Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

And the sensor..? The D3200's sensor performs worse in noise and dynamic range. It has more resolution, but that's it.
I don't know what sensor the 5200 is going to have and how it will perform, but 24mp definitely gives more detail than a 16mp sensor without AA filter. (At least this is my conclusion after comparing lots of pics from Nex 7, K-5, K-5IIs, K-01, K30 on my TV and PC screens. And I'm not talking about differences at pixel level.) My guess is Pentax launched K5-IIs to buy a few months and they are going to release 24mp cameras--with good sensors, that is, at least as good as Nex 7's sensor--in the first half of next year.

11-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I don't know what sensor the 5200 is going to have and how it will perform, but 24mp definitely gives more detail than a 16mp sensor without AA filter. (At least this is my conclusion after comparing lots of pics from Nex 7, K-5, K-5IIs, K-01, K30 on my TV and PC screens. And I'm not talking about differences at pixel level.) My guess is Pentax launched K5-IIs to buy a few months and they are going to release 24mp cameras--with good sensors, that is, at least as good as Nex 7's sensor--in the first half of next year.
The link itself says - the D3200 24MP sensor. Which isn't fantastic in noise performance (which the NEX7 sensor is) or DR (which is kinda important).

And while it's great to think that 24MP is cool and all, but I thought we were over the MP race a year ago.
11-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The link itself says - the D3200 24MP sensor. Which isn't fantastic in noise performance (which the NEX7 sensor is) or DR (which is kinda important).

And while it's great to think that 24MP is cool and all, but I thought we were over the MP race a year ago.
Yes, D3200's sensor is pretty weak. I wouldn't get a camera with that sensor.
I'm not a fan of the MP race. My camera is a K-x. I have't upgraded to K-5 or K-30, because I thought the difference in terms of IQ--which is what primarily matters to me--wasn't worth the cost. But, as I said, I've compared the Nex 7 with the Pentax 16mp cameras on my displays (a 42" Led TV and a 22" IPS monitor), and the difference is clearly better with the Nex.

If you don't believe me, take a look here:
Sony NEX-7 First Impressions
and here:
Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

Last edited by causey; 11-06-2012 at 09:56 AM.
11-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

No - I do agree that the NEX7 sensor is good (and I am hoping the K-3 gets that sensor with the Pentax touch, like how the k-5 is better than the D7000 and NEX5N even though it's the same sensor).

My only point was that yusuf said the D5200 is CLEARLY better than the k-5II in sensor and AF, and I really don't think that's true at all.

11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

No - I do agree that the NEX7 sensor is good (and I am hoping the K-3 gets that sensor with the Pentax touch, like how the k-5 is better than the D7000 and NEX5N even though it's the same sensor).

My only point was that yusuf said the D5200 is CLEARLY better than the k-5II in sensor and AF, and I really don't think that's true at all.
I agree. Between d3200's sensor and K-5II's, the Pentax wins.
11-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

...how...wha...? Where do you even get the AF info? If it's the same as the D3200 (which is the same as the D5100), then it's not going to be superior. At all.

And the sensor..? The D3200's sensor performs worse in noise and dynamic range. It has more resolution, but that's it.

And the D5200 has to compete with the k-30, not the k-5II. Completely different class there...
No Intention to hurt sentiments!!!

Sony sensor in D5200 is different than D3200 and it's same or updated version of NEX-7 as per some discussions. About AF, lets accept, Pentax will not be able to touch Canikon in near future, unless some miracles (but that too doesn't happen now a days).

I love and have been with Pentax but com'on, Pentax needs to catch up. Now if you think from a new buyers perspective, It simply does not make sense for a new buyer to buy Pentax K-5 II at same or price while D5200 has more resolution (and that translates on more details if it has same/updated sensor from Sony), better AF so definitely more keeper and certainly more lenses to chose from. Also, this is an alarm for Pentax, D7000 update likely to be very soon.

I don't know about what class k-5 II is and may be it does not matter for many of us, I am just talking about a better camera. My personal opinion!
11-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
while D5200 has more resolution
High MP don't always translate into more resolution. That's worth noting. It depends a lot on the quality of the sensor, the AA filter (or lack thereof), the image processing engine, the lens, the ISO, lighting etc.

As a case in point, I was quite surprised a few years ago to see that the 12MP K-x, when shooting RAW, could deliver resolution comparable to the 18MP Canon 7D, depending on how you shot it:

(charts from http://www.photoreview.com.au)

High MP can deliver high resolution, for sure, but only if everything else falls into line.

Last edited by rawr; 11-07-2012 at 05:51 AM.
11-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony sensor in D5200 is different than D3200 and it's same or updated version of NEX-7 as per some discussions. About AF, lets accept, Pentax will not be able to touch Canikon in near future, unless some miracles (but that too doesn't happen now a days).

I love and have been with Pentax but com'on, Pentax needs to catch up. Now if you think from a new buyers perspective, It simply does not make sense for a new buyer to buy Pentax K-5 II at same or price while D5200 has more resolution (and that translates on more details if it has same/updated sensor from Sony), better AF so definitely more keeper and certainly more lenses to chose from. Also, this is an alarm for Pentax, D7000 update likely to be very soon.

I don't know about what class k-5 II is and may be it does not matter for many of us, I am just talking about a better camera. My personal opinion!
As has been said before, the K5 II is not the competition of the D5200 and people looking for the features that the K5 offers will be poorly satisfied with the D5200, even if it really did offer a huge improvement in autofocus and sensor capability over the K5.

As far as auto focus goes, at this point, Pentax does have two issues. Tracking auto focus, which is not there yet, but is significantly improved. And size of auto focus points (Pentax's are too big). But I doubt in most situations, with a comparable lens (say a Sigma 70-200 HSM) on both cameras you could tell that much of a difference.

Second, as Rawr says, the increased resolution is probably not going to be apparent in most situations. It requires low iso, good lighting, a high quality lens and precise auto focus. When all of those things come together, you may see some improvement in resolution, but in real world situations, the 24 megapixel sensor is not going to give much resolution improvement over the 16 megapixel sensor, particularly not when you consider that the D5200 users will be using kit lenses and consumer telephotos. All they will see is bigger files and a little bit less dynamic range and high iso performance.

To me, the big differences between the K30 and the D5200 will be in terms of video capture (the D5200 will be better) and in terms of still photography (K30 wins). Having a 100 percent pentaprism, 2 control wheels, sealed body and features like Tav mode just make a camera so much more usable for still photography. I wouldn't consider a camera body that didn't offer those features.
11-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

This is good news: this means Pentax needs to offer something comparable very soon.
I know Sony has agreements with Nikon and Pentax regarding the usage of sensors. I'm glad Pentax didn't use the sensor Nikon put in their D3200 and released K-30 and K-5II/s instead. But the 24mp camera Pentax needs to release next year, that's the camera I'm waiting for. If the Pentax 24mp sensor is going to be just a bit better than the sensors in D5200 and Nex 7, it will be a hit.
12-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D5200 is out...

and I only see an updated sensor and AF module, nothing else changed... I think. Same 24mp sensor as the D3200 prolly, + the D7000's AF module