Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Opinions on the Samsung NX10 + 30mm kit

Pentax gears are expensive where I live, and scarce. The DA 35 f2.4 that I'd like to have costs about $300 new. Looking for alternatives, I found a Samsung NX10 kitted with the 30mm F2 for $500. It seems to me this is a good deal; having a wider faster lens with a new body for just $200 more. It would be a nice 2nd camera. And from what I read, It's still pretty good camera even 2 years after it first came out. It may not have the same high ISO capability of my K-x but with f2 I think I can just use lower ISO. But I'd like to hear from you guys. Is it really a good deal?

Thanks
Wahid

11-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the NX100, which has the same sensor. It's an upgraded sensor to the one in the K-7. Clean images can be had at 1600 ISO. The 30mm lens is great. I don't know if I'd pay $500, but it's probably worth that.
11-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the exact same kit. The NX10 is ergonomically pretty nice and well built. The sensor is more or less the same Samsung as Pentax K20D/K-7 had, so it's 2 or 3 generations behind the current Sony APS-C ones. I wouldn't shoot at ISO 1600 unless I really really need to. The auto-ISO only goes up to 800 and that tells something. The AF isn't very fast but it's nicely accurate, not like the notorious Pentax PDAF. The lens is made of plastic, is very small and light, but I find it excellent optically. A real pleasure to use. Considering all the different aspects, I find that particular lens and camera combo to be lots of fun and using just the one "normal" lens makes one shoot in a flexible style.

But worth $500 today? Sorry, no way. I'd pay $250-300 max. Can't you buy from abroad?

EDIT: Or is it a kit with both the kit zoom and the 30mm? Then it's better, but still too expensive IMO.
11-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I read about the AF speed being 3 times slower than the k-r (so also the k-x). Thanks for the confirmation, Raff. I know I need something faster than what I have, so it's a no go. Shame, If it is at least as fast, $500 still sounds OK-ish for me. Buying abroad (through mail) would be a first for me, but I guess it's time to evolve

Thanks for the help guys.

PS: It's the 30mm only kit.

11-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The only MILCs that are as fast would be the j1/2 or the OM-D.
11-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The only MILCs that are as fast would be the j1/2 or the OM-D.
Both having smaller sensors and are more expensive. How 'bout your Nex-5N how would you rate it?
11-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
Both having smaller sensors and are more expensive. How 'bout your Nex-5N how would you rate it?
It's usable for AF, but it is not as fast as a PDAF camera. Sony introduced a hybrid solution with their latest versions. We will have to see how that works out. There are some tests online with the kit lens, but supposedly the kit lens isn't supported in hybrid mode, yet. Steve Huff says it is fast, but didn't give a full review.