Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It does help, thanks. It tells me that if what I'm seeking is better image quality and higher resolution so I can make those 300dpi 24" prints, then yea i'll be taking the best lenses i can get

10-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no reason to go full-frame if you can't afford the best lenses, IMO (or at least sharp ones). So yeah, F2.8 zooms and fast primes is the right way to go.

Pentax lets you save a lot in the long run thanks to the availability of sharp vintage lenses, but there isn't much you can adapt on Nikon.

Speaking of FF, I heard that it's now fully confirmed that Pentax will be making one, and that late 2013 is going to be the target release date.

But I know many won't wait that long w/o an official announcement...
I doubt many will wait even with an official announcement. Look at how many Pentax shooters have already added a Nikon D800/D600/D700/5DMkii/5DMkiii/6D to their bag.
Nikon and Canon both have "1st mover" advantage with the budget full frames. In a year, the available pool of potential customers will be substantially smaller.

I believe you're even looking at getting a non-Pentax full-frame soon. If you're looking, and I consider you a very loyal consumer, then more of us are looking than even Pentax realizes.

And where will the technology to fill this full frame Pentax come frome? I don't see a 21 pt focusing system, full frame SR, ring motors, 4:2:2 video in any Pentax camera today. It's all going to be 1st generation technology for Pentax.
Oh, did I mention the SDM full frame lenses?

Don't get me wrong. I love my Pentax cameras and the relationship I've had with them. I see the road ahead and it's not pretty. It's not just steep. It's vertical.

Ok, I'm off my rant, and going back to the B&H website to look at more stuff.

p.s. If they want to stop the bleeding, they should start showing off what they have. It's not like it's going to make a difference to Canon or Nikon since they have already announced their products. Pentax has nothing to lose and the world to gain by engaging their customers early.
10-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to have hi-jacked the thread. My deepest apologies.
11-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree with you whole heatedly. This is my reasoning for looking at the D600 very seriously. I've decided to upgrade a few other tools first before plunging, but I see me with a Full Frame on my bag this time next year.

I see the same uphill struggle for Pentax with the new tech to develop. I'd almost take a non-SR variant in the first gen model to cut down on the pain.

SDM has been addressed, and I think we are out of the woods there from here on in.

11-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I am one of the people who also has a 5DII in their bag. Though these new "budget" FF cameras are smaller, I am just not yet convinced that FF is the be all and end all. The K5/K30 still represents a lot of firepower in a small, compact, weathersealed package, especially with the limiteds involved. The 5D is a behemoth next to the K5, and I don't expect that the 6D/D600 are all that smaller.

Pentax has its problems, but they are not insurmountable. If they want to make a FF camera they already have several solid primes and they just need to add a few zooms into the mix to get it started. SDM has likely been figured out. AF is a sticking point for Pentax, but it's good enough for my uses and if I need sports AF, I would go ahead and get the right tool for the job, likely a higher end Canikon. Pentax still represents the right tool for the job for me for my outdoor pursuits.
11-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
The 5D is a behemoth next to the K5, and I don't expect that the 6D/D600 are all that smaller.
5D MK II vs D600

K-5 II vs D600

K-5 II vs 5D MK II

K-5 II vs 6D
11-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Well, the sizes are not as big as I thought they were...I do eat my words at times.

K5II vs D600 with zooms. The K5 is still noticeably smaller and has WR throughout. I did this comparison with comparable zooms I'd want for my outdoor exploits/landscape work. I will say the D600 is tempting and if they can make these much smaller I will ditch the systems I am using in favor of one setup. The D600/6D is on its way there.

11-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
The K5 is still noticeably smaller and has WR throughout.
WR body but I don't see WR on any of the coveted Limited lenses.
11-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I would love a WR DA Limited in theory (esp. in 31 or 35mm). However, you compromise the WR every time you change a lens, so it makes more sense to have the sealing in the zooms IMO. I actually shot my DA 35 Macro in the rain during a backpacking trip (without problems) and there was no way I was changing that lens out as the K5 body was all wet.