Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss Icon Nettar Problem

It is a 1935 or so model i believe from some web search. 6 by 9 120 film, , Nettar Anistogmat 1:6.3 10,5 cm (105 mm)
I just had the lens and shutter CLAed and I shot the first roll at various distances and f/.. etc
The portrait shots up to 8 foot ( 2 metre) or so are sharp - pleasant images in the old style.

The distance shots are all blurred.

Tonight I made a rudimentary ground glass screen from an Ilford Multigrade paper box ( clear, thick plastic)
with some Scotch Matte Magic tape on one side. Not the most accurate ground glass, but it verifies the problem.
Sure enough, on this "ground glass" also, lens is very sharp out to about 3 metre , when the distance ring says infinity.

But house lights across the street are way out of focus at infinity.
I verified the folder arms have all 4 pins right out to the fully extended positions in the slides
Any suggestions as to what is wrong? I suspect a re-assembly issue.
I suppose the right thing is to send it back.

Attached Images

11-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is correct. The lens wasn't collimated correctly.

It isn't too hard to do yourself, but if you paid for a CLA then the repair person ought to correct the problem.

Here's a good way to do it:
Bringing Infinity Indoors

I do mine in reverse of this - I use a SLR with long lens and shine the lamp through the to-be-collimated camera. Depending on the design of the folder's lens, it may be as simple as loosening the bezel, re-setting the lens to be sharp at infinity, and then re-tightening the bezel so it indicates correct infinity.
11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Nesster, I will file that collimation doc.
I contacted the repair shop and Nettar is going back for correction.

I suppose we fortunate that there are still skilled repairers.

Anyway I hope the lens when corrected, remains as nice for portraits as it is now!

By the way, is this camera suitable for color ? I want to try some Fujifilm Pro 400 C41.
Repairer said the lens has aged with a color cast, as they all do.
11-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey, why not go for it w/color. The rendition will be different than with modern lenses, but most often very nice and natural.
Here's a sample from a 1922-24 Goerz + a "100%" crop

Here's a sample from a '30s Certo with a Xenar

11-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow,
I will give the Nettar a go on color when it comes back.
When I first started using the Nettar, coming from slr, I found it too difficult to use and nearly gave up.
However after some experience on the Speed Graphic, the Nettar seems like a point and shoot.
11-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found the user manual for the Zeiss Ikon Nettar on Butkus ( maybe August 1937) and it says
"Portraits and near exposures at 6 to 7 feet should be made only at full aperture of the diaphragm"

??
02-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not sure what to do here,
The Nettar was away for about 7 months in 2012 for the shutter repair/lens clean and came back with a lens problem per my original post.
I think the problem was just an element reversed etc.
I sent it back on Nov 12 2012 (more than 3 months ago).
I sent email 2 weeks ago and answer was "mid next week"
What should I do, without being rude or anything...?