Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The V2 is so horrendously ugly it rules itself out for me no matter how good of a camera it is. It does not represent "good design". Given there are so many mirrorless options now I can't understand what Nikon were thinking when they penned this.

10-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Not a huge fan of burst shooting, etc, but I am a huge fan of IQ. To me, this camera with its small sensor can not touch the 16mp APS-C sensor in the NEX 5/6 and with the improvements and built in (and much much better resolution) viewfinder of the NEX-6, it would be a no-brainer choosing that over the suddenly bulky Nikon.

Jason
10-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I get the feeling some of the respondents in this thread may have under-estimated what a big deal 15fps with AF tracking is. This sort of capability would have been almost unheard of a few short years ago, for any camera.

Looking forward to the camera.

PS - I own both the J1 and various NEX cameras (NEX-5N, NEX-F3). The NEX cameras are nowhere near the J1 in terms of burst capability. The Nikon 1 cameras have deep buffers, the NEX can only do fast burst mode with NO AF or exposure adjustment in between, and they have woefully shallow buffers.
I do understand. It sound like something designed for sports photography, but for me personally, I would be irritated deleting 14 similar photos just to keep the one I want. I seldom do burst of more than two or three images, myself, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that will jump for the chance to take 15 fps.
10-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I seldom do burst of more than two or three images, myself, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that will jump for the chance to take 15 fps.
Actually, the secret is you should never do more than a few images at a time. For example, even on the Canon EOS 1D Mk IV (which is capable of 10 fps), I rarely take more than about 5.

Timing and anticipation is just as important, if not more so, on burst mode. Hold the shutter down, and no matter how large the camera buffer is, eventually you will fill it up, and then you will miss the *real* opportunity.

For example, here is one taken yesterday (again, manual focus - the lens is a Leica Summicron 90mm): this is probably the 2nd or 3rd shot out of the burst. I was manually tracking the tiger's movements using manual focus, so some of my shots were out of focus, but surprisingly not many.

10-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
You can call it whatever you like, but sometimes capturing the moment really is about capturing the moment:
Yes, but it's also about finding moments that are worth capturing.
10-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Still pretty uninteresting to me.
Agree. But it is still interesting to see how far Nikon is willing to go with this system. The 35/1.2 shows they are trying to make it a bit more appealing and this camera body finally has a decent mode wheel - I laughed when I saw the one they put on the V1/J1 versions. But they still need to do a lot more work to make it compelling and at then end of the day, one has to wonder if the effort wouldn't have been better spent on a different product. It's not smaller, it's not better, so what is the point?

Canon showed more maturity here. I can see their EOS-M system growing it they want it to grow, but I don't see how this system can grow even if Nikon wants it to grow.
10-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
JHD
Veteran Member

If anticipating and clicking the shutter at the right time were only this easy...

Attached Images

10-30-2012, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I laughed when I saw the one they put on the V1/J1 versions. But they still need to do a lot more work to make it compelling and at then end of the day, one has to wonder if the effort wouldn't have been better spent on a different product. It's not smaller, it's not better, so what is the point?
But that's the thing - forum users may laugh, but customers out there are embracing this system, and Nikon is laughing all the way to the bank.
What is the point? To sell more cameras. Nikon One is already one of the top selling mirrorless camera system. As a Nikon camera, it does not need to be smaller or better - it would simply sell. Nikon One is a perfect example of this.

And I believe EOS M would also be a sales success just because it is a Canon, regardless of how slow or pathetic its AF is.
10-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

DxO have just reviewed the 1 J2. They were underwhelmed.
10-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #25
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
DxO have just reviewed the 1 J2. They were underwhelmed.
Not exactly an in depth review. And they didn't post so much as one sample image! My goodness why even bother?
10-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But that's the thing - forum users may laugh, but customers out there are embracing this system, and Nikon is laughing all the way to the bank.
Shh - don't tell some forum users they are not the centre of the universe :-)

Whenever I use the pink Nikon J1 I get a lot of attention - people really ooh and aah over it and want to know where to buy, how much etc. Once I was stopped by a security guard in Hong Kong - I thought he was going to tell me no photos, but no he wanted details so that he can buy it. I am assuming for his wife but who knows.

The Nikon J1 was also featured in last season's Masterchef. Since then I have seen a lot of people carrying that camera - the pink version is extremely distinctive and can be easily spotted from a distance.