Being able to shoot in live view from an App on your iPad would be pretty hard to beat. Not to mention the opportunity to look at preview on the much bigger higher resolution screen. Like focus peeking on steroids. I have to say the possibilities are pretty wild if all that is actually in the package.

I don't currently have any plans to purchase any Canon or FF equipment, but I'm still going to see what happens with this camera as point of general interest. With good enough IQ I still think this camera could turn out to be the sleeper of the year. Recently having compared 24 MP D3200 with K-5 IIs and having found that you actually got less IQ with the 24 MP unit, when images for this camera are available I'll be ready to compare this unit with the D600/D800 to see if the higher MP of those cameras actually increase IQ, or just increase file size. I've never before considered spending time with a Canon camera, but these features could make this a winner. Can't wait until the review sites get ahold of it and start putting it through it's paces. With everything else it has that nobody else has..., this could be a camera I have to have even if I don't really want it. If the IQ is there, how will I be able to say no? I'm not optimistic... I think Canon in their desire to keep this camera from taking over from their high end cameras, may have crippled it a bit more than they should have, especially with the 20 MP sensor, which in my best guess is very unlikely to compete with the D600's 24. But things like that, you don't know until the images are released, you can speculate as much as you want about what might be, but, nothing is proved until it's proved. I learned that with the supposedly "superior" D3200 images, that were not as good as K-5 IIs images blown up to the same size in my image editor. According to common logic, the D3200 images should have been better. But they weren't. Reality trumps theory, every time.

10-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with you, Norm about GPS. When I had my k-r I had the Pentax gps add on. It worked wonderfully. I've no interest in using my cell phone or other gps device and then messing about matching images and time on a computer. I like my GPS like my heroin - mainlined.

as far as reality trumps theory... Where I used to see that was computer monitors. Two brands might have the exact same specs, but the monitors would look entirely different. I think we see much the same in cameras. Sure there is the sensor, but then you have the other electronics and everything else that comes into play. Simply thinking a camera that uses a sensor that delivers wonderfully in one camera is going to produce wonderfully in another camera is a crapshoot.